BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2014 8:26 pm  #21

Re: New Sherlock fan from Germany!

Steph wrote:

I know that this kind of address exists but I've never heard someone address somebody like that. It's really quite unusal. ... all the years I was living here I never heard that kind of address in everyday life. I would never address my friends nor even my colleagues like that.

LOL, of course you wouldn't. I wasn't being entirely serious.

Apparently this form of address is the secret code by which German fans of Sherlock recognise each other, or something. That's the impression I got on the "German TEH" thread anyway.

Last edited by La Jolie (September 2, 2014 8:26 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 2, 2014 11:17 pm  #22

Hi Steph, welcome!

Your english is good, do not worry! You was born in my absolutly favorite city on the whole earth! I lived there for a couple of years, i just love Dresden, my soulcity.... 

(where is Sherlock to tell me about the using of too many exclamation marks , LOL). 

September 2, 2014 11:34 pm  #23

Welcome, new friend! I am new here too.

It's too bad that no one around you likes Sherlock (or they don't let on). I have an 'I am Sherlocked' t-shirt that I get compliments on every time I wear it. Young man at the home improvement store just the other day said something. Asked him if he watched the show, and he said he did. Glad to know young people are watching it too. Not just us, ahem, cougar-y types.

I have to admit I got tickets to Hamlet. I'm thrilled to be going to London next year. It will be my first visit although I've wanted to for quite a while. To see Shakespeare on the stage while I'm there--wow.

September 3, 2014 4:28 am  #24

I'm a bit late, but a warm welcome from me too. I love Hamburg, have been living close to it for a few years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 3, 2014 6:20 am  #25

Moin moin,

also a bit late, but many greetings and welcome to the forum from me too. I am also from Hamburg  (not native though but living here for more than 14 years now)! Great to have an other Nordlicht at the forum. Have fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 3, 2014 6:23 am  #26

Steph wrote:

Oh, that's really interesting! I'm glad I'm not the only one. It can be really frustrating not being understood. Sometimes I have difficulties with people who can't accept that I am who I am. There are always people who want to change you. But I don't want to change myself. I like who I am (sounds a bit narcissistically ).

I know my written English is fine, but my spoken English is really bad. I have to work on that.

You should never change who you are. For no one. If people don't love or respect you for who you are, they are not worth your time. (It took me quite a while to come to this realization, but once it dawned on me, I felt a lot better.) But I know what you mean, it's hard when you almost constantly feel like the odd one out.

Oh, and have you ever thought of taking a conversation class to improve your spoken English? Or to spend a few weeks/months in England and take some courses there? That's a great experience and will certainly help a lot.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

September 3, 2014 8:13 am  #27

Davina wrote:

Hallo und willkommen Steph. Using subtitled DVDs is an excellent way of learning and improving your command of another language. If you can bear it watch the same things a few times, again and again. That really, really helps as it gives you the 'music', the rhythm, of the language. Another German member here! Wow! So many of you, it puts we Brits to shame.

Oh, and don't worry about your spoken English being not so good. Just keep having a go at it whenever you can.

Have fun!

Thank you for your encouragement! I rewatched the "Sherlock" episodes several times with English subtitles and I notice that I understand it better every time I watch them. I also have the transcripts of all episodes thanks to a fan - and I also have two original scripts ("ASiP" which was in the 3 DVD box from the BBC shop, and "TBB" draft version which was published in the internet). I'm translating unknown words and terms out of the scripts and transcripts at the moment. That really helps - every day I learn more new words. Only the deduction scenes are really hard. Therefore I'm glad that I have the transcripts so I can read it through when I have time.

I also try to think in English whenever it's possible.

A lovely light wrote:

Hi Steph, welcome!

Your english is good, do not worry! You was born in my absolutly favorite city on the whole earth! I lived there for a couple of years, i just love Dresden, my soulcity.... 

(where is Sherlock to tell me about the using of too many exclamation marks , LOL). 

I love my home town soooooooo much! For me it's the most beautiful city of the world! Every time I come back to visit my parents who still live there I get really emotional. When the train is crossing the river "Elbe" and I see this unique skyline with the castle, the Hofkirche, the Zwinger Palace, the Semperoper and of course the Frauenkirche I'm tearing up. It's so beautiful!

Snootiegirl99 wrote:

Welcome, new friend! I am new here too.

It's too bad that no one around you likes Sherlock (or they don't let on). I have an 'I am Sherlocked' t-shirt that I get compliments on every time I wear it. Young man at the home improvement store just the other day said something. Asked him if he watched the show, and he said he did. Glad to know young people are watching it too. Not just us, ahem, cougar-y types.

I have to admit I got tickets to Hamlet. I'm thrilled to be going to London next year. It will be my first visit although I've wanted to for quite a while. To see Shakespeare on the stage while I'm there--wow.

I also thought about buying a Sherlock t-shirt but I didn't choose one yet - there are so many good ones out there.

I'm also thrilled to be going to London next year, because it's the first time to travel alone outside of Germany. That will be a big challenge!

I travelled to London two times already - first with my grandma in the 90's with a tour group and the second time with my English class in 2000. But these travels were very short (only a few days) and we couldn't visit everything. Now that I will travel on my own for a little more than one week (it's all already planned in my mind) I can decide what I will visit - among other things I will definitely visit the shooting locations of "Sherlock" and maybe I will travel to Cardiff to the BBC studios.

stoertebeker wrote:

Moin moin,

also a bit late, but many greetings and welcome to the forum from me too. I am also from Hamburg (not native though but living here for more than 14 years now)! Great to have an other Nordlicht at the forum. Have fun!

Ah, another one from Hamburg. There are really many fans from North Germany here it seems.

eurydike wrote:

You should never change who you are. For no one. If people don't love or respect you for who you are, they are not worth your time. (It took me quite a while to come to this realization, but once it dawned on me, I felt a lot better.) But I know what you mean, it's hard when you almost constantly feel like the odd one out.

Oh, and have you ever thought of taking a conversation class to improve your spoken English? Or to spend a few weeks/months in England and take some courses there? That's a great experience and will certainly help a lot.

Thank you for your lovely words. Since I fell in love with "Sherlock" I'm realising that it's okay to be different. Since that show I'm engaging myself in learning more and more about my personality, for example the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator which revealed that I'm an INFP type:  http://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality. That really explained much and I understood that I'm not mentally disordered.
Thanks for the suggestion with the conversation class but I'm afraid I'm too shy and will feel quite uncomfortable because I'm not very confident. I'm trying to speak with myself at first before I make a fool of myself in front of strangers. To spend a few weeks or days in England would be great but I don't have that much time at the moment and my remaining vacation days for this year are already planned. Maybe I will try to make a language holiday next year before the trip to London in October (I don't have many vacation days, so I have to plan my holidays carefully).

September 3, 2014 8:56 am  #28

Hallo und Willkommen!!
So nice to welcome another fan from Germany here, I´m relatively new here too and I also joined this forum because most of my friends or collegues don´t even know the show and I wanted to discuss the series, its creators and its fantastic cast with some other fans.
I have tickets for Hamlet next year in october too and I will travel to London in 3 days to see Martin Freeman in Richard III, I´m already beyond excited about that!!

September 3, 2014 9:33 am  #29

Germansherlockfan wrote:

... I have tickets for Hamlet next year in october too and I will travel to London in 3 days to see Martin Freeman in Richard III, I´m already beyond excited about that!!

I'm so happy for you that you will see Martin in Richard III in London. That will be surely an extraordinary experience for you. Have lots of fun!

Board footera