BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2014 4:21 pm  #1

Mark's "Ask me anything" on Reddit

Gutted.
1) I have no idea how Reddit works (nor do I know what it is exactly, to be honest)
2) That was so two hours ago

Yet, if you want to check it, have a go! It's an interesting read! I learnt a couple of things and giggled a lot!

"THIS IS MARK GATISS. ACTOR. WRITER. DO WHAT YOU WILL WITH ME" (Oh God, if you knew... )

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2fjtw8/this_is_mark_gatiss_actor_writer_do_what_you_will/

Just like old times...

September 5, 2014 4:43 pm  #2

Re: Mark's "Ask me anything" on Reddit

Thank you for posting!  I'm sorry to have missed it!

For those of you unfamiliar with Reddit, I find it easiest to go here, which gives all Marks answers.  If you want to see the questions, use the "context" button under each answer.  

September 5, 2014 5:55 pm  #3

Thanks for posting. Missed it, too. What's wrong with this fandom, eh???

I like this:

[–]iloveandrew 31 Punkte 3 hours ago

What's are your plans for today?

[–]Mgatiss[s] 116 Punkte 3 hours ago

Well, I'm doing this for the rest of my life, and then I'm going back to writing Sherlock, which I've been doing all morning.

[–]jurgbury 63 Punkte 2 hours ago

For the love of Pete, quit Reddit and get back to writing

And this:

Hi Mark, loved most of your work so far, and was lucky enough to meet you at the TV BAFTAs in 2012, I have a few questions.

1. What has been your favourite adaptation to work on to date?

[–]Mgatiss[s] 230 Punkte 3 hours ago

MOST?! That is the internet! That is the internet in a nutshell! Loved "most" of your work. Brilliant, really.

1.MOST!

Probably the first Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells.

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 5, 2014 5:58 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 5, 2014 7:48 pm  #4

Oh yes, too bad we all seem to have missed this.
Do you remember Benedict's...? What an evening, with The Graham Norton Show afterwards, if I remember correctly.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 5, 2014 9:21 pm  #5

Thanks, that was a funny read. 

September 6, 2014 10:26 pm  #6

I missed this too.I don't have an account with Reddit though. Interesting read.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

September 7, 2014 5:57 pm  #7

Very interesting read. 

I liked to read about the place where he writes and where Moffat writes, about his favorite scene in Sherlock ( i would have thought that he loves the most the ASIP scene where he is so brilliant) and all the tid-bits. 

September 7, 2014 9:08 pm  #8

Cute picture of him under his comment about having a fringe in his youth! 

It's a very good AMA.  He's so articulate and interesting.   I've just watched the latest Doctor Who (which he wrote) and enjoyed it very much - loads of references to the film with Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone, and a couple of Sherlock references too, I thought. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 8, 2014 1:58 pm)

September 8, 2014 1:23 pm  #9

Hey thanks for the link. It's been an interesting read. I know I should be concentrating on my finals coz the page won't be deleted after sometime or something but couldn't resist. "Ask me anything" with one of Sherlock Showrunner is...

The highlight of the chat for me are these:

Q: How do you connect the dots when you write a mystery -- and what was the best advice you've ever received in regards to writing?

MG: Writing mysteries is very hard. The best thing to do is start at the end and write backwards. That's what Agatha Christie did, that's what Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did. It's a bit like reverse archeology.And the best advice I got was reading an interview with Douglass Adams, and he said that when he was at university, he had a group of about 10 friends who wanted to be writers, and he said that all of them decided to "get another job" in the meantime. And he endured years of poverty while getting started to write, and his friends who all got other jobs never wrote a word... So I think it's worth just persevering.

Q: ...How did you feel when Sherlock won 7 Emmys?

MG: ...Well, we're all delighted, a little overwhelmed, because we came 2 years ago and had 13 nominations and didn't win anything - well we won 4 the week before in the Creative Emmys, so we thought our odds were better, but the fact that we won the most of any show overall was a great shock, so I have to say we were thrilled, I must say.

Q: Hey Mark! How much Mycroft is in you and how much Mark is in Mycroft? If any, what are the similarities?

MG: I look like him. That's a big similarity. Not a lot. I wish I was a millionth as clever as he is. I hope I'm a lot warmer, as a person, than he is. So not a lot, really. He has more hair than me, doesn't he, at the moment, but that's another story! In the original stories, Mycroft is very fat, so we've given him an ongoing paranoia about his weight, so I did a scene where I ran on a treadmill last year, and I've subsequently taken up running, which I enjoy tremendously. So there is that.

Q: ...What's it like to write Mycroft and also be Mycroft? Is there a method to get into character? Do you set yourself up for difficult lines or things to do? I already know you like to torture Benedict with long monologues.

