BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2012 11:46 am  #1

Sherlock Holmes Canon Quiz - 29th June 2012

I'll give you till next Friday...Ten questions and two bonus questions so 12 points available in total. These questions are all on the original canon stories although you can still get the answer to one of them by looking on Sherlock's website...actually, I'll give you another bonus point if you tell me which question that is...so 13 points in total then.

1. How many steps are there up to 221B?

2. Which story involves a poisonous hallucinating gas?

3. What is the name of Irene Adler's fiance?

4. Which story opens up with Holmes deducing Watson's thoughts just by looking at his facial expression? BONUS: Tell us how

5. What was the name of Holmes' only friend at college?

6. Where did Holmes live before Baker Street?

7. Who is their client in The Copper Beeches?

8. How can Holmes tell that Watson has been unwell just by looking at his slippers? BONUS: Which story is it in?

9. What is the name of Holmes' page boy/errand boy?

10. What does Holmes write on the wall of the flat in bullet holes?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 29, 2012 11:56 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes Canon Quiz - 29th June 2012

ohhhh very devious Boss; there goes my weekend!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 29, 2012 12:25 pm  #3

17 steps.

BBC: Hounds of Baskerville.
Canon: The Adventure of the Devil's Foot.

Godfrey Norton

4. Which story opens up with Holmes deducing Watson's thoughts just by looking at his facial expression? BONUS: Tell us how
The short story The Field Bazaar?

Victor Trevor (from The Adventure of the Gloria Scott, reading it right now)

Montague Street

Violet Hunter

8. How can Holmes tell that Watson has been unwell just by looking at his slippers? BONUS: Which story is it in?
The new slippers are singed from the fire place (The Stock Broker's Clerk)

Billy

V.R. to honour the queen

Last edited by The Doctor (June 30, 2012 10:06 am)

July 6, 2012 3:47 pm  #4

Well, there's 24 hours left so start getting your answers in now please!

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 7, 2012 3:35 am  #5

hope i'm not too late--  other things go in the way,   sorry!!

17 steps     

Adventure of the devil’s foot     

Norton       

don’t know offhand, sorry     

Victor Trevor     

Montague street  near a museum   

Violet Hunter 

sorry,  don’t know…   

Billy     

V R  to honor Queen Victoria   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 7, 2012 2:05 pm  #6

1. 17 steps
2. The Adventure of the Devil's Foot
3. Godfrey Norton
4. The Resident Patient - deduced from his facial expressions as Watson looked from one painting to another & connecting the subject matters as his gaze and expression shifted until finally Watson lay his hand on his leg that was wounded in the war, telling Holmes that he was thinking how preposterous war was.
5. Victor Trevor
6. Montague Street
7. Violet Hunter
8. Watson's slippers were singed on the sole; they were new & it was June so haedly cold weather; therefore he had been ill. This was in the Stock Broker's Clerk.
9.  Billy
10. V.R.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 8, 2012 4:27 pm  #7

OK, sorry for being a bit late on posting the answers, I was in London yesterday (again). So here are the correct answers I was looking for:

The Adventure of the Devil's Foot

Godfrey Norton

It's from The Cardboard Box.
He notices Watson looking up at a painting of an old general on the wall, then he looks to another painting on the book case, looks to the empty spot in the wall so he knows he's thinking of putting the painting there. Then he stares at the second painting (again of another army man) and his expression changes to one of thoughtfullness. Then he looks angry, then sad, then he touches his own old wound. Then a small quivering smile crosses his lips and Holmes is able to agree aloud that he too thinks it's stupid and pointless to deal with disputes through war, much to Watson's obvious amazement.

Victor Trevor

Montague Street

Violet Hunter

He is wearing a pair of new slippers which have a scorch mark on the bottom. At first he thought they might have got wet and Watson dried them by putting them in the fire which is how they got scorched but then he notices there is still a label on the bottom which would have come off if they'd got wet, so now he knows that Watson was putting his feet in front of the fire for no apparent reason, and seeing as it was the middle of July and not that cold he came to the conclusion that he must have been ill and sat resting with his feet up for a few days.
It's from The Stockbrokers Clerk

Billy

V.R.

I also said that you would get a bonus point by telling me which of these questions you could find the answer to by looking on Sherlock's website. The answer is question 6 (Where did Holmes live before Baker Street?). One of Sherlock's first posts on his site is telling people not to contact him at his Montague Street address anymore.

Sooo...the results are as follows:

The Doctor - 10 points
Kitty - 7 and a half points
Kazza - 11 points

Yay, well done Kaz! 

July 8, 2012 7:06 pm  #8

LOL!
thanks Boss.

I forgot, these 2 stories "Resident Patient" and "Cardboard Box" are the 2 that share exactly the same deduction at the start.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 8, 2012 7:10 pm  #9

So, Kazza, Are you going to grace us with another of your fine Questionnaires?

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 8, 2012 8:17 pm  #10

kazza474 wrote:

LOL!
thanks Boss.

I forgot, these 2 stories "Resident Patient" and "Cardboard Box" are the 2 that share exactly the same deduction at the start.

Really? I never noticed. *runs off to read Resident Patient again*

July 9, 2012 2:27 am  #11

Molly Hooper wrote:

So, Kazza, Are you going to grace us with another of your fine Questionnaires?

I was actually going to ask you Ms Molly if you would like to host the next one? I did warn you that I would ask you to .

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 9, 2012 2:29 am  #12

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Really? I never noticed. *runs off to read Resident Patient again*

Yes, either ACD had a touch of Alzheimer's or writers block & hoped no-one would notice....hheheee
Wonder if Moftiss would repeat one when they get stuck & claim that it is a nod to the canon?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 11, 2012 2:08 am  #13

How brilliant was that - never entered a quiz before because my brother is hardcore canonical! Very proud

July 11, 2012 3:09 am  #14

Well done Dr.

A little bird tells me Molly has a quiz and will post it soon. She has bravely taken up my offer, and really any kind of quiz that gets lots more members answering is going to be great.
Remember guys, we can't offer prizes but the challenge is in doing YOUR best & learning along the way.

So please everyone, feel free to start planning your OWN quiz, so that you too can be quizmaster for a week (or a few days). We want as may different members as possible to give it a go, even if you only have 4 or 5 questions, we don't mind.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera