BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2014 5:01 pm  #41

Re: Poor Janine

And if Janine turns out to be a master criminal?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 6, 2014 5:06 pm  #42

Janine is a master criminal (), but that still doesn't excuse it. If Sherlock can make tea and be civil for his arch enemy, he can be civil to Janine, too!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 6, 2014 6:07 pm  #43

He's not always civil with people, though.
I think he regrets his treatment of Janine afterwards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 6, 2014 9:43 pm  #44

Sherlockismyfix wrote:

It really bugged me though, that in the hospital scene we are given to understand that after apparently living together for a month, they had never actually 'done it'. How does that work in the 21st century?

She's hiding in Sherlock's bedroom that morning clothed in nothing but one of his shirts - and what does that signal in the movies when a girl is wearing just her boyfriend's shirt, hmmm?. She is clearly familiar enough with the flat to have made a few domestic changes, such as where the coffee is kept. And then she steps into the bathroom with Sherlock and we hear a squeal and a splash. And later, she sits on his lap and talks of dinner plans with the Watsons and shares a goodbye kiss at the door that is clearly more than a peck on the cheek.

And THEN Moftiss have the nerve to suggest to us that there's been no sex! Seriously???

Well I do live in the 21st century and have been in a similar kind of "chaste relationship" for longer than a month. It was my choice to keep it that way. So yes sometimes it does work like this even in the 21st century. Does that make me weird?

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

August 6, 2014 10:28 pm  #45

Weird is a perjorative, not a word I would choose.

My point was that it is not a common arrangement in contemporary culture, and it appeared to me that the show creators were giving us plenty of hints that this relationship had been consummated.

August 6, 2014 10:29 pm  #46

Sherlock and Janine did not have sex, that is what the: 'just once would have been nice' comment was all about.

August 6, 2014 10:40 pm  #47

besleybean wrote:

Sherlock and Janine did not have sex, that is what the: 'just once would have been nice' comment was all about.

I understand that this is the common interpretation of this line, and if that is the writers' intention, I think it is either sloppy or dishonest of them, given the earlier scene in the apartment.

That line has bothered me because it really doesn't make sense for her to say that, if that is the intended meaning. Are we to believe that even after learning of his dishonesty in manipulating her emotions and lying to her for a month, she wishes he had also slept with her under false pretenses?

August 6, 2014 10:45 pm  #48

I think she is being very illogical..a common problem!

August 6, 2014 11:50 pm  #49

I have no problem believing that Janine and Sherlock didn't sleep together. Relationships can move that slowly when one partner is extremely inexperienced and the other is patient.

I've been Janine dating a Sherlock and it took months just to get a proper kiss out of him (notice that Sherlock's kiss is close-mouthed). Intimacy developed in stages. We shared a bed platonically for what felt like ages. He was worth it. Assuming that Janine is just a regular gal and not the criminal mastermind I believe she is, she might have been sick of the losers she was dating and thought, "This one's worth it because he chose me to be his first. I'm special to him and he's going to be worth the wait."

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 7, 2014 12:27 am  #50

I guess we'll just have to agree to different head canons on this point. 😉

August 7, 2014 5:40 am  #51

Sherlockismyfix wrote:

It really bugged me though, that in the hospital scene we are given to understand that after apparently living together for a month, they had never actually 'done it'. How does that work in the 21st century?

She's hiding in Sherlock's bedroom that morning clothed in nothing but one of his shirts - and what does that signal in the movies when a girl is wearing just her boyfriend's shirt, hmmm?. She is clearly familiar enough with the flat to have made a few domestic changes, such as where the coffee is kept. And then she steps into the bathroom with Sherlock and we hear a squeal and a splash. And later, she sits on his lap and talks of dinner plans with the Watsons and shares a goodbye kiss at the door that is clearly more than a peck on the cheek.

And THEN Moftiss have the nerve to suggest to us that there's been no sex! Seriously???

To me, Janine's willingness to live their relationship chaste has always been proof for her aiming at using Sherlock to get that cottage in Sussex right from the start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 7, 2014 6:53 am  #52

One thing - please remember that Sherlock had been in the drug den the very night Janine spent in his room. And he had been working Lady Smallwood's case for some time so I assume it was not the first night he spent somewhere else.
As for Janine - she saw from the very beginning that Sherlock was different and in some way inaccessible and yet she started a relationship. I think it might have been that ambition drove her to get a man no one would imagine in a relationship, his best friend included. 
I do not feel any real resentment between them, a thing I really like about their relationship. In the end it is a quid pro quo and they sort of respect each other. Not sure if there will be more of Janine but I have no objections against seeing her again if there is a clever turn of events. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 7, 2014 7:28 am  #53

I still hope she's Moriarty's twin or at least sister...
But I'm not sure if that's too obvious.
Did they choose a dark, attractive Irish actor for a reason?!

August 7, 2014 7:32 am  #54

I liked Janine, too. And I agree that both mainly got what they wanted. Her character was understandably written out and much better to swallow than Mary's.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 7, 2014 9:15 am  #55

When I first came across this thread I thought (going by the title) that it wasn't so much about Sherlock and Janine as about CAM and Janine.

I can't help wondering how she even survived hooking up with Sherlock and letting him into CAM's office. Did he (CAM) just shrug it off (seeing that Sherlock's presence in his office may actually have saved him from getting shot in the head by Mary)? Mustn't he have made Janine's life hell when he found out? (Btw, how did he, who thrives on knowing everything about everyone, not know whom his PA was dating in the first place?)

That chilling comment of CAM's towards the end of HLV about flicking her eye and her making "the funniest noises", is that somehow related to this issue? Was he punishing her in some way? 

I'm not overly fond of the idea of Janine returning in season 4 (especially not as *another* secret kick-ass assassin, sorry) but somehow I do want to know whether she's OK now, and safe. She just falls out of the picture somehow with so many questions unanswered.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 7, 2014 9:17 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 7, 2014 10:05 am  #56

Well she could be in her cottage in Sussex.
I feel CAM was quite abusive to her and I strongly suspect he slept with her.

August 17, 2014 10:13 am  #57

I'm sure CAM must know that Janine is dating Sherlock.  The whole situation has been set up by him.  He's shown Sherlock the (probably fake) letters and made it clear he's going to be out of the office.  I'm not sure why exactly (still thinking about this episode), but Magnusson wants Sherlock to try to get into his office and Janine has to play her part for that to happen.  Mary was unexpected.  (I'm surprised that Sherlock was so easily manipulated by Magnusson.  He seriously underestimated him and I'm not sure why).

Yes, it looks like Sherlock and Janine didn't have sex and one thing that shows is that it's possible to print exposes without any evidence.   Which helps explain the power of Magnusson's "mind palace".  He doesn't actually need any real files, just to know what people's pressure points are.   Of course, it also shows that what's printed doesn't need to be true.

The story Janine chooses to sell is one which doesn't actually damage Sherlock or his reputation at all, and I think Sherlock recognises that and doesn't begrudge her using him for some financial compensation.  

I find it really difficult to believe that she was entirely taken in by Sherlock, or that she thought he was actually proposing.  There was no need for her to let him into Magnusson's office.  She could have gone down and met him.  For some reason, she wanted him in there and I'm not sure why - except that Magnusson might have had some influence?   I'd also love to know what Magnusson had on her (that made her have to put up with the eye flicking)!

August 17, 2014 10:21 am  #58

Hmmm...all very interesting.
Though one boring point: Janine couldn't leave her post and I think she wanted to stop Sherlock making a scene in such a public place.

August 17, 2014 10:48 am  #59

Or Magnusson wanted her to let Sherlock in, not go out to him?  I assume it was Magnusson who fed Janine the information that he would be out, for Janine to feed to Sherlock.  He'd probably planned to do an "Ah, Mr Bond. I've been expecting you" type meeting. 

August 17, 2014 11:41 am  #60

I wonder if we'll ever find out.

Board footera