BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2014 8:47 pm  #1

Anyone feel like joining a Sherlock LiveJournal LandComm?

If you do, come and join us over on LiveJournal at land_deduction!

The Land of Deduction is a land comm for BBC Sherlock and Elementary that tests the question which Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson is the better Consulting Detective team. We’re currently playing in two teams - Team 221B vs. Team Brownstone, and it’s a lot of fun! Game 2 is about to start, and new members are still welcome.

You don’t need to know both shows or fandoms in order to join — being familiar with one will suffice, although knowing both may give you an advantage.

To apply, please click here to get to the application post. (You need a LiveJournal account.) It’d be appreciated but not a must if you mentioned my LJ username (tj-teejay), should you do decide to join.

August 4, 2014 9:17 pm  #2

Re: Anyone feel like joining a Sherlock LiveJournal LandComm?

It sounds fun! I've made an account and signed up.  I hope I don't actually have to be good at anything?

Last edited by Liberty (August 5, 2014 9:34 pm)

August 4, 2014 9:24 pm  #3

Yay!!!

And don't worry, usually it's not about being good or bad, it's about participating. There are rare occasions where users are asked to vote for what they like best, but the majority of games (i.e. cases) are about whether you've participated (which you get points for), and not about how good the quality may or may not be.

I know some LJ landcomms require that you've had an LJ account that's been active for at least x weeks, but maybe this one doesn't. If they reject you because of that, let me know and I'll talk to the mods to tell them you're not a spammer and would really like to join.

If you need pointers at how it all works, let me know. It can be confusing at first if you've never done a land comm. I know I struggled a little bit with my first, because sometimes the mods forget that not everyone knows all the lingo or how certain things work that old LJers are familiar with but new members might not know yet.

Really happy you joined! What's your username on LJ?

August 4, 2014 9:50 pm  #4

I hadn't even heard of a landcomm before your I read your post, so yes, I would be very grateful for any help with the lingo!  I do have a very ancient LJ account, but I use it as a sort of archive of angst and don't want to inflict it on an unsuspecting public, so I've created a new one.  My username is Glimmeral. 

August 5, 2014 6:49 am  #5

Well, mostly what you should do is described in the case posts, so I would recommend to read those carefully. For most cases, there are comments that the mods add to the posts that you're supposed to reply to when you complete a case. So if you get sorted into Team 221B, you need to reply to the 221B comment thread to get points for you and the team.

If you have questions about the language, just PM me (here or on LJ). The one thing I can think of right now is "sig tag", which is a 300x150 pixel graphic that you put below your comments when you respond to a case. It's not mandatory to have one, but you get extra points if you do it. It should be a Sherlock or Elementary graphic that has your name and team on it. You can either make one (or more) yourself, but we also have a team thread where you can request a sig tag and someone else will (hopefully) make one for you.

Oh, also there are actually three different comms that you'll get invitations for when you're accepted. One is the landomm itself (land_deduction), where all the cases and official things are posted. There's also a team comm (20021b for Team 221B) where only team members of your team have access. Some of the team challenges take place there. Last but not least there's the social comm (consultandplay) where anyone can post, and there's no restriction about what to post. Basically it's a place where all the members can talk to each other about different things.

August 5, 2014 10:08 pm  #6

Thank you for all the tips!  Just waiting to see if I get invitations now and which team (I really hope it's 221B, as I haven't seen Elementary). 

August 6, 2014 6:04 am  #7

Liberty wrote:

as I haven't seen Elementary

Same here, but even if they put you in Elementary, you can still only use BBC Sherlock for your responses. The teams are more or less just a formality, but of course it's nicer to be in the team you feel most comfortable with.

August 11, 2014 5:21 pm  #8

I've got the invites (221B!) and joined up, and I think I've got started - I just follow the instructions for the current challenges?

Board footera