BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2014 9:06 pm  #21

Re: And speaking about sociopaths... Molly's fiance

No, no, you were not overly defensive. Just the opposite – I was afraid that I voiced my opinions more forcefully than I should. I hope you were not intimidated by my posts, I didn′t intended to abash you – your opinions reveal you as a tolerant and sensitive person and you have a point in your statement that women behaving violently towards men on screen is not that funny. 

Still, I think that such things as Sherlock clothed in a sheet inside the Buckingham Palace, Molly attacking Tom with a fork and so on, were primarily writtten as jokes. And it is a quintessence of a joke to exaggrate things and situations. I suppose it′s not an everyday matter for Molly to pitch her friends with a fork – it was just used here for fun. A hamfisted joke maybe, but it′s nothing serious in the long run nor does it diminish Molly′s character, IMHO. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 13, 2014 10:49 pm  #22

No, not intimidated at all by your posts - they're very eloquent and well thought out.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply ( and I do still love Molly;))

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 15, 2014 1:33 am  #23

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yeah, that was pretty funny. Especially when Molly was embarrassed and made him sit down. He seems like a bit of an idiot, bless him. And isn't a "meat dagger" some kind of sexual innuendo as well...?

Meat dagger is a euphemism - yes it's sexual innuendo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

March 15, 2014 8:29 am  #24

(OT).  I don't think it is.
But I rewatched  Pilot Study in Pink last night and one of the cabbies in that(who takes John back to Baker St), reminds me a bit of the actor who plays Tom!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 15, 2014 8:48 am  #25

I have been thinking about that too; who knows it may be? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 8:50 am  #26

Oh did you see the resemblance, too?
Maybe we need to investigate!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 15, 2014 10:53 am  #27

I will put the DVD on once I'm through with watching Starter for 10. Will be back with my analysis! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 12:11 pm  #28

I don't think it's Ed Birch, a very similar actor though but a few things seem a bit off. Could possibly be related though... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 21, 2014 10:12 am  #29

nakahara wrote:

Honestly, if I was a writer of Sherlock I would cease from writing female characters completely. I noticed that no matter what female character the writers introduce to us, they are always criticised for their choises.

Molly is a nice and pretty normal, sympathetic girl with a crush such girls often have? She is a bad role model because she allows a man to deride her.

So Molly is changed to a BAMF. But instead of being happy people now complain that she is too violent and out of character and that they want old Molly back.

Sally Donovan is quite competent and self-confident policewoman, she just doesn′t like Sherlock. She is immediately castigated as being bitchy.

People are dissing Sherlock for having no strong female characters. Enters Irene Adler who is inteligent, elegant and oozes aggressive strenght and charm while also having no fear to use her body and has a provocative physical appeal. Oh no, she is all wrong because she doesn′t fit into the mold of some politically correct woman image.

So Mary Morstan is written into the show – funny, likeable, self-sufficient and friendly to Sherlock. She is dismissed as a „Mary Sue“.

Then tables turn and Mary Morstan is revealed to be a dangerous and calculating former assassin. She is designated as being a wasted opportunity.

Really, there is no way to please the audience, is it?

Well, I don't know, I never thought Molly got changed to BAMF over night. We meet her again after two years. People develop, it's what happens over the course of time. As we all know life changes people or at least makes them evolve.
I never did not like Molly, but I had a hard time relating to her overall behaviour in the first two series, that was just me and I still loved her nonetheless.
She hasn't changed that much. She just grew up a bit. She still is a nice girl, which is fine, and yet I think there is nothing wrong about learning how to put your feet down from time to time. 

Generally I think we all agree that criticising characters on Sherlock (or Dr.Who) is alright, since as with real people, nobody is flawless (which goes for male and femal characters alike, at least in my book).
Though I completely get what you mean and that you are offended by the criticism when it comes to calling Moffat a misogynist, and holding every move he makes with a female character in his stories against him. This is just plain stupid and very unfair.
Basically I think the range of female characters on Sherlock is quite well balanced right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

April 6, 2014 2:44 am  #30

Steven Moffit has pointed out that in Molly's interactions with Sherlock, she always "won" in the sense that he ended up apologizing (as early as SiB).

Do you think Tom was trying to solve the mystery because he knew he had to be as much like Sherlock as possible to hold onto Molly?

August 10, 2014 7:59 am  #31

He's trying to impress somebody, and I'm not sure if it's Molly or Sherlock.   He seems to have some sort of crush on Sherlock (dressing like him) and could be seeing Molly because of her connection to Sherlock.  He stands up to talk about his deduction, obviously looking for approval, and (goodness knows why) expecting it to be right.  I feel quite sorry for him, especially as the actual murder method was pretty fantastical anyway (I can't see that actually working).  

He doesn't seem so enamoured of Sherlock later on, though, so maybe that shows he was trying to impress Molly rather than Sherlock.  Or maybe he's annoyed at being humiliated.  I get the feeling that Molly stabs him to shut him up just because she knows there's something really important going on.   She's watching Sherlock very carefully.  (Mind you, she always does!). 

August 10, 2014 8:02 am  #32

Yes I don't think we'll be hearing about or seeing Tom again...unless he's a villain!

August 10, 2014 8:45 am  #33

I think his character is only used as a joke towards Molly moving on and i don't expect to see him in S4.

August 10, 2014 12:01 pm  #34

I found it interesting that he was included in a major publicity photo of the main characters.  Don't know if he has a further role to play but it wouldn't surprise me if he showed up again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 10, 2014 1:10 pm  #35

This is interesting then. I haven't taken him serious in account for my predictions till now...

Board footera