BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2014 1:37 pm  #1

It's The Start Of A New Term

Hope nobody minds me posting this here but I'm looking for other people starting a new school/college/uni. I'm beginning a four year course to become a critical care emergency care practitioner thingy. At 24, I'm a lot older than most other people starting at the same college as me and I'm nervous!

I've been out of education for eight years now (if you don't count the OU course I did to become a Paramedic, which I don't as that was home study) and I' terrfied! I've done an induction day and its all changed so much.

Anyone got any advice for me? Anyone else starting a new school and need support. That's what I made the thread for!

September 1, 2014 1:44 pm  #2

Re: It's The Start Of A New Term

Oh, I missed you've been home already for a week! And full of energy? 

I'm not starting a new term or school, but here's a poem by Hermann Hesse to all beginners of all ages:

Hermann Hesse – Steps (Stufen)

As every blossom fades
and all youth sinks into old age,
so every life’s design, each flower of wisdom,
attains its prime and cannot last forever.
The heart must submit itself courageously
to life’s call without a hint of grief,
A magic dwells in each beginning,
protecting us, telling us how to live.

High purposed we shall traverse realm on realm,
cleaving to none as to a home,
the world of spirit wishes not to fetter us
but raise us higher, step by step.
Scarce in some safe accustomed sphere of life
have we establish a house, then we grow lax;
only he who is ready to journey forth
can throw old habits off.

Maybe death’s hour too will send us out new-born
towards undreamed-lands,
maybe life’s call to us will never find an end
Courage my heart, take leave and fare thee well.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 1, 2014 1:46 pm  #3

Yeah full of energy and bored...glad I'm starting college for the distraction lol. Can't go back out on the ambulance until I'm healed though. Paramedics need their legs. At least I'm getting sick pay and still doing the theory work for my course.

Thank you for that poem. I love it!

September 1, 2014 6:54 pm  #4

ComeAtOnceIfConvenient wrote:

At 24, I'm a lot older than most other people starting at the same college as me and I'm nervous!

I've been out of education for eight years now (if you don't count the OU course I did to become a Paramedic, which I don't as that was home study) and I' terrfied! I've done an induction day and its all changed so much.

Anyone got any advice for me?

I hope you don't mind me joining this thread. I my new term started two weeks ago, but I'm from on the other side - I'm a teacher.
I went back to work after seven months of maternal leave etc. I've got my old class back, now a 9th grade, plus a new English course that I have to prepare for the final exams in May.

My advice for you is: relax. You might be older than the rest, but that usually means that you know why you are taking this course, what you want to achieve and how to achieve that. Besides, 24 is not THAT old. If you find that your brain needs more time to learn than it did 10 years ago, don't worry. That will change soon enough with some practice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 2, 2014 7:37 am  #5

Thank you Schmiezi! That's something I really needed to hear. I'm worried about making myself knuckle down again. Someone going to have to chain me to a desk haha! I'm working during all this as well so I'll have no life...

September 2, 2014 9:03 am  #6

I'm nearly 28 and still in uni. Many young people around, but I realised that age can give you an advantage in realising what's important stuff to put in your head and what isn't. Also, as said above, you probably know what you're doing it for. Also, I have made friends there who are years younger than me... they sometimes seem very young to me (being up to 7 years younger), but it doesn't really matter because they're great friends and age does not matter, if we can look past it. And don't feel chained to your desk - better tell yourself you're doing it because you *want* to... because it's what you chose and really want to get to understand. I totally freak out when I feel locked in in my room in front of my desk, but when I tell myself it's a choice I made voluntarily, the feeling vanishes mostly.
So don't be terrified, enjoy your new start

"It is what it is."

September 2, 2014 9:21 am  #7

I'm at a very different point in my life (my son is just starting uni!), so I'm just posting to say good luck and enjoy it!  I can't really offer advice, but I'll just say that I've had an unconventional career path (or paths) and have been in and out of education.  I found it wasn't a problem studying, working and being friends with teenagers when I was in my 20s (although I did manage to find some older friends too).  Yes, you'll be more mature, but that's not a bad thing.  If you've done OU you know you are self-motivated and capable of independent study, which will stand you in good stead - and possibly put you in a better position than somebody going in straight from school.  Don't worry too much, and have a wonderful time!

Board footera