BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2014 7:57 pm  #1

Sherlock: S4

Found this article.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/561085/20140730/sherlock-season-4-benedict-cumberbatch.htm#.U9lMaIBdXhw

The quote that made me agonise the most is this: 'Cumberbatch said that the filming of three episodes is scheduled to begin at the end of next year, adding that the whole purpose of doing "Sherlock" again is doing it better than last time.'

Well, at least we get the Christmas Special. I patiently await it. 

Last edited by BreathingIsBoring (July 30, 2014 7:58 pm)

July 30, 2014 10:27 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock: S4

Yeah, well.... The fandom that waited....
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/the-fandom-that-waited

We discussed it here, if you like to have a look:
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5189&p=1

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 31, 2014 1:04 am  #3

I really want S4 to be better than S3.....That would be awesome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 31, 2014 2:35 am  #4

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

They'd have to fail pretty spectacularly to make it worse ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 31, 2014 7:29 am  #5

I seem to be in the minority in that S3 was my fave so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 31, 2014 7:53 am  #6

Don't think they could ever top Series 2 but the quality has still been good since then but I still love Series 2 best.

July 31, 2014 8:13 am  #7

besleybean wrote:

Same here.
Although it's a close run as I love S1 and S2 very much, too.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 31, 2014 10:13 am  #8

Wholocked wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

They'd have to fail pretty spectacularly to make it worse ;-)

^^^  All my LOLs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 31, 2014 10:13 am  #9

Mattlocked wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Same here.
Although it's a close run as I love S1 and S2 very much, too.

HLV made it into my Top 3 Sherlock episodes of all time, but as an overall analysis of the Series, I definitely preferred the first two.

July 31, 2014 10:22 am  #10

I just think apart from anything else, this is where we are now,...this was the place of the team's vision at that time and I also don't like harking back to the past- we have to progress.
Having said that I can obvioulsy understand people having attachment to the very first episode, or the one where we first see Moriarty, the one with the powerful woman, the one where Sherlock returns or whatever...as well as people just enjoying a particular story or any of the episodes for a variety of reasons.
I'm always keen to see what's coming next.
I've also been challenged.
I was dreading The Woman, but it was done well.
I was dreading the Reunion, because I knew how John was going to react...
I was dreading the Wedding, but again it was done well.

I like cliffhangers!
The only thing I would add is that I do feel at the moment, we're all awaiting John's return to 221b...will that happen in S4?

Last edited by besleybean (July 31, 2014 10:27 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 31, 2014 10:29 am  #11

besleybean wrote:

The thing is that they differ in style and characterisation so it is not easy to tell. But I think I love series 3 best, too. With the others following close up. One personal reason for me could be that it was the first time I experienced the waiting, the excitement and the final airing from within the fandom. That was awesome! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 31, 2014 10:36 am  #12

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

The thing is that they differ in style and characterisation so it is not easy to tell. But I think I love series 3 best, too. With the others following close up. One personal reason for me could be that it was the first time I experienced the waiting, the excitement and the final airing from within the fandom. That was awesome! 

That's cool! I'm glad you weren't disappointed with what you got!

July 31, 2014 10:37 am  #13

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

The thing is that they differ in style and characterisation so it is not easy to tell.

Very true. I constantly change my mind about which series I like best, and sometimes I just think 'Oh, why bother?'. The style of S3 feels very different to me in comparison to S1 and S2, so I find it rather difficult to really make a comparison and decide which series is my favourite one. 
One thing I know for sure though is that I miss John in 221B so badly it almost physically hurts. It feels so wrong that he's not there, and in my opinion they really have to do something about this in S4. John not living there anymore has a lot to do with the different feel of S3...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 31, 2014 10:39 am  #14

It's certainly an interesting phenomenon of people joining the fandom at different times.
I seem to recall the fisrt fan site I belonged to had actually started before series 1 aired!
I joined a couple of months later and I had been searching  for a site the whole time!

Yes, I do feel the major problem with S3 for people is John not being in 221B, which may or may not also be an issue with Mary.

Last edited by besleybean (July 31, 2014 10:43 am)

July 31, 2014 11:27 am  #15

Yes, that is true. This is missing and more so because it is such an essential element of the whole Holmes universe.

I really love the series 3. And yet for the first time I felt put to the test regarding my ability to accept the characters' behaviour, a problem I did not have in series 1 and 2. Btw, this only applies to the John-Mary-Sherlock relationship, not Sherlock's shooting Magnussen. Morally ambiguous as it may seem, I could always accept it from the point of storytelling. Whereas in the Baker Street scene and later at the Holmeses I had this feeling of "no, never, you do not really want me to buy that, do you?" A problem I resolved for myself in a way that many others have done as well. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 31, 2014 11:38 am  #16

I honestly am waitng to see what S4 brings.
I really do not know whether the team are building up for us to be glad to wave Mary goodbye...or whether she is just the victim she has so far been portayed to be(and I am buying this for now).

July 31, 2014 11:44 am  #17

But she is not just a victim, is she? Sorry, but I cannot bring myself to feel like that. If they wanted me to see her as a victim, they failed spectacularly. And I am not alone in that. And I simply cannot see them failing like that. 

July 31, 2014 11:45 am  #18

I would be happy if they didn't even concentrate on the whole Mary thing too much, there are things I am much more interested in. Of course they have to do something with her, but I don't need this to take centre stage. John's reaction to anything we might learn about her though... that's something I wouldn't wanna miss for the world. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 31, 2014 11:55 am  #19

See I'm not interested in any big scene between John and Mary...
Sherlock's rection to John, is all I want to know about...

July 31, 2014 11:59 am  #20

To be honest it's taken a long time for me to admit that overall, I didn't really like season 3 - it almost feels disloyal to say it.
The reasons for it are many and maybe too complicated to explain fully, but one thing that was never a problem for me was John moving out of Baker Street; it happened in the Novels and I fully expected it to happen in the series, too.
The very odd thing about season 3 for me was how some of my previous thinking was completely turned on its head; I finally realised what BC was doing with the character and came to realise what a fantastic Actor he is.
Conversely, after years of being a massive fan of MF's acting, and not withstanding the fact that what he does, he does very well, I got a little tired of seeing him do things always the same way, and have found I've had to take a break from watching him in anything for a while
If you knew how much I used to rave about how good he is before now, you'd know how odd this is!

Last edited by Tinks (July 31, 2014 11:59 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera