BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2014 7:16 pm  #1

Accidental pregnancy? Seriously?

We are asked to believe that John and Mary 'accidentally' get pregnant.  I don't buy it.  They are both medical professionals, and both adults in their 30s. It's not impossible, certainly, but it seems very unlikely to me.

I think Mary intentionally sabotaged whatever birth control they were using.  I think she did this when Sherlock returned because she wanted to make sure of John.  In spite of her saying "I like him" in TEH, she had to have been wondering if John would lose interest in her now that Sherlock was back, that maybe she was the consolation prize, and that he might now abandon their relationship. I think she got pregnant on purpose to ensure that John would stay with her.

Thoughts?

August 16, 2014 7:22 pm  #2

Re: Accidental pregnancy? Seriously?

I visit a centre for sexual counseling (is that the right word) with my pupils regularly. They always teach that today there is no accidential pregnancy any longer. So I am with you completely, Fix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 16, 2014 7:37 pm  #3

Good point, Fix. So how do you interpret Mary's reaction the dance floor? Is her surprise and shock just an act for Sherlock and John? Or is it something like "Oops, it really worked!"?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 16, 2014 7:58 pm  #4

SusiGo wrote:

Good point, Fix. So how do you interpret Mary's reaction the dance floor? Is her surprise and shock just an act for Sherlock and John? Or is it something like "Oops, it really worked!"?

I think Mary is a clever lady and a consummate actor.

August 16, 2014 8:02 pm  #5

I like your theory, Fix (may I call you that?). There still *are* accidental pregagnancies due to technical or human errors. Depending on what type of contraceptive you use, there is the one-in-ten-thousand-chance that it won't work. The pill can be tricky to remember when your daily routine changes due to unusual upheavals such as travelling or getting married. But it's justvery unlikely.

However, I'm not convinced that the only explanation for John's and Mary's surprise and slight panic at the news of Mary's pregnancy is due to it being totally unplanned. None of them ever says outright "but it wasn't supposed to happen!", and believe me, even when you've decided as a couple to "let it happen" it can be a bit of a shock when it actually does happen. Especially when it happens very quickly after you stop using contraceptives. On the whole, their reaction at the wedding seems more like "wow, it's really happening!" to me than "oh no, we never wanted that!".

And if you compare Mary's and John's reaction, I would even argue that Mary seems more "upset" than John, which would argue against her having secretly planned it. But then I forget that she's a LIAR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 16, 2014 8:07 pm  #6

I see your point.  But it seems to me that if they had been 'trying' for a baby, even to the degree of just 'seeing what happens', then Mary, if not John, would have been more aware of her symptoms, and they wouldn't have appeared so gobsmacked at the wedding.

But you may be right.  Perhaps we'll find out in Season 4....

August 16, 2014 8:17 pm  #7

I mentioned this in another thread.  They're not only both health professionals, but both health professionals who deal with contraception.  I think they would be using long-acting contraceptives which are reliable.  If Mary's pregnant, the chances are the she knowingly came off contraception.

My first thought is that she isn't trying to trap John, though.  She seems to be trying to involve Sherlock and encourage his relationship with John rather than shutting him out.  And Sherlock seems to be absolutely certain that they're going to continue with the preganncy, so he thinks they wanted a baby.  I'd guess that they came off contraception before the wedding, not expecting it to happen so soon.  I'm not at all sure, though.

August 16, 2014 9:49 pm  #8

I just know that nothing is %100.  Had a cousin that was using condoms and on the pill and still got pregnant.  Stuff happens.

I do agree that at first Mary seems more upset than John.  John looks shocked but happy.  Mary at first looks like she's about to throw up.  

Last edited by tonnaree (August 16, 2014 9:50 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 17, 2014 1:52 am  #9

tonnaree wrote:

I do agree that at first Mary seems more upset than John.  John looks shocked but happy.  Mary at first looks like she's about to throw up.  

Yeah, they do both look awfully weirded out.  But (and I could have sworn I saw someone mention this already… maybe on different thread talking about Mary's arc?) don't forget it's probably not just surprised shock it's actually happening (if indeed they had let it, because I don't see her doing it to 'trap' him - they probably both missed something in the flurry of wedding stuff). 

But just earlier that day, she got an unpleasant jolt of a reminder of CAM's presence - wouldn't be surprised if, even if they wanted to have one, she's suddenly mentally freaking about how to keep all of them safe or what might happen with a baby around, or needing to take action before CAM uses it as leverage (Smallwood asking Sherlock to help just sped the whole CAM thing up to the forefront).

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 17, 2014 6:40 am  #10

tonnaree wrote:

I just know that nothing is %100.  Had a cousin that was using condoms and on the pill and still got pregnant.  Stuff happens.

Yes, it does happen all the time! (In real life, people could be prescribing contraception, but useless at using it themselves!).  But usually, in Sherlock Holmes stories, things are more predictable - can't think of any examples right now, but the stories kind of rely on people acting in a way that fits with what Sherlock might deduce about them. 

I don't know how things work outside the UK, but here GP practices are usualy very involved in contraception.  Practice nurses (like Mary) in particular, can have quite a big role.  The government encourages GPs to prescribe long-acting reversible contraception (injections, IUS, etc.), because they're considered more effective, and John and Mary would be aware of this. 

So it's safe to say that John and Mary would be able to make a very informed choice about contraception.  If they definitely wanted to avoid pregnancy, they'd go for a more reliable method, such as an implant.  Of course, Mary might have some condition that makes certain contraception less suitable, but we're not told about anything like that.   Otherwise, if Mary got pregnant, then she probably had made a decision to stop using the implant or whatever it was.  John may or may not have known about that. 

August 17, 2014 6:53 am  #11

Russell wrote:

But just earlier that day, she got an unpleasant jolt of a reminder of CAM's presence - wouldn't be surprised if, even if they wanted to have one, she's suddenly mentally freaking about how to keep all of them safe or what might happen with a baby around, or needing to take action before CAM uses it as leverage (Smallwood asking Sherlock to help just sped the whole CAM thing up to the forefront).

That is an interesting thought. Makes sense to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 17, 2014 7:45 am  #12

So far, nobody  here has mentioned that there's also the possibility that John is not the father.
There might have been an unexpected opportunity (and therefore maybe without contraception precautions) for Mary to meet her usual "shoulder to cry on", David. For instance on that day when she sent John and Sherlock away to investigate the Brainbridge case. Then being pregnant around the wedding date would also match with the timeline.
And then there is this conversation between Mrs Hudson and John after the stag night where she talks about her husband "and all the other women". Apparently her husband had cheated on her.
And don't forget that David, being seated at the top table closest to Mary, optically is very similar to John. It seems we should get prepared by the writers to consider the possibility that Mary is cheating on John as well. Sherlock's deduction then would explain why Mary was actually panicking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 17, 2014 7:52 am  #13

I agree with you, Tobe. If the baby is David's, it explains Mary's expression perfectly. Personally, I hope that it is not David's, because that seems to me like the easy way out for the writers, and I am more hoping for devastating emotions in S4.

But again, that could be my hormones speaking.

August 17, 2014 9:54 am  #14

More devastating emotions? You are a greedy girl, Schmiezi. 

But, yes, the outward similarity between John and David is striking. And his position of honour quite near to the bridal couple is strange regarding the fact he is Mary's ex. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 17, 2014 10:48 am  #15

I could imagine that for Mary, a baby would be a good way to tie John closer to her. But that would not explain her surprise / shock / whatever.

August 17, 2014 11:00 am  #16

Swanpride wrote:

They writers just make a point that John is Mary's "type".

And if getting pregnant from John is unlikely, getting pregnant from a "shoulder to cry on" while being with John is even MORE unlikely. Mary isn't the youngest, and uses protection, and while she might forgo the condom in the relationship with John, she certainly wouldn't if she had an affair with some dude who might or might not carry some sexual illness (John is on the other hand "safe", as is she, because in their job they should get tested at least for HIV from time to time). So any scenario not involving John is way too much out there.

And why should Mary want to get pregnant while CAM is breathing down her neck? For me it looks like she is initially happy about the baby, but then she remembers Magnussen and starts to worry. After all, nothing as great as being eight month pregnant when you have to flee the country because the police and a bunch of assassins are on your heels.

I don't think they would be regularly tested for HIV in their jobs.   Otherwise I agree.  And at that point in their relationship, they appear to be genuinely in love and not looking for others - Mary's big secret is her past and I don't see her risking such a mundane secret as a fling with an ex.   I think you are right that when her face falls she is thinking about Magnusson. 

August 17, 2014 12:33 pm  #17

Swanpride wrote:

In Germany, they would. There are certain jobs for which you have to get tested for certain illnesses, especially if you work as a nurse, but also if you work with food or children you need a "proof of health". Though in the latter cases they look for illnesses like TBC aso, everything which can cause infection through the air.

Same in the USA.
My husband use to work in the funeral industry and he had to be tested frequently.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 17, 2014 12:46 pm  #18

Mary started the job before she was pregnant.
No need for pregnancy tests, staff protect themselves from Xrays etc anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2014 12:56 pm  #19

That's interesting.  Here (UK), I think they might be tested on entry, but not routinely.   People are supposed to practice safely.  If somebody was HIV+ they might not be able to carry out certain more risky procedures, but they could still be a nurse or doctor. 

Working with food, I think you're expected to have a food hygiene certificate, but that's about food handling and safety rather than testing for disease.  And working with children, you'd normally have a DBS check (a check of your criminal record).  John and Mary would have had a DBS at some point, but presumably Mary's fake identity wouldn't have shown up anything. 

It isn't routine here to have STD testing with a new relationship either.  Very few people seem to do it.  Maybe John and Mary would go for it, being health professionals, but not necessarily. 

August 17, 2014 9:49 pm  #20

Oh, good point Sherlockismyfix, never thought about it before. But of course, they are old enough to know this stuff. The question is, did Mofftiss think about it, too or is it totally unimportant? We saw in the past series that not everything we thought is super-important was important at all.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

Board footera