BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2014 1:03 pm  #21

Re: Why wasn't Magnussen at his dinner?

lil wrote:

Janine set them up.
She was Sherlock and Marys informant.

Yes, it′s quite strange how Janine interconnects three dangerous main protagonists of our story (being incredibly close to them as an employee, friend and a fiancée) and yet she stands aside acting all innocent...

And it would be a piece of cake for her to set them up, actually. If she just casually mentioned to both Mary and Sherlock that CAM would be out of office (while he would have no such plans and remained in the office that evening) she really could have caused all that drama that followed.

I′m just a bit unsure about her motives. If Mary was less cold-blooded and more temperamental, she could′ve shoot our dear Janine on the spot instead of taking her out. Wouldn′t it be too risky for Janine to endanger herself like that?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 3, 2014 1:12 pm  #22

nakahara wrote:

lil wrote:

Janine set them up.
She was Sherlock and Marys informant.

Yes, it′s quite strange how Janine interconnects three dangerous main protagonists of our story (being incredibly close to them as an employee, friend and a fiancée) and yet she stands aside acting all innocent...

And it would be a piece of cake for her to set them up, actually. If she just casually mentioned to both Mary and Sherlock that CAM would be out of office (while he would have no such plans and remained in the office that evening) she really could have caused all that drama that followed.

I′m just a bit unsure about her motives. If Mary was less cold-blooded and more temperamental, she could′ve shoot our dear Janine on the spot instead of taking her out. Wouldn′t it be too risky for Janine to endanger herself like that?

It depends on who Mary's confidant was; if it was Janine then Janine would have ensured that Mary knew there was a letter to be opened in the event of her death...

March 3, 2014 1:29 pm  #23

Yes, that′s possible.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 19, 2014 6:59 pm  #24

I think that Magnusson wasn't at his dinner because he'd set it up.  Sherlock doesn't say what his source is for Magnusson's movements, but most likely Janine.  I imagine Magnusson fed information to Sherlock through Janine, just as he misled him with the letters. 

Both Mary and Sherlock had tried to get to Magnusson through Janine.  I think Magnusson was aware of that.  I don't think he expected Mary to arrive at the same time as Sherlock, though.  (IS that just coincidence?).  

I suppose Mary must have come in through the window, but there's a bit to much window use in this series.  How easy is it, really, to get in through a window in a modern, secure building?  Even the upstairs windows?  They're usually impassable to stop people getting out as well as stopping people getting in.  I could imagine that maybe Mary has special skills that would allow it, but I'd rather that the same thing hadn't come up in TBB. 

There might be some other entrance/exit in case of fire/power failure?

Board footera