BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2014 1:47 am  #1

Martin Freeman predicts death of major Sherlock character

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-07-01/martin-freeman-predicts-death-of-major-sherlock-character

In the article, he states that Mary will be the one that will eventually die. I do know many Holmes scholars believe that Conan Doyle realized he made a mistake by having Watson marry Mary Morstan in "The Sign of Four" and that he quietly wrote her out of the picture and that Watson became a bachelor again. So not having her as a long term character would be staying true to the canon.

July 25, 2014 9:40 am  #2

Re: Martin Freeman predicts death of major Sherlock character

Mary is not a major character of the show for me. I assume that she will indeed die eventually, but it wouldn't really come as a huge surprise.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 25, 2014 11:33 am  #3

SolarSystem wrote:

Mary is not a major character of the show for me. I assume that she will indeed die eventually, but it wouldn't really come as a huge surprise.

I'm actually hoping for it.  *evil grin*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 25, 2014 11:42 am  #4

Me too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 25, 2014 12:11 pm  #5

I wouldn't set too much on these Radio Times articles; they've reworked Benedict's one from yesterday to make it look like he's confirmed Moriarty is back (he actually evaded the question), and presumably they've overdramatised some comments of Martin's here too.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

July 25, 2014 12:33 pm  #6

I'm not her biggest fan but I don't want John being upset

-Robyn x

July 25, 2014 12:52 pm  #7

Neither do I.
But if we have to lose a major character...
other than Mrs H, I can't really think of anybody else I would want to go...if you know what I mean!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 25, 2014 12:55 pm  #8

I would assume that John is already upset, and staying with her will probably upset him more and more in the long-run. She is not the right one for him.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 25, 2014 1:03 pm  #9

I don't really think we get a say in that...but the option is tempting.

July 25, 2014 1:54 pm  #10

We don't get a say in anything concerning the show. Why are we even here?

July 25, 2014 3:30 pm  #11

LOL

Yeah, Mary dying isn't exactly a news flash.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 26, 2014 7:00 pm  #12

besleybean wrote:

Neither do I.
But if we have to lose a major character...
other than Mrs H, I can't really think of anybody else I would want to go...if you know what I mean!

Noooo, they couldn't get rid of Mrs H - she looks after the boys to let them do their funky stuff!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

July 27, 2014 3:24 pm  #13

Killing off Mary wouldn't surprise me.  It accords with canon, and it is hard to see how the creators could adhere the basic Holmes/Watson dynamic with Mary in the picture for the long run.

It's too bad in a way, because I really like Amanda Abbington's Mary and would love to see more of her. 

My concern has to do with the baby.  No way we're going to have a two men and a baby scenario, and I really hope they don't kill off the kid.  Perhaps John's sister Harry will clean up her act and raise the kid....

July 27, 2014 5:17 pm  #14

Mary will die; perhaps the writers will give her a redemptive arc in which she saves Sherlock's life, but sacrifices her own.

Baby Watson will be DNA tested and David will be the father.

Any other outcomes might devastate John even more and we really don't need any more angst going forward.

July 31, 2014 8:34 pm  #15

JNinSoCal wrote:

Mary will die; perhaps the writers will give her a redemptive arc in which she saves Sherlock's life, but sacrifices her own.
Baby Watson will be DNA tested and David will be the father.
Any other outcomes might devastate John even more and we really don't need any more angst going forward.

I like your plot idea, but I don't think it's possible that David would be the father. Mary obviously adores John, to the point she nearly killed Sherlock, despite her real fondness for him.
I've bee so disappointed in her. I used to like her so much before HLV. She seemed strong, perceptive and kind in the same time. But no matter what Sherlock does to prove John she didn't really want to kill him, she actually took the chance it might happen. How could we forgive her that ? 
I don't think John should really go on living with her. So yes. I too hope that she'll be the one to die. But what of the baby ? What if he was Magnussen's ? He could have make Mary sleep with him in exchange to his (temporary) silence. He seems rather fascinated by her in a way ("bad, bad girl..."). And if Mary befriended Janine because she was M's secretary, she must have been threatened by him for a long time, because you can't ask someone you've just met to be your maid of honour.

July 31, 2014 8:36 pm  #16

Unless Mary played on the orphan thing to Janine who then felt sorry for her.

Board footera