BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2014 9:13 pm  #81

Re: Der leere Sarg (TEH), German TV ARD, May 29, 2014

diva wrote:

The combination of first name plus Sie is not very common indeed but it still exists.
I learned that this term of address is called "Hamburger Sie".

Hamburger Sie! How sweet is that! Never heard the term before, but love it!

So that's what Sherlock went to Hamburg for during his two years of absence - not only to reintroduce the jury system to German criminal courts, but also to check out whether he'd been addressing John correctly.

Seriously, if Sherlock was German, isn't it obvious he'd be a Hamburger (as in the city, not the food)?

I can think of situations, especially at work, where I'd like to use it if it were possible. It really is a nice in-between thing.

The whole concept is growing on me. Thank you for doing the research, diva.

Tobe, seien Sie doch bitte nicht paepstlicher als der Papst. I didn't really mean "everyone". I'm not surprised that Sherlock doesn't Hamburger siez his Mum.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 30, 2014 9:16 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 30, 2014 9:22 pm  #82

The thing with the "Sie" is that they kept it far too long. Two men in their thirties/early forties living together as close friends would never address each other like that. And in the graveyard scene it becomes really grotesque. "Bitte seien Sie nicht tot." 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 30, 2014 9:29 pm  #83

At least  the "Sie" has been found impractical in emergency situations: "Laufen Sie! Nehmen Sie meine Hand!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera