BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2014 9:30 am  #1

Tom and Viv

Michael Hastings: Tom and Viv

Benedict Cumberbatch stars in the heartbreaking story of TS Eliot's marriage to Vivienne Haigh-Wood.Michael Hastings' best-known play charts the turbulent, doomed marriage of the young TS Eliot and the charismatic Vivienne Haigh-Wood. This moving, highly charged study has been described as 'one of the most important plays of the 20th century'.Stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Tom, Lia Williams as Viv and David Haig as Maurice. Adapted and directed by Peter Kavanagh.

On BBC Radio 4 Extra at 4pm today, or listen again for next 7 days.

September 6, 2014 9:56 am  #2

Re: Tom and Viv

Thank you, this is quite a good play although it centres very much on Viv's character. But we get some interesting scenes with Benedict and get another chance to hear one of his American accents. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 6, 2014 6:26 pm  #3

Listening to this right now...

I really enjoy this story; I would love it even if Ben wasn't voicing it.
Ben's voice is so different in a way; the accent really does a lot to it... but I love what he does!

I rather like the breathiness *hides*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 6, 2014 6:48 pm  #4

There an interview here, with Valerie Eliot, T S Eliot's second wife.  She gives a different view on Vivienne and the relationship.  (Although, obviously, she wasn't there at the time).

I was struggling a bit with interruptions when I was listening to it, so I think I'll watch the film (to help with picturing locations, etc.), then go back and listen again when I'm alone. 

I didn't expect T S Eliot to sound so American!  But I suppose his accent modified over time, and would have been stronger when he was younger (at the time of the scenes in Tom and Viv).  I thought it got less strong even during the play - did I imagine that?   But yes, Phantom, Benedicts voice did seem particularly breathy at times. 

Oh, and there was a scene in Baker Street!  That made me smile (not that it was a cheerful scene).

Last edited by Liberty (September 6, 2014 6:51 pm)

Board footera