BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2014 5:34 pm  #41

Re: The wedding guests

Zatoichi wrote:

REReader wrote:

Actually, psychologists have done studies that indicate that people enjoy books more when they know the endings, even if they believe they won't, and I believe they have gotten the same results with the visual arts. I would never spoil for people who don't want to be spoiled, but I personally ALWAYS want to be spoiled--I'm one of those people who have been reading the ends of books first from childhood, and it's never ruined a good book or show for me. (And it saves me time on the bad ones!) So I don't think Liberty will be missing anything by knowing some of the plot points of HLV ahead of time.

If it comes to that, everyone who read the ACD canon knew the end of TRF and the beginning of TEH more than a hundred years before it was even written!

Oh yes, that´s true for me too, I already knew what was going to happen because I came to the forum before I got my DVD and I still enjoyed it very much. Watching HLV was still a very thrilling experience.. I like to be prepared for what´s coming. S4 will be nerve-wrecking.. 

No.  Just no for me.  I'm the total opposite.  For me, knowing the end would ruin the emotional and intellectual journy in any work of art.  For example I just finsihed the book "Gone Girl."
The whole point in reading it was to learn "why and how."  If I had known before hand it would've been a waste of time.

For the most part I love internet technology and how it has changed fandom, but I don't like the fact that it has made avoiding spoilers so much harder.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 13, 2014 5:39 pm  #42

Same here. Maybe I read the end of a book as a child. But not now anymore. Spoils everything.
If I like the book - and the end - very much, I read it a second time anyway, someday.
Also I'm not sure if the authors intend that their stories will be read "end first"?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 13, 2014 5:43 pm  #43

A lovely light wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I think so. My idea is that she can afford the flat/house because of money saved from her past and John was too depressed to find something nice for himself. So he was happy to move in with her. Pure speculation but look at the colourful wallpaper - it would be more Mary's style than his, I suppose. The same goes for the white bed linen with the little pearly things on it we see at the beginning of HLV. 

Does it work with the Happy many returns timeline? Is the same flat, isn't it?  
Is the mini-episode before or after John getting togheter with Mary? 

Edit: I think the car is Mary's as John went with the Metro to 221b. 

It is the same distinctive wallpaper. 
As far as I know, the mini episode takes place about a month before Sherlock's return so they must be together at that point. 

As for knowing the ending - there are books/films in which this works and others in which it does not. I knew the end of TRF before watching it for the first time and loved it still but I wish I had not known what was going to happen. 
As for Mary shooting Sherlock - it came as such a shock and the mind palace scene was so overwhelming that I would not want to miss that experience of watching it unprepared. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2014 5:46 pm  #44

Just imagine the film "The sixth sense."
The end was quite a surprise. It was nice watching it again after knowing the end, but I didn't want to know it the first time.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 13, 2014 5:49 pm  #45

There is only one book I've read the end first: The last Harry Potter book. And I only did it because I was so annoyed by how JKR turned the whole book into a "Will THIS character die? Yeeee...oops, no. But maybe THIS character...?"

Besides, are there really THAT many guests at the wedding? I am lousy at guessing numbers, so what do you all thing, how many people were there?

Last edited by Schmiezi (August 13, 2014 5:49 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 13, 2014 5:53 pm  #46

True.
Of course I have watched all the episodes again and again and I discover new things all the time but the first impression of HLV - much more than the other episodes - was breathtaking. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2014 6:24 pm  #47

Schmiezi, if i am seeing right, there are 7 tables plus the main one. The round tables have 8 or 9 guests, the main table has another 5 people(?) . So actually there are not so much guests, between 60 to 80. A normal wedding. 

When i organised my wedding (in other country, but i suppose some things are the same), the low budget weddings looked really cheap, starting with the location to the catering. Now taking the profession in which John works, it is one of a certain image and certain expectations. When you get other doctors as guests, you don't invite them to self-made food or low-budget locations. 

August 13, 2014 6:26 pm  #48

SusiGo wrote:

A lovely light wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I think so. My idea is that she can afford the flat/house because of money saved from her past and John was too depressed to find something nice for himself. So he was happy to move in with her. Pure speculation but look at the colourful wallpaper - it would be more Mary's style than his, I suppose. The same goes for the white bed linen with the little pearly things on it we see at the beginning of HLV. 

Does it work with the Happy many returns timeline? Is the same flat, isn't it?  
Is the mini-episode before or after John getting togheter with Mary? 

Edit: I think the car is Mary's as John went with the Metro to 221b. 

