BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2014 12:01 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock: S4

besleybean wrote:

See I'm not interested in any big scene between John and Mary...
Sherlock's rection to John, is all I want to know about...

I agree. I do not want or need a big scene between John and Mary either. Just the boys together. 

Tinks: I like Martin very much and have not seen very much of his work so this is just a hunch. Nevertheless I feel that Benedict is the more versatile actor. I can imagine him in nearly every part/period/costume/character. And this shows in "Sherlock". But to be fair - in series 3 Benedict had much more occasion to show his character's development than Martin had. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 31, 2014 12:03 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 31, 2014 12:16 pm  #22

I certainly agree with you about Sherlock's development as compared to John's Susi.
I actually think though that a lot of the direction and writing in the series highlights Martin's strengths as an Actor, and often it takes a second viewing of a scene to see that while Martin is taking centre stage, BC is giving a subtle but brilliant performance in the background ( the Baker Street scene in HLV, for instance).
The thing is, there's so much focus on the suppressed emotion, and the facial tics that MF uses, that, because I have seen a lot of his other work, I feel like I've reached saturation point for a while!
It's a reason why I was disappointed to learn that Richard III was to be slightly modernised - I'd have been so excited to hear Martin was stepping completely out of his comfort zone.
I know I'm on my own with this though so probably just my mind working in odd ways!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

July 31, 2014 12:16 pm  #23

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

See I'm not interested in any big scene between John and Mary...
Sherlock's rection to John, is all I want to know about...

I agree. I do not want or need a big scene between John and Mary either. Just the boys together.

I also agree, and nowhere did I write anything about a big scene between John and Mary. (Can we please agree to read accurately what other people are writing here? Thank you.)
I mentioned John's reaction and would love it if Mary was nowhere to be seen when the reaction happens. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 31, 2014 12:21 pm  #24

Fine.
Can we also agree that unless I name an individual, I am just making a general comment which isn't directed at any one person

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 31, 2014 12:23 pm  #25

Tinks, I know what you mean. I haven't reached what you're calling the "saturation point" yet, but there are certain things he's doing over and over again, in all kinds of roles. To a point that in the last Hobbit movie there was a moment where I thought 'Oh look, that's John!'. And let's face it, that's a bit not good. 
On tumblr I recently saw a collection of pics from various films and projects, those were moments where he did a certain facial expression... and while this was kind of celebrated on tumblr as a wonderful recognition value, I just thought 'Okay, but for an actor that's rather not a huge compliment, is it?'.

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 31, 2014 12:24 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 31, 2014 12:26 pm  #26

This seems to be in accord with some opinions about Richard III. I have not seen the production and cannot comment on this but it seems that his range may be somewhat smaller than Benedict's. Which is no problem as such. 
Coming back to topic: I am sure he will be wonderful provided Moftiss give him the chance to develop his character further like they did with Sherlock. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 31, 2014 12:27 pm  #27

Solar, you always make me feel better when I'm nervous about voicing an opinion
It's something I've been thinking for a while, but felt bad about it! I'm glad I'm not completely alone.

Last edited by Tinks (July 31, 2014 12:28 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

July 31, 2014 12:28 pm  #28

I am a 100% Benedict fan(particularly in terms of Sherlock) but I have to say, Martin was good in S1 and even better in S2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 31, 2014 12:44 pm  #29

Tinks wrote:

Solar, you always make me feel better when I'm nervous about voicing an opinion
It's something I've been thinking for a while, but felt bad about it! I'm glad I'm not completely alone.

I'm sure you can always voice your opinion, even if you fear it might not be a popular one. I'm always a bit reluctant myself to say so when I don't quite agree with what the majority thinks about certain things. But wouldn't this be a boring place if we all just agreed on everything all the time? 
Apart from that, I think you have a very diplomatic and well-considered way of voicing your opinion. 

July 31, 2014 1:57 pm  #30

Thank you. That's much appreciated

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

July 31, 2014 2:23 pm  #31

I feel like Series 3 has left us in a sort of Hiatus state whereby we won't know how to truly view and appreciate Series 3 as a whole until we've seen Series 4...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 31, 2014 2:46 pm  #32

Yes, I think that's the difference...
Whereas 1&2 are more stand alone.

July 31, 2014 4:57 pm  #33

I liked S2 the best, though HLV is in my top three episodes. I just remember being so excited when each new episode of S3 came out, and I really can't wait for S4. 

What are you going to do during the wait? 

July 31, 2014 5:04 pm  #34

Hopefully get to Setlock, but not certain I'll make it...

July 31, 2014 5:24 pm  #35

SolarSystem wrote:

I would be happy if they didn't even concentrate on the whole Mary thing too much, there are things I am much more interested in. Of course they have to do something with her, but I don't need this to take centre stage. John's reaction to anything we might learn about her though... that's something I wouldn't wanna miss for the world. 

I'd very much like it if they resolved the Mary issue in the one off special.  And then had that lead into the new arc for S4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 31, 2014 5:52 pm  #36

That had been one of my thoughts but...Xmas special?

July 31, 2014 7:25 pm  #37

Yeah, it'd be great to get rid of Mary in the Xmas special (no offence to her or Amanda, obviously). Then it could be straight back to normal Sherlock & John in S4. Except....Sherlock, John and the Baby.....I keep forgetting about the bloody baby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 31, 2014 7:29 pm  #38

HAS to be David's...or Mary goes away with it(her).

Last edited by besleybean (July 31, 2014 7:29 pm)

July 31, 2014 7:35 pm  #39

I'm with you on that one BB.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 31, 2014 7:37 pm  #40

Unless the boys raise baby?!

Board footera