MG: ...Ehm - well, sometimes if I'm writing an episode, I try not to put myself in it, and get persuaded to do so. but it depends really. It's very useful, because I can change the lines on the set without having to ask anyone's permission, which is very good! And, hem, yea, it's nice to do both. Sometimes it's equally nice to just perform it knowing it's someone else's words. It's difficult with Sherlock as I'm there almost the whole time, and I have to go from behind the camera, to go and get changed, to go to the producer's chair so sometimes it's nice to have a clear division and then other times it's nice to go between the two.

Q: What was your favourite moment in Sherlock?...

MG: Oooh, that's difficult! Favourite moment to film was probably the scene with Martin in the cafe at the end of Scandal in Belgravia. The scene was originally interrupted by the London Riots, but when we came to do it, to finish it off, it was a very touching and affecting scene, I think.

Q: Why won't Sherlock get a haircut??

MG: Why should he? Maybe he likes his hair like that! Actually, in the 2 years between series, he shaved it all off, and it grew back just in time for the new show!

Q: Will you make us cry with the new episodes of Sherlock?

MG: It depends on how sentimental you are...

Q: Good morning Mark. I love what you've done with Sherlock and Dr. Who. Your wit amazes me. Is there another childhood story or show you would love to refresh?

MG: Not really, no. I don't really want to do old things, I want to do new things. the problem is it's very hard to convince people to do new things, because if you have an existing brand or story, then half the battle is won because people know what it is. I'm very proud and happy to have been associated with Doctor Who and bringing back Sherlock in its current form, but in terms of other projects, I'd like to do new things, but it's difficult to get them off the ground. There are stories and things I'd like to adapt, but not because they've been done before, but because they are favourites, really. Stay tuned.

Q: Hello Mr. Gatiss! You are a great inspiration and your support of LGBTQA movements means a lot. I'm just curious if you plan on including anymore cannon LGBTQA+ characters in any of the shows you write for, such as Doctor Who and Sherlock? Are there any plans you might already have for the shows that you can give us hints to? Thanks for all your hard work!

MG: Well in terms of Canonical characters, not quite sure what you mean? I'm proud and happy to support and promote LGBTQA rights wherever I can. But I don't want programmes I am associated with to have to bear the weight of too much expectation or responsibility. I think the real victory will come when characters can be incidentally gay without it having to become the focus of the storyline or of the audience's attention. (I'm very profound today).

I (tyko) jolted when I read this response. Reminded me of another interview Mark gave:

...That’s how the revolution happens, as it were: you just become aware that people are incidentally gay. I think when the day comes that you have a big detective show where the first half hour was this man at work, and he’s a maverick, and all the usual things… and then we went home and his boyfriend says, 'Are you alright?', [and] it was just a thing… then something would have genuinely changed....

Q: Have your vision and goals for Sherlock changed since season 1?

MG: Not really. We're basically just making the show we want to make. obviously, its huge global popularity is difficult to ignore, not that we want to ignore it, but the important thing is that we keep telling the stories we want to tell and growing the characters in new and interesting ways.

Last edited by tykobrian (September 8, 2014 1:35 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

September 10, 2014 7:08 am  #10

Finally got around to reading it (and posts again!)… awesome he stopped by the site the day before his episode aired to banter with the fans!  This one was right up there with BC's… love love how humorously witty and bantering they both are.    Makes me feel all the more sympathetic for Andrew having an off day with his.    But all those guys are adorably fun….  not only his Sherlock comments already mentioned, but some of his other awesome quips:

Q - Hello Mark! How do you deal with stressful deadlines?
MG - I ignore them.

Q - Who's the greater evil: Moriarty or the Daleks?
MG - Well, I should say the Daleks, because they operate on an inter-galactic scale, whereas Moriarty's ambitions are a bit more to scale. But you put Moriarty inside a Dalek... if he were small enough to fit...

Q - 'Ow do Mr Gatiss.
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
MG - Meeting and marrying my husband.

Q - How could you and the folks at BBC be so mean and suggest so many different theories on the Fall in ONE DAMN EPISODE?
MG - Em... because we are mean. Hahaha! Because we are mean. And secretly, you love it.

Yup.  Pretty much, yup. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

September 10, 2014 5:54 pm  #11

I felt a bit sorry for Andrew too!  He's much more articulate and charming in interviews, but maybe wasn't sure how to do an AMA.  And he did get some silly questions.

September 13, 2014 6:52 pm  #12

Liberty wrote:

I felt a bit sorry for Andrew too!  He's much more articulate and charming in interviews, but maybe wasn't sure how to do an AMA.  And he did get some silly questions.

So did I, but it was just…. weird.  It's like he thought he was still doing it like the other Twitter q&a's he did?  Or didn't want to, or wasn't really 'with' it?  Because all he ever did were barely one-sentence answers.  And not to defend the rudeness, but some of the frustration was understandable, as some over there were arguing that PR people seem to stick their actors in any kind of new social media thing to connect with fans to promote the project, and they've had actors on there before who didn't really seem to want to do their AMA, or understand it (which kind of backfires on them), so immediately wondered about Andrew.
Definitely be keeping an eye out for any other shared favorite people, though!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera