BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2014 4:49 pm  #41

Re: Jeremy Brett Picture Thread

“Villains are very, very boring to do. They're so much easier than heroes.”- Jeremy Brett

August 1, 2014 9:05 am  #42

Beautiful pictures and most dashing Jeremy + his two cute Watsons.
Brings up many happy memories from my childhood when I was an avid watcher of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes".

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 1, 2014 4:09 pm  #43

Thanks, I really appreciate the compliments but I'm not finished yet. 

August 1, 2014 4:21 pm  #44

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson with Mary Morstan from "The Sign of Four." In this series, Watson did not marry her and they had kept him as a bachelor. Although they certainly alluded to the attraction.

August 1, 2014 4:33 pm  #45

"But I remember saying to Jeremy . . . "I feel I'm disappearing inside my costume." I just felt everything was too overwhelming and there wasn't an awful lot for Watson to do and I do remember David (Burke) saying that he found it very difficult to have to react a lot without having a lot of text. Jeremy subsequently found that he got a bit fed up, and I think understandably, with having to learn *huge* amounts of text and tried to get the writers to dispense a bit of it to Watson. So I picked up some of the kind of bits that Jeremy didn't really want to do."-Edward Hardwicke

August 1, 2014 5:25 pm  #46

Jeremy and Edward with a dog named Toby from "The Sign of Four"

August 1, 2014 6:40 pm  #47

"I remember when Sir Alistair Cook said to me, many years ago, about 1981, before we started, he said that the three most memorable people in the last hundred years are Churchill, Hitler and Sherlock Holmes. Now this was meant to encourage me – I was terrified! “Well, that’s really done it now.” I mean, I didn’t want to play the part in the first place because I thought I would fail! ‘Cause there had been so many people playing it before. But to think that one of those three people never existed at all is extraordinary!"- Jeremy Brett

August 1, 2014 6:44 pm  #48

"I will never get to the bottom of the barrel. When I get stuck, I put my hand further into the sawdust. Holmes is the most complex, isolated creature--a complete eccentric, a very private man, a very lonely man. He's a man with a brilliant instinct who can be a demented nightbird, driving around the streets of London in the dead of night. He's very gracious to women, but a man with a fear of women--a man who doesn't believe in society of trivia."- Jeremy Brett

Last edited by BrettHolmes (August 1, 2014 6:45 pm)

August 1, 2014 6:49 pm  #49

Sherlock Holmes with the man that he refers to as "Brothermine" from "The Bruce Partington Plans"

August 1, 2014 6:52 pm  #50

"I don't really mind actually. I must be very grateful to Arthur Conan Doyle because we are in the deepest recession in England, and only five percent of my profession are at work. I'm one of them at work, so I'm not knocking it."- Jeremy Brett on being typecast as Holmes

August 1, 2014 7:08 pm  #51

Some pictures of Jeremy and Edward from "The Hound of the Baskervilles"

August 1, 2014 7:10 pm  #52

"Tina Turner may not agree, but the world does need heroes and yet again, at the end of another century, Holmes captures the heroic bent...I think he's a very modern person. He's interested in the poor, the street, law and justice. He got there before Clint Eastwood."-Jeremy Brett

August 1, 2014 7:13 pm  #53

"We were not put on this Earth by chance and neither have we been put here simply to live and die. We are all on a wonderful journey of discovery. Not only to discover the joys and hardships of life, but to discover who we really are."-Jeremy Brett

Last edited by BrettHolmes (August 5, 2014 10:10 pm)

August 1, 2014 10:12 pm  #54

Very nice and I love the quotes! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 2, 2014 3:20 pm  #55

"So, he's the best to me, the best friend a man's ever had. I mean personally."- Jeremy Brett on Edward Hardwicke

August 2, 2014 3:22 pm  #56

“Close friendships need humour and tolerance. Watson needs a sense of humour to survive Holmes' worst excesses.”- Edward Hardwicke

August 2, 2014 3:25 pm  #57

“I no longer feel threatened by Holmes, in fact I really enjoy playing him. Holmes is an upholder of the law, and he has a magnetism and mental genius that have been compulsive for people throughout the last hundred years. I was astounded when I realized how attractive he is to them (women). You'd never suspect it for one moment from the books. Girls long to seduce him. I do know that the team at Granada Studios are the finest. To everyone who has worked on these films of 'Sir Arthur Conan Doyle''s stories in the past decade, only one word can express how I feel: Bravo! Holmes has finally given me recognition as a real actor, not just an aging pretty face. “- Jeremy Brett

August 5, 2014 10:04 pm  #58

“I'm not a very *physical* person, really, I used to think it would do me a great deal of good to lift weights, but I gave it up when my neck started getting bigger than my head.”- Jeremy Brett

August 5, 2014 10:09 pm  #59

"During our 10 year association, I was privileged to get to know Jeremy very well. We became great friends. We both believed that the friendship between Holmes and Watson must be rooted in humour. In reality, Jeremy made sure there was always laughter when we were working. In spite of the enormous strain his illness placed on him he never lost his sense of joy. He had a wonderful laugh. It was infectious. The enormous list of actors and technicians who worked on the series will tell you that they never had a happier job. That was Jeremy. This, of course, was the background to a great actor giving a great performance. I shall miss him." – Edward Hardwicke

August 5, 2014 10:12 pm  #60

Sherlock Holmes with Inspector Lestrade, played by Colin Jeavons

Board footera