BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2014 2:03 pm  #1

Mrs Holmes, Moriarty, and mathematics

Well, just when you think there is nothing more to discover (and I hope this has not been discussed yet) you find something new. 
I thought about Sherlock's parents and his mother's book and did a little search and found this here: http://mid0nz.tumblr.com/post/74285781560/a-dynamic-equation-sherlocks-mathematics-of
(I do not subscrice to this interpretation as a whole but wanted to show my source). 

In canon Moriarty is a genius mathematician.
In the show Sherlock's mother is a genius mathematician.
In canon Moriarty has written a book called "The Dynamics of an Asteroid".
In the show Mrs Holmes has written a book called "The Dynamics of Combustion". 

Just a nice nod to canon? Or more?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2014 2:15 pm  #2

Re: Mrs Holmes, Moriarty, and mathematics

I read another meta somewhere that posits that Mummy will be a villain in series 4, tying together Magnussen's insistence that he was in control of the bonfire with Mummy's knowledge of combustion. I thought the person was crackers, but this info about Moriarty (whom I think is working with CAM or vice versa) suddenly makes this crazy theory almost plausible...

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 29, 2014 2:23 pm  #3

And it would indeed be shocking. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2014 2:50 pm  #4

Or she might turn out a heroine, on the side of the angels, blowing up the true villain 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 29, 2014 2:51 pm  #5

I would love to see her "turning absolutely monstrous." 

August 29, 2014 2:54 pm  #6

SusiGo wrote:

Me too!

I keep envisioning a confrontation between Mummy and Mary. Mummy is holding a gun, hand shaking a little, but her voice is even and her eyes are cold. "You put a bullet in my boy." Boom.

Mary

August 29, 2014 2:58 pm  #7

I have very mixed emotions about Mummy Holmes being a villian.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 29, 2014 3:01 pm  #8

So have I but the parallels intrigued me. 

August 29, 2014 4:30 pm  #9

Well, Mycroft does have a file on her……   
(of course, of course, that could simply be a more personal thing, but still)  I like the idea of her being a well-known professor or having dabbled in things… makes sense, with how her boys are too.  And they are protective of her, despite their disinterest in family time.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 29, 2014 7:09 pm  #10

I find it hard to believe that it's coincidence that she's a mathematician. Also, I read The Final Problem a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that Holmes made a comment about the painting above his head, in the new Mycroft office there's such a painting. Coincidence??? Maybe. And then there's mention of the third brother, who is (according to most) supposed to be older than Mycroft. Seems to be the right age for a Moriarty. Maybe a father or cosin? 

August 29, 2014 7:32 pm  #11

silverblaze wrote:

And then there's mention of the third brother, who is (according to most) supposed to be older than Mycroft. Seems to be the right age for a Moriarty. Maybe a father or cosin? 

No. Nobody mentions "a third brother".
In HLV, Mycroft speaks of "the other one". Possibly he does not even refer to a member of his own family. "The other one" could be anyone who experienced similar family implications.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 29, 2014 9:02 pm  #12

SusiGo wrote:

HUGELY fun!!

August 29, 2014 10:05 pm  #13

silverblaze wrote:

And then there's mention of the third brother, who is (according to most) supposed to be older than Mycroft. Seems to be the right age for a Moriarty. Maybe a father or cosin? 

I just had a crazy thought. Let's say that 'the other one' is another brother who is older. What if he's the real Moriarty and his son was just essentially a puppet? That would make Andrew Scott's Moriarty Sherlock's nephew. Now, before I get weird looks, remember that Benedict has a niece his age or slightly older, so this crazy theory would work with the age of the Holmes parents. I'm just thinking back to the comment about ACD's Moriarty being into mathematics. Maybe Mummy passed her mathematical prowess onto her eldest boy?

Mary

August 29, 2014 10:31 pm  #14

I just another look at the scene and it can really be understood in several ways:

MYCROFT: There will always come a time when we need Sherlock Holmes.
SIR EDWIN: If this is some expression of familial sentiment ...
MYCROFT: Don’t be absurd. I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion.
You know what happened to the other one.

So it could apply to another Holmes brother or to a person who was given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. Anyway, the person must be known to Sir Edwin which is quite interesting. 

August 30, 2014 9:31 pm  #15

I'm sure they took excellent care to make that line as ambiguous as possible. It's excellent stuff for speculation and theories but it really can't be read as canonical evidence that there is or ever was a third Holmes brother.

Evil men, our writers.

I, too, would love to see Mrs Holmes turn absolutely monstrous at some point, but in a good cause, please. Rising like a tigeress to protect her young, maybe. Or maybe grab them both by the scruff of their necks,  bang their heads together and tell them to sort it out between them, once and for all. Yes, I should like to see that.

Seriously, I've had quite enough of warm-hearted, maternal women turning out to be kick-ass assassins in this series. OK, there was just one, but one was enough. It worked for Mary but please don't make it a pattern.

I have a question to the scientific folk on this board. How are the Dynamics of Combustion a mathematical topic? It sounds like chemistry or maybe physics to me, but not like maths. I'm still honestly confused about this.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 30, 2014 9:33 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 30, 2014 9:33 pm  #16

I am no scientist, far from that, but I had the same thought. I think it may be just a trick to combine mathematics (allusion to Moriarty) and his book "The Dynamics of an Asteroid" (anyone knows how this connects to mathematics?)

August 30, 2014 9:34 pm  #17

All dynamics is maths based, I believe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 31, 2014 8:49 am  #18

It sounds more like physics to me. But on a high level mathemathics and physics are very intertwined. And Moftiss are humanities majors so what do they know. 

August 31, 2014 8:52 am  #19

maryagrawatson wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

I just had a crazy thought. Let's say that 'the other one' is another brother who is older. What if he's the real Moriarty and his son was just essentially a puppet? That would make Andrew Scott's Moriarty Sherlock's nephew. Now, before I get weird looks, remember that Benedict has a niece his age or slightly older, so this crazy theory would work with the age of the Holmes parents. I'm just thinking back to the comment about ACD's Moriarty being into mathematics. Maybe Mummy passed her mathematical prowess onto her eldest boy?

Mary

That's basically my theory. 

August 31, 2014 9:47 am  #20

Physics is maths!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera