BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 2:03 am  #1

Some disturbing implications about Sherlock's motives...

1) Could Sherlock and Mycroft have let Irene go BECAUSE the terrorists would do something worse to her than they could? (Although, I'm not quite sure why the terrorists had to kill her. She was free...they could have sent her right back out to collect more information.)

2) I THINK it's implied that Sherlock rescued Irene and she's still alive, but if you just watch what's happening onscreen in the final scene, he could be taking over the job of beheading her.

July 26, 2014 10:17 pm  #2

Re: Some disturbing implications about Sherlock's motives...

1.  She said earlier that information on that phone was her protection.  Without it, she couldn't blackmail people to ensure her safety.  Also, it would make sense that because she failed in her mission to bring down the Holmes boys, and what's worse, released all those secrets on her phone to the British government, her 'employers' would want to take her out.

2.  Just wrong.  Rewatch the scene.  He tells her to run. Then he whirls around and slashes as the people behind him.

July 26, 2014 11:24 pm  #3

1) I agree that Mycroft and Sherlock let Irene go to get the punishment they thought she deserved. *shudders*

2) I think it's pretty clear that he's saving Irene. I've always disliked the end of SIB because of the enormous implications of Sherlock's actions. I think it's pretty clear that he butchered a bunch of men with a sword... This is kind of like the scenes in TEH with John beating him up, something the writers did for a lark without realising the more sinister implications.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

July 27, 2014 7:14 am  #4

You know you are right.
I am ashamed to say I never thought of this before.
Though to be fair, I think fighbting off killers, who were about to execute an innocent woman...
is a tad different to murdering CAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 27, 2014 8:18 am  #5

Well, she wasn't entirely innocent .  I can accept this level of violence as presumably it was necessary.  A soldier might have to do something equally awful.  But maybe you're right, Mary, that the writers don't fully think about the implications and what it means for the character?  Had he ever slaughtered a group of people before?  It's quite a big thing ... but I suppose it maybe does reflect in later episodes. 

July 27, 2014 8:20 am  #6

I also think they feel it makes good TV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 27, 2014 8:37 am  #7

True!  Also, a reference to the pirate fantasy.

July 27, 2014 9:51 am  #8

I assume you mean in the sense of adventure.
They were a long way from the sea!

July 27, 2014 9:56 am  #9

I meant the cutlass! 

July 27, 2014 10:01 am  #10

I don't think it's a cutlass but a scimitar.

July 27, 2014 10:09 am  #11

You know, I was just writing that and thinking, I'm sure somebody will be able to tell me it's not actually a cutlass .  I know nothing about swords/arms.  But to the ignorant (like me), it does look a bit like a pirate weapon.  Even the outfit is slightly piratey. 

July 27, 2014 10:18 am  #12

I think it's supposed to me more like a whirling durbisher.

Board footera