BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2014 4:24 am  #1

Hello :3 I feel Isolated :/ please help!

Hello future friends! I've been an active Sherlockian for about three months now, I'm still in the "I'm going to search the interwebs for everything Sherlock related" phase and I have never felt better :3 I feel sort of isolated by my friends and family, however, none of them understand, nor wish to understand the beauty that is Sherlock. Whether it be the the BBC adaptation, the books, or any other adaptation they all seem uninterested or just think I'm another crazy fangirl. Any advice on how I can coax them into my world or how I can find people with my same interests? Thanks! 

Hugs and Kisses,
TheLonelyBlueScarf96

August 27, 2014 7:30 am  #2

Re: Hello :3 I feel Isolated :/ please help!

HI, warm welcome here! Take your seat 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 27, 2014 10:29 am  #3

Hello and welcome!

You can try to convice the not-understanding friends and family - some of us actually have been successful here and there - but don't spend too much hope on it. 

How you can find people with the same interest? That's a bit vague.
Oh, you mean Sherlocked people, other crazy fangirls, who spend their whole free time and free(?) money on this show, who are used to wait, who deduce everyone and everything, who've watched all episodes more than ten times?

Hm...no, sorry, no idea. Except: you could join a fan forum! 

Have fun here!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 27, 2014 10:44 am  #4

Welcome, I think you have found the right place. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 27, 2014 10:47 am  #5

Mattlocked wrote:

Oh, you mean Sherlocked people, other crazy fangirls, who spend their whole free time and free(?) money on this show, who are used to wait, who deduce everyone and everything, who've watched all episodes more than ten times?

Who does??????????????

A warm welcome and have a lot of fun in this place!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 27, 2014 12:03 pm  #6

SusiGo wrote:

Welcome, I think you have found the right place. 

What Susi said!   Many who enter here never leave!

We've got it all here.  From intellegent discussion about the show and all it's twists to flat out fangirling over how beautiful Sherlock/Benedict is.  There's something here for every Sherlockian.

So don't hold back, dive right in.  We're glad you found us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 27, 2014 12:34 pm  #7

Welcome to the boards, Lonely Blue Scarf (cute name!).

Time and again I've been obsessed with certain books/movies/TV shows and never had anyone near me in real life to share the love. At least not on the deep level that I felt the object of my obsession deserved. Time and again the internet has been my salvation.

I think you've found what you're looking for.

As for getting your real life friends and family interested - of course it may be worth a try if they haven't read the books / seen the show yet, but once they have, don't make the mistake of wanting them to love it more than they do. (I made that mistake once and spoiled a whole fandom for my husband with my boundless over-enthusiasm which annoyed him greatly. He might have been interested, only I put him off because I pestered him too much.)

If you can't get real life people interested enough, come right back here. I actually find it easier to live my obsessions within the anonymity of the internet. I'd be rather embarrassed if people in my real life knew all about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 27, 2014 1:33 pm  #8

Thank you all for being so kind and sweet People who are part of the Sherlock fandom are some of the nicest people I have ever met to be honest. You guys have given me such a warm welcome already Oh and thank you La Jolie for liking my name

August 27, 2014 2:15 pm  #9

Welcome on board, LonelyBlueScarf! You found a right place, there is never too much fan talking on the fan forum 
You can also always join a Sherlock group on deviantArt if you draw/write/cosplay/whatever, find a Facebook group or use other social media - I find them the best way to meet fans of my favourite shows. 

Your avatar is great

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

August 27, 2014 5:12 pm  #10

Hello and welcome to the forum. Great  user name by the way. As to how to capture errant 'others'...short of tying them up and playing them DVDs you could try bribery...lots of popcorn & fizzy drinks maybe? If not, well it is they who are missing out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 27, 2014 7:24 pm  #11

Hey!
I know your situation quite well :D
This forum here was the first place where I got in touch with reaaaaaaally nice fellow Sherlockians. And it's always the place where I go back to if I need information.  You've certainly come to the right place!

As for other ways to meet fans....tumblr always works ;)
And on Instagram are also a lot of young people blogging about Sherlock . They're often happy to talk to others!

Good luck!!
FluteLocked )

August 28, 2014 2:43 pm  #12

Welcome and have lots of fun! 

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

August 28, 2014 2:59 pm  #13

Belated welcome from me as well, have fun. And lots of.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera