BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2014 3:04 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock and love

Absence of interest in love is a common point between Sherlock and Hercule Poirot.
Poirot says that when you see people the way they are, how can you get involved with them ?
Love is suppose to make lovers blind, but the other way round, when one can't be blind, how can one fall in love ?

Sorry to be a little bit cynical, but true love is much more common in books and in movies than in real life!

Do you seriously see Sherlock in a contendend couple ? "I abhor the dull routine of existence" (the sign of the 4). Sherlock is exceptional in many a way, I can't see why he sould behave "normally" when it comes to love.

Last edited by BHavers (August 28, 2014 3:06 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 28, 2014 3:15 pm  #22

Hm, I don't know. After S1&2 I would have agreed. But after this season which was so obviously built around Sherlock becoming more emotional I don't see it this way and can truly picture him in a relationship in his own weird way. At least it's crystal clear to me that he feels loneliness and doesn't approve at all anymore. And to show his truly lovely parents, the cosyness of their home and furthermore Mycroft declaring his brotherly love enhances that.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 28, 2014 3:30 pm  #23

BHavers wrote:

Absence of interest in love is a common point between Sherlock and Hercule Poirot.
Poirot says that when you see people the way they are, how can you get involved with them ?
Love is suppose to make lovers blind, but the other way round, when one can't be blind, how can one fall in love ?

Sorry to be a little bit cynical, but true love is much more common in books and in movies than in real life!

Do you seriously see Sherlock in a contendend couple ? "I abhor the dull routine of existence" (the sign of the 4). Sherlock is exceptional in many a way, I can't see why he sould behave "normally" when it comes to love.

Well, the big difference between Poirot and Holmes is that Holmes has been living for years with another person. Other than Poirot he is described as have a very close friend and flatmate with Watson, a character you can in no way compare to Captain Hastings. 
And the difference between Poirot and "Sherlock" Sherlock is even more obvious. So, yes, I believe that he would be able to have a love relationship but the other person would have to be very tolerant of his eccentricities and love him very much to accept them. On the other hand we see in series 3 that Sherlock is able to change his behaviour, e.g. with Molly. So why not in a relationship as well?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 28, 2014 3:52 pm  #24

SusiGo wrote:

BHavers wrote:

Well, the big difference between Poirot and Holmes is that Holmes has been living for years with another person. Other than Poirot he is described as have a very close friend and flatmate with Watson, a character you can in no way compare to Captain Hastings. 
And the difference between Poirot and "Sherlock" Sherlock is even more obvious. So, yes, I believe that he would be able to have a love relationship but the other person would have to be very tolerant of his eccentricities and love him very much to accept them. On the other hand we see in series 3 that Sherlock is able to change his behaviour, e.g. with Molly. So why not in a relationship as well?

Hummmmmmm.  Now where would Sherlock find someone like that?  Does he already know anyone with those qualities?    Thinking......................thinking...........................

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 28, 2014 4:11 pm  #25

Yep, Molly!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 28, 2014 4:17 pm  #26

Hahaha
bb, do you read warstan fan fic? They are often combined with sherlolly.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 28, 2014 4:21 pm  #27

I was just being funny.
I don't ship Sherlock with anybody, really.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 28, 2014 5:40 pm  #28

The thing is, I don't think Sherlock was ever UN-emotional at all; I think he is probably TOO sensisitve, and has a depth of feeling that would shock just about everyone who knows him. I suspect Mycroft knew that, and has tried to train Sherlock out of it. I suspect when Redbeard was put down, Sherlock, as an isolated kid, reacted, very, very badly. He grieved. And I think that scared the heck out of Mycroft, who commenced with Operation Automaton Sherlock to prevent such a thing happening again. 

Because, look what happens when he gets emotionally involved? He jumps off a building. :-)

August 28, 2014 5:50 pm  #29

I have a headcanon about why the Holmes brothers turned out to be like they are regarding feelings and love.. just for fun. It involves Mummy Holmes having worked as a mathematician for an organization she realized too late was doing illegal transactions worldwide. When she tried to leave she was heavily threatened, and when she realized she was pregnant she knew she had to get away. So she devised a plan with her husband, who was a teacher, to go abroad, teach in a remote part of Peru and go underground. They lived with little Mycroft moving from one place to the other, always anxious to stay under the organization´s radar. Mummy Homes, in spite of being a lovely and generous person, was always under extreme tension and afraid to get caught, always scanning the newspapers for its moves and looking out for spies. Being so nervous she couldn´t give little Mycroft the love he needed, instead she tried to keep him safe by constantly warning him not to get involved with people and to never tell their secret. He felt closest to his Mum when he read her old books she brought with him and admired her brilliant intellect he found there. He grew up without constant contact to peers, often they even lived in totally secluded areas. Mummy Holmes got pregnant again, and little Sherlock shared the fate of his older brother, who tried his best to be there for him in the only way he knew - by telling him scary stories and to always be careful and not to trust people, and by challenging him intellectually to shape him up. One day, little Sherlock just was completely devastated by learning his beloved dog had been put down (he was told by Mycroft who thought it´d do his brother good to learn how cruel the world was), Mummy Holmes read in the papers that the head of the organization she so feared was formally accused for serious fraud and they needed witnesses, so she decided to put an end to this lifestyle, went back to England and was one of the chief witnesses who brought him and the whole organization down. That´s when their "normal" life started, but for the boys it was already too late, they had been shaped by their experiences. Don´t get involved, caring is not an advantage, be careful or the east wind will take you.

(Additional headcanon: When Mummy Holmes was interviewed about her brave act she said that she did it for her family, especially her little son Sherlock whom she wanted to have a normal life without constant fear. This read the abandoned son of the incarcerated big baddie, Jim, who with a crazy flicker in his eyes muttered "Sherlock" under his breath and scratched IOU into his cheap desk at the orphanage he was brought to.. ^^)

August 28, 2014 6:35 pm  #30

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

The thing is, I don't think Sherlock was ever UN-emotional at all; I think he is probably TOO sensisitve, and has a depth of feeling that would shock just about everyone who knows him. I suspect Mycroft knew that, and has tried to train Sherlock out of it. I suspect when Redbeard was put down, Sherlock, as an isolated kid, reacted, very, very badly. He grieved. And I think that scared the heck out of Mycroft, who commenced with Operation Automaton Sherlock to prevent such a thing happening again. 

Because, look what happens when he gets emotionally involved? He jumps off a building. :-)

Where do I sign?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 28, 2014 7:05 pm  #31

Nah, Mycroft just doesn't want him to get involved because that's what worked for himself. At least that's what he believes. 

Board footera