It is the same distinctive wallpaper. 
As far as I know, the mini episode takes place about a month before Sherlock's return so they must be together at that point. 

As for knowing the ending - there are books/films in which this works and others in which it does not. I knew the end of TRF before watching it for the first time and loved it still but I wish I had not known what was going to happen. 
As for Mary shooting Sherlock - it came as such a shock and the mind palace scene was so overwhelming that I would not want to miss that experience of watching it unprepared. 

John has really a very quick growing moustache then 

August 13, 2014 6:26 pm  #49

Thank you, lovely light.
60 to 80 could mean 30 to 40 people you know plus their partners. Really not that much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 13, 2014 6:28 pm  #50

SusiGo wrote:

True.
Of course I have watched all the episodes again and again and I discover new things all the time but the first impression of HLV - much more than the other episodes - was breathtaking. 

That was my reaction to it as well! I felt like I held my breath during the whole thing.

My best friend FINALLY started on series 3 and said that she found TEH and TSOT so 'meh' that she wasn't sure she wanted to watch HLV and asked me to describe it for her. My reply was, "OMG SO MANY FEELS SQUEE HOLY %?&%@ OMG OMG OMG OMG THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN OMG THUD." She wrote back a couple of hours to say that I summed the episode up very well.

I've always been unspoiled for Sherlock and am not sure how I want to proceed with the one-off special and series 4. I am about to leave for a six-monthish assignment in a country where internet might be dodgy, so the decision may be made for me, at least for the one-off special.

Mary

Last edited by maryagrawatson (August 13, 2014 6:28 pm)

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 13, 2014 6:31 pm  #51

We had spoiler warnings in here but to be really sure you would have to stay away from the internet as such. I knew some things but tried not to read too much. And I knew none of the really important things because they filmed them behind closed doors. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 13, 2014 6:32 pm)

August 13, 2014 6:33 pm  #52

Mattlocked wrote:

Same here. Maybe I read the end of a book as a child. But not now anymore. Spoils everything.
If I like the book - and the end - very much, I read it a second time anyway, someday.
Also I'm not sure if the authors intend that their stories will be read "end first"?

It doesn´t spoil the experience for me.. for example I became interested in Parade´s End by reading about it here. I already knew the basic content, that he will go to war, suffer a lot but will get the girl in the end. Did it spoil the experience of the book or the series for me? Oh no it didn´t. To enjoy the language, the visuals and the details of the story, how the characters were drawn and developed, to be able to follow their thoughts and so on wasn´t diminished in the slightest by my knowledge of the basic plot and plot twists. I guess there just are two kinds of people.. 

August 13, 2014 6:58 pm  #53

Schmiezi wrote:

There is only one book I've read the end first: The last Harry Potter book. And I only did it because I was so annoyed by how JKR turned the whole book into a "Will THIS character die?

The worst book of the series for me. I was angry at the end, after such a good run that book as an end ....i wish she would rewrite the book totally... 

August 13, 2014 7:06 pm  #54

SusiGo wrote:

True.

I've had people that don't understand why I will wait until I can watch certain movies or TV shows with my husband.  They think it's silly.  They say you can always watch it again with him.  But, I tell them, you can only experiance something for the first time once.  And I often want to share that experiance with my husband.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 13, 2014 7:36 pm  #55

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

True.

I've had people that don't understand why I will wait until I can watch certain movies or TV shows with my husband.  They think it's silly.  They say you can always watch it again with him.  But, I tell them, you can only experiance something for the first time once.  And I often want to share that experiance with my husband.

Same here. Actually, Sherlock is the only show we both like that I watched first without him. Usually, it is worth waiting for to share it with him.

Even though he made me speechless when pointing at my brand new "Parade's End" DVD, saying, "Why did you buy that? We've already watched it."

August 13, 2014 9:02 pm  #56

I hope I'm not derailing threads too much!  I don't normally read the ends of books, but I find it doesn't usually spoil it for me if I know the end.  It just gives me a different view.  Sometimes I really don't want to know: for instance, with the Sherlock Holmes stories I like to try to work it out.  If I do work out, then I'm glad I didn't know the end.  If I don't work it out, then it didn't matter.  In the TV series, there is more to the episodes than a Holmesian puzzle, so it doesn't matter so much if I know what's going to happen.

The funny thing about the spoilers I know for HLV is that they really don't tell me that much.  I'm intrigued.

I like the idea that John and Mary's flat was originally Mary's.  That makes sense. 

Incidentally, the smallest wedding I've ever been to was between two doctors!  It was understated and rather lovely. 

Board footera