BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2014 7:21 pm  #61

Re: Some things that are puzzling me

Yes, Ms President. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2014 7:43 pm  #62

It is in the firm ground of S3 that we plant the flag of the OSAJ!

*back up ladies I'm on a roll* 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 13, 2014 7:50 pm  #63

tonnaree wrote:

It is in the firm ground of S3 that we plant the flag of the OSAJ!

*back up ladies I'm on a roll* 

And the East Wind will breathe life into our flag!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 13, 2014 8:27 pm  #64

Let her fly proudly! 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2014 8:35 pm  #65

What I mean about "best friend", is it doesn't describe a particular relationship, it's just the friend that you see most or are closest to or whatever.  It's a bit like asking Sherlock who his landlady is - it's obvious. 

Sherlock's actually quite clued in on relationships too.  So many of his cases involve relationships.   I get what you are mostly saying - that whatever he might understand, he doesn't feel he's worthy of love/friendship.  But that's a little at odds with his experience.  He's surrounded by loving family and caring friends.   In fact (until now?) it's not that he thinks he's not worthy of love, it's that he thinks love isn't worthy of him.   "Grit in a sensitive instrument".  Now, I do think the episode shows his view changing and him valuing love more (and actually his love for John seems separate in his mind to "sexual" love, even in the books), definitely appreciating it from John, and feeling some regret, doubt and loneliness at the end.  But I can't really go for self-hating, low self-esteem, etc., even if that's what's intended.  It's strange because I really did like some of the change I saw in TEH - but that was different.  I don't want him to be diminished. 

August 13, 2014 9:17 pm  #66

tonnaree wrote:

A lovely light wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Um, yes, we have this OTHER thread that kind of answers that question ...
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4862

Muhahahhaaaa....

Sadly, the more a rewatch S3, the less i see it being there or happening in the future. 

But S3 is simply drowning in Johnlock!  TSoT is the most johnlock episode that ever johnlocked! 

Strange, isn't it? The most people think that and for me is not. I read loads of meta about it, but somehow the chemistry between the two main characters in S3 is a tad different to that in S1 and S2. And this chemistry doesn't scream to me at all Johnlock. I fail to see for example anything more than friendship between John and his ex-commander like some see ( i cannot believe that if you are still close with an ex to invite him to your wedding he will spoke to you first by your family name). For me is very telling that Sherlock is not jealous at all to Mary, he accepts her totally, even more than John does. When John hugs Sherlock at the weeding, Sherlock doesn't even react and give back the hug but stay there awkward. I miss the connection, the bond between the two we see in S1 and 2. In what John thinks are his last moments, he only sais about his admiration for Sherlock qualities, but nothing about his emotions. If not in your last seconds, when? And when he speaks about his emotions (well, sort of, a la John's art), he uses always the parallel to Mary (two persons who he loves, two persons who have changed his life), as if the writers wants to make very clear that Mary is his wife and Sherlock is his friend. For sure there are 2-3 moments, who can be seen in a way or in the other one (like i cannot understand why Ms. Hudson still thinks that they were togheter when the door of their flat was wide open and she saw them daily).

August 13, 2014 9:38 pm  #67

A lovely light wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

A lovely light wrote:

Muhahahhaaaa....

Sadly, the more a rewatch S3, the less i see it being there or happening in the future. 

But S3 is simply drowning in Johnlock!  TSoT is the most johnlock episode that ever johnlocked! 

Strange, isn't it? The most people think that and for me is not. I read loads of meta about it, but somehow the chemistry between the two main characters in S3 is a tad different to that in S1 and S2. And this chemistry doesn't scream to me at all Johnlock. I fail to see for example anything more than friendship between John and his ex-commander like some see ( i cannot believe that if you are still close with an ex to invite him to your wedding he will spoke to you first by your family name). For me is very telling that Sherlock is not jealous at all to Mary, he accepts her totally, even more than John does. When John hugs Sherlock at the weeding, Sherlock doesn't even react and give back the hug but stay there awkward. I miss the connection, the bond between the two we see in S1 and 2. In what John thinks are his last moments, he only sais about his admiration for Sherlock qualities, but nothing about his emotions. If not in your last seconds, when? And when he speaks about his emotions (well, sort of, a la John's art), he uses always the parallel to Mary (two persons who he loves, two persons who have changed his life), as if the writers wants to make very clear that Mary is his wife and Sherlock is his friend. For sure there are 2-3 moments, who can be seen in a way or in the other one (like i cannot understand why Ms. Hudson still thinks that they were togheter when the door of their flat was wide open and she saw them daily).

Erm...what can I say? Only that I couldn't disagree more with most of what you write. But don't mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 13, 2014 9:48 pm  #68

tobeornot221b wrote:

A lovely light wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Erm...what can I say? Only that I couldn't disagree more with most of what you write. But don't mind.

Same here, tobe.
I think the question that has to be asked about most of the things A lovely light has mentioned is: why? Why does Sherlock seem to accept Mary totally, why doesn't Sherlock really react to John's hug, why is it so difficult for John to talk about his emotions towards Sherlock even when death appears to be imminent? Answer those questions and it will become a bit more obvious why so many people see so much Johnlock in S3. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 13, 2014 9:52 pm  #69

Or not see 

August 13, 2014 9:59 pm  #70

Don't give up the ship!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 13, 2014 10:01 pm  #71

Never, tonnaree, never.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 13, 2014 10:07 pm  #72

Those are great points @ A Lovely Light, and I'm going to think about them.  I agree that Sherlock is jealous when it comes to Sholto, not Mary.  It's as if he sees Mary as an extension of John, but Sholto as a rival.  That helps pinpoint for me the kind of love he feels for John - it's not sexual. 

