BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2012 11:30 am  #1

German thread

As the German speaking members now sort of "flood" the forum , I've asked myself if we could get an official thread for all the Germans/Austrians, where we can post our theories, ideas, assumptions, BC-appreciation,... in German?

I think it's not only me who sometimes hardly tries to follow the discussions or post own ideas etc.. 
And as I haven't found a german equivalent to this great forum yet (and even if there would be one, I'd stay here  ), it would be great to share my thoughts in my mother tongue here (as well as in English of course, if possible)...

So, what do you think  ?

Last edited by carrot (July 9, 2012 11:31 am)

July 9, 2012 11:36 am  #2

Re: German thread

While it sounds nice enough; part of the TOS of Boardhost is that forums must be in English.
So there could be a problem with that.
I don't think you guys are a majority as yet though.
Best leave this up to the Boss as she's the one who will get the complaints.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 9, 2012 12:25 pm  #3

I know what you mean, carrot.
Sometimes my thoughts on various topics here are so complicated that I could hardly express them even in proper German.
But – what would an "official German thread" on this board look like?
Just one German thread about everything (like an unhandy duffel bag) wouldn't do – there had to be lots of subsections in order not to loose track. And this I believe would be inadequate and discourteous to our non German understanding members here.
As long as writing in strange and funny  English isn't considered a punishable misdemeanour leading to my being thrown out of here I don't care about a German thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 9, 2012 2:16 pm  #4

I fully agree to tobe. I understand the meaning and maybe it't not that bad - but of not much use. Sorry, don't want to offend you, BUT:
What about the opinions of all the others here? Want to know them!! 
And they don't understand me - which is really a pitty regarding all those very important things I have to say! 
And sometimes we just go for German - should be no problem as far as I experienced.

For any translating or understanding problems may I recommend LingoPad. There is a free download in the net and will install a tiny little program I'm always using to look up words when I'm on foreign sites.
(If you don't use the Explorer for translation...)

In my opinion all the girls and guys here from all over the world should stay together in one group - English speaking Sherlockolics.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 9, 2012 2:44 pm  #5

I understand why you would prefer to have a German thread, but as tobe said, it would be difficult to use just one thread, and several foreign threads would probably lead to the forum falling apart.
I think we can continue the way we have done so far, after all a large section of the "languages" thread is in German, and I'm sure that if you feel like expressing a certain thought auf Deutsch within an existing thread, it won't be a problem (dann haben diejenigen, die dich nicht verstehen eben Pech ).

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 9, 2012 3:14 pm  #6

An alternative could be, although it is more work for you, to post your comments and ideas in English and then immediately after that in the same post express yourself again in German. Likewise any responses are expressed first in English and then below that in German. That way the English-only speakers can read the first part of the comment only and then anyone who speaks both can look at both comments.  This could help with the clarification of your ideas and will still allow for all members of the forum to make responses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 9, 2012 4:18 pm  #7

I don't think a general German thread would be a good idea as I think that we all want everyone to be able to participate in our discussions..
It would be like excluding all the non German speakers...

But I think it's also not so good that we're flooding the "language" thread, as it is a thread for all the languages and, dunno, we might intimidate others..
So what I already suggested is that we might have an official German thread only regarding the things we don't understand or can't express in German? Just so we can help each other out if we have problems with the language?
I don't know if there is a need for that, but it might turn out helpful... or if you guys think it's a bad idea, we could just stay at the "language" thread.
Anyway, it's up to our bosses!

July 9, 2012 4:40 pm  #8

I had an expression "turn up collar" lately, which I couldn't translate.
I wrote it in German and added: (can anyone translate this?) and Susi helped immediately. I don't think there has to be an extra thread for this.

See it as an excercise! We can only improve our English - and will enjoy it when watching original Sherlock or listening to Cabin Pressure. 
(don't want to know how many mistakes I made in these 5 little sentences, though.)

July 9, 2012 5:47 pm  #9

I would also prefer not to have an all-German thread because there are so many among us that don't speak German. Good idea though to write something in German which is difficult to express in English or just to ask if one doesn't understand something. Then it can either be explained in English or translated into German. There'll always be somebody to help  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 9, 2012 5:54 pm  #10

A translator, for example! 

July 9, 2012 6:21 pm  #11

There should be a thread where you can only speak Finnish so I could do my Gollum -bit by myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 9, 2012 6:23 pm  #12

Well, we don't want all our Finnish members taking over, do we?!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 9, 2012 6:25 pm  #13

Hmm...DramaGod and his power complex!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 9, 2012 6:28 pm  #14

Exactly...

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

July 9, 2012 6:29 pm  #15

In the finnish-thread it would be like in the chatroom when he wanted to meet you, Molly.....

July 9, 2012 6:30 pm  #16

It's no complex, honey. Or would you call Fonzie having a coolness slash awesomeness complex?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 9, 2012 6:30 pm  #17

Echo Echo.. LOL

July 9, 2012 6:30 pm  #18

I could show off my excellent Finnish!

July 9, 2012 6:31 pm  #19

Mattlocked, you often like beating a guy when he's already down?

@Molly - Your excellent Finnish? You planning on showcasing me around? I'm no circus freak for you to show off on.

Last edited by Dramagod (July 9, 2012 6:32 pm)

July 9, 2012 6:32 pm  #20

Sorry, wanted to tease Molly - and suddenly had to think at Cabin Pressure. 

Board footera