BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2014 5:11 pm  #1461

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I completely agree about the lack of gay heroes in general, and that there is still a lot of work to be done on gay rights, but do you really think that would have prevented the writers from writing gay characters?   All the more reason to increase representation, I would have thought!   There are gay characters in children's TV programmes.  There are gay characters on soaps (I'm old enough to remember the first soap opera gay kiss on Eastenders in the '80s!). Why couldn't there be gay characters in an evening drama series?

Last edited by Liberty (July 26, 2014 5:12 pm)

July 26, 2014 5:19 pm  #1462

Possibly because the Sherlock Holmes stories are not about a gay couple.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 26, 2014 5:53 pm  #1463

besleybean wrote:

Neither are they about a female Watson or a Vicodin addicted self-hating medical genius. And yet these adaptations exist and are loved by many. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 26, 2014 5:56 pm  #1464

besleybean wrote:

Oh no, not again. This is getting rather boring.
The Sherlock Holmes stories were written ages ago when nobody even thought of popular books being about gay characters. A modern adaptation could easily chose a different path.  I like the idea of "slow burn".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 26, 2014 5:57 pm  #1465

Weren't they gay in the original? ;)

Seriously, I can accept that it was impossible for Arthur Conan Doyle to write a gay couple at the time, and that his intention may have been that they were gay (reading the stories, I'm not sure either way).   Homosexuality was illegal back then.  It was still illegal (in my part of the world, anyway) when Wilder made Private Life, so I can accept that he may have intended them to be gay but felt he couldn't show it at the time.

I can't accept that Moftiss, writing now, for the BBC, felt unable to write gay characters.

Last edited by Liberty (July 26, 2014 5:59 pm)

July 26, 2014 5:57 pm  #1466

Indeed, as we all love BBC Sherlock.
I am also bound to point out that none of the other versions have ever even claimed to be as true to the original as possible.
Yes, it wasn't that Mark and Steven felt unable, they chose not to.

Last edited by besleybean (July 26, 2014 5:59 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 26, 2014 6:00 pm  #1467

Ani: Exactly. We have so many examples of heterosexual love stories that develop slowly and meet impediments, where the couples marry other people or are separated or lose each in other in various ways. Why not the same for gay couples? Do they have to scream I am gay/bisexual and in love with you from the rooftops the minute the show starts? I think really not. 

And they have never said that they are true to ACD in the sense that nothing can be changed. They have changed so many things - why not this one? But this is really getting old. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 26, 2014 6:02 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 26, 2014 6:04 pm  #1468

Of course not...but we do not view BBC Sherlock in a sterile bubble.
The team interact with the wiorld and we know what they have said.
But of course they just telll lies...
Unless of course they say sonething we want to hear.

July 26, 2014 6:06 pm  #1469

SusiGo wrote:

And they have never said that they are true to ACD in the sense that nothing can be changed. 

I was thinking about that a couple of minutes. Yes, you're right, Susi. The series that claimed to be as true as possible to the original was the Granada series with Jeremy Brett.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 26, 2014 6:08 pm  #1470

I loved both the Rathbone films and the Brett series and Young Sherlock Holmes.
Not so keen on the 7% solution.

July 26, 2014 6:40 pm  #1471

No, the 7% book is better than the film. But I like "The Private Life of SH" also very much. 

July 26, 2014 6:42 pm  #1472

Does the 7% book have the same ending as the film?
I was ok with the film until that point and then that was just so wrong and not Sherlock at all...

July 26, 2014 6:44 pm  #1473

No, Holmes goes on his long journey to recover but he does not meet the woman on the boat. If I remember correcty, he takes a train. And he goes away alone with his violin and Watson remains with Freud and hopes to see him again. 

July 26, 2014 6:48 pm  #1474

Oh heck that is so much better.

July 26, 2014 6:49 pm  #1475

Indeed it is. I really dislike the end in the film. 

July 26, 2014 7:50 pm  #1476

SusiGo wrote:

Ani: Exactly. We have so many examples of heterosexual love stories that develop slowly and meet impediments, where the couples marry other people or are separated or lose each in other in various ways. Why not the same for gay couples? Do they have to scream I am gay/bisexual and in love with you from the rooftops the minute the show starts? I think really not.

Because this was about a gay writer finally being able to show gay characters expressing their love, instead of the unspoken, hidden love of the Wilder film.

(Edit: I mean, your quote here

SusiGo wrote:

So if Billy Wilder deeply regretted not having made his Holmes expressly homosexual and this film is the favourite film of a gay writer and actor who in turn gets the chance to realise his very own version of Sherlock Holmes - see what I mean? 

So yes, I think the point would be for it be overt. I do agree with you about love stories in general; they're about impediments.    But if you wanted to show a gay couple openly in love (because you knew Wilder regretted not doing that) as was suggested, then, well, you could and would!  

And I'm not disagreeing with the Johnlock thing (still keeping an open mind on that one and I haven't finished watching every episode yet), but just on that point.

I'm actually a little wary of going down that route.  I used to write fan fiction years ago and I used to ship (male) couples who weren't in a relationship or gay.  I'll tell you what that does to your viewing: it makes you very good at seeing things that aren't there.   Look for them, and you'll find them.  It was great fun at the time, but it's made me be cautious about looking too hard for "signs".   (I'm not saying they're not there). 

I do still want to see a romantic friendship, so that's what I'm seeing.  I'm not sure if that's the correct term for what I mean, but a delightful, loving friendship which can include some of the elements of a romantic relationship (jealousy, knowing what each other is thinking, finishing sentences, etc.).  Those sort of relationships are not so often portrayed and I like to see it.  (Would also be absolutely delighted with a kiss or more.  The Molly and Moriarty kisses in TEH make me wonder if they're going to get a John one in there somehow or other!).

Last edited by Liberty (July 26, 2014 8:07 pm)

July 26, 2014 7:52 pm  #1477

Liberty wrote:

I can't accept that Moftiss, writing now, for the BBC, felt unable to write gay characters.

We will see about that.
The idea of "slow burn" actually makes sense on various levels. It makes sense when it comes to a story arch that doesn't give you two characters falling in love almost immediately - how boring is that? I think it's great story telling when your characters have to go through all sorts of tragedy, adventure, separation before they finally end up together. A first hug, then maybe the death of someone's wife...
It also makes sense in terms of warming the audience to the idea of having a gay couple on a prime time tv show. It's a slow, very slow development, I grant you that. But this might also be because they want to prepare the audience for things to come. And yes, it's sad that at least parts of the audience need to be prepared for something like this. But sometimes progress takes a long, long time...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 26, 2014 8:00 pm  #1478

This is all wonderful analysis, but for a different show.
Mark and Steven have been asked about and have spoken about John and Sherlock's relationship...
I don't know why people think they would lie about it.
The characters will grow and the relationship wiill develop...but there is no intention  for them to fall in love.

July 27, 2014 8:01 pm  #1479

For me personally, when I bring up the fact that The Moftiss has lied in the past, I'm not waving my Johnlock flag and saying they are absolutely, without a doubt, lying about Sherlock and John's relationship. I'm just saying that, based on their history, we shouldn't take their words as gospel.

Of course, there's also the possibility that they may in fact have no current plans to take the relationship beyond a bromace, but they could always change their minds as the stories develop. I've done some writing myself (not fanfic), and sometimes my characters take me in a completely different direction than I've originally planned.

July 27, 2014 8:13 pm  #1480

Though presumably yours are original creations...Mark and Steven are working from a previous text.

Board footera