To be honest, I think that if there was a powerful sexual attraction it might have manifested itself during the stag night, when their guard is down.  Not necessarily - alcohol lowers inhibitions but doesn't completely incapacitate them.  

Actually, one thing missing from the stag night is them hugging each other and saying how much they love each other, which is what I'd expect from a couple of drunken friends.  Of course, you could argue that that's because they're repressing their feelings so much that they don't do what people would usually do. 

I think it's complicated as well, because we know that the relationship with Mary is temporary and that the relationship with John will endure regardless (at least I hope so - I don't think they'd change that).

Mrs Hudson's comments are just a standing joke, I think.  What's nice is that none of the comments about them being a gay couple are meant in a homophobic way, and the characters don't take them that way (and are not homophobic themselves).  I think it's a play on the fact that it can be said outright now, over and over, whereas in ACD's day it was unspoken.  Instead of it never being mentioned and people wondering if they might be gay, people just assume they are gay and mention it all the time. 

August 13, 2014 10:26 pm  #73

Liberty wrote:

Those are great points @ A Lovely Light, and I'm going to think about them.  I agree that Sherlock is jealous when it comes to Sholto, not Mary.  It's as if he sees Mary as an extension of John, but Sholto as a rival.  That helps pinpoint for me the kind of love he feels for John - it's not sexual. 

To be honest, I think that if there was a powerful sexual attraction it might have manifested itself during the stag night, when their guard is down.  Not necessarily - alcohol lowers inhibitions but doesn't completely incapacitate them. 

Oh, that conversation will last for days...............................................

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 13, 2014 10:52 pm  #74

We have tiiiiimmmmmeeeee, a lot of tiiiiimmmmmeeeeeee.... till Christmas 2015.....

August 14, 2014 11:55 am  #75

Liberty wrote:

Strange, for me it's just the other way round. 

Liberty wrote:

But it's the stag night. John's gona be married. Bad moment for nice guys I'd think.

Liberty wrote:

Mrs Hudson's comments are just a standing joke, I think.  What's nice is that none of the comments about them being a gay couple are meant in a homophobic way, and the characters don't take them that way (and are not homophobic themselves).  I think it's a play on the fact that it can be said outright now, over and over, whereas in ACD's day it was unspoken.  Instead of it never being mentioned and people wondering if they might be gay, people just assume they are gay and mention it all the time. 

And Sherlock never controverts...............

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 14, 2014 12:27 pm  #76

"To be honest, I think that if there was a powerful sexual attraction it might have manifested itself during the stag night, when their guard is down.  Not necessarily - alcohol lowers inhibitions but doesn't completely incapacitate them. "

In my eyes it did manifest, in as much as Sherlock and John were able to even with liquer as an excuse.   Pardon me but they were flirting their asses off during that guessing game and then John's little slip of the hand?  Come on people!  If that had been a man and a women people would've been screaming at the telly for them to kiss already!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 14, 2014 1:46 pm  #77

tonnaree wrote:

"To be honest, I think that if there was a powerful sexual attraction it might have manifested itself during the stag night, when their guard is down.  Not necessarily - alcohol lowers inhibitions but doesn't completely incapacitate them. "

In my eyes it did manifest, in as much as Sherlock and John were able to even with liquer as an excuse.   Pardon me but they were flirting their asses off during that guessing game and then John's little slip of the hand?  Come on people!  If that had been a man and a women people would've been screaming at the telly for them to kiss already!

I agree. And we see them sitting side by side on the sofa, Sherlock having his arm somewhere on the backrest behind John's shoulders, a thing we have never seen them doing before.
So what if Tessa had not disturbed them when they were sitting so cosily on the sofa? 

And do not get me started about them lying side by side on the stairs ... and there are some quite explicit metas about the symbolism of the drunk deduction scene as well. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 14, 2014 1:47 pm)

August 14, 2014 1:57 pm  #78

SusiGo wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I agree. And we see them sitting side by side on the sofa, Sherlock having his arm somewhere on the backrest behind John's shoulders, a thing we have never seen them doing before.
So what if Tessa had not disturbed them when they were sitting so cosily on the sofa? 

And do not get me started about them lying side by side on the stairs ... and there are some quite explicit metas about the symbolism of the drunk deduction scene as well.

And that's really all I wanted to see in connection with the stag night. We're still talking about "Sherlock" here, and I personally didn't expect or need anymore tension between them. I actually want them to be as sober as humanly possible once they get more physical with each other. 

August 14, 2014 2:02 pm  #79

Yes, this is true. I just wanted to add that there is quite a lot of physical tension between them. But to go any further they should be of course sober. 

August 14, 2014 2:21 pm  #80

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, this is true. I just wanted to add that there is quite a lot of physical tension between them. But to go any further they should be of course sober. 

EXACTLY!

"Electric Blue Serenity" is one of my favorite fics and in it John gets drugged and starts coming on strong to Sherlock.  Sherlock kisses him but fights to pull back.  He tells John that when he finally gets him in bed he wants him there body and mind.   *swoon*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera