BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2014 9:28 am  #1

developpement of supporting characters in S4

how do you imagine the supporting character will developp in S4?

Mycroft
Anderson
Lestrade
Molly
Wiggins
Donovan

(not Mary, there's enough topics about her ;) )

July 23, 2014 7:19 pm  #2

Re: developpement of supporting characters in S4

Mycroft: I think we are in a for some revelations, either about his and Sherlock's past or his connections to Moriarty/Moran/Mary whatever. Or the other one. 

Anderson: No idea if they are going to explore him further. No real need to do so. 

Lestrade: I would like to see him with Molly. A bit fluff after all those tragic events. He might also save Sherlock or John or both during a case. 

Molly: Not sure which path they might take but I love her as a character. Maybe teaming up with Lestrade could help her to overcome her infatuation with Sherlock. 

Wiggins: No brilliant idea at the moment but I like him as a character. 

Donovan: I want to see her together with Sherlock in a big scene. We have seen with all characters after his return with the exception of Sally. So there might be room for a new development. 

Anyone ideas for Mrs Hudson?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 23, 2014 7:21 pm  #3

I think Mrs. Hudson should slip some of her herbal soothers into some biscuits for John and Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 23, 2014 7:24 pm  #4

Yes I liked the development of Anderson in S3...will be interesting to see how it progresses.
Def want to see Greg and Molly get together.
Again, will be interesting to see if they do anything more with Wiggins...he's not 'the other one' is he? Too young?!
Yes, Sally seems to be turning nicer...let's hope this extends to Sherlock!
Hope nothing happens to Mrs H..bad, I mean.

Last edited by besleybean (July 23, 2014 7:25 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 23, 2014 7:32 pm  #5

tonnaree wrote:

I think Mrs. Hudson should slip some of her herbal soothers into some biscuits for John and Sherlock.

Are there any fan fiction writers out there who could write this one?!

I wish Molly and Sherlock would get together, but I'm realistic, so I'm going to hope for Molly and Greg getting together.

Mycroft is bursting with a biiiiiig secret, I just know it.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

July 23, 2014 7:35 pm  #6

We all seem to have that feeling with Mycroft...

Last edited by besleybean (July 23, 2014 7:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 23, 2014 8:53 pm  #7

I hope we are going to see more scenes with Lestrade. Something like solving a case together with Sherlock and John like in HoB. I love Lestrade, he had too little scenes in series 3  . I am not sure about a Lestrade/Molly relationship. I don't want Sherlock turn into a soap opera. Maybe it could work if their affection will be just hinted every now and then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 23, 2014 10:37 pm  #8

I wonder too what Mycroft knows. He knows where John has dinner but not about Mary, when it took very little time for Sherlock to find out (how did Sherlock found out anyway?) ? And if he knows from the beginning why he lets an assasin so close to his brother? 

I would love to see more from Lestrade, from all "secondary" characters, i like him the most. He seems to be also the most balanced person of the series and the only one who stays the same from the frist episode till now. 

July 24, 2014 7:16 am  #9

I'd like to see Anderson develop as a villain. I even can imagine he did moriarty appear on the screen.
he knew Sherlock was on the Magnussen case, he certainly still has connection with police, and he's totally obsessed with Sherlock. So maybe he doesn't want sherlock to fly away...
it's a big question for me how Molly will be like in serie 4 ( i don't think it's a good idea to put them together with Lestrade...the main interest of Molly's character being her interactions with Sherlock) She grew strong in serie 3, but now??? I can't imagine return to the old hersel anymore after slapping Sherlock, but then...can't be a second John to sherlock either.

July 24, 2014 7:24 am  #10

Definitely not.
We already have one usurping wife!

July 24, 2014 8:53 am  #11

As for Mycroft...I love the conversations he has with Sherlock or John, but i'm a bit tired of seeing him getting involved in every complicated case or appear like a "deus ex machina" to save sherlock's ass.
I'd like to see Sherlock cope with cases just by himself ( with John, of course)

July 24, 2014 1:01 pm  #12

Even though I don't actively ship it, I think Molly and Lestrade would be wonderful together.  They are both really good people and I'd like to see them in a nice stable relationship.  Wouldn't have to go to soap opera land with it.  It could just be some nice background.

Although it would be fun for Sherlock to deduce the relationship before they've had the chance to "go public."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 18, 2014 9:49 am  #13

I love LeStrade and would like to see him developed more.  I don't think I want a relationship with Molly.  That would be too sweet.  I'd actually like something completely new for LeStrade, something much darker and more dramatic.  Something that really tests him, while keeping the same character.   There's something exciting about putting the most stable, good, honest character on the line.  I think there's an awful lot that could be done with him.  

I don't think the writers will go that way though, so it's probably fan fiction material .

August 21, 2014 10:08 pm  #14

Mycroft - well. There's a whole world there still to be discovered. I want to see Sherlock being cleverer than Mycroft, just once. I'd like Sherlock to come to Mycroft's aid, for a change, rather than him rescuing Sherlock all the time. But I don't want to see a soppy reconciliation. And I want Mycroft to keep giving us good laughs.

Anderson - I like the idea of him turning into a villain. He seems pretty derailed by now. If he turns that to some evil purpose, that could be interesting. Otherwise, please no more Anderson, he's just sad.

Lestrade - can't get enough of him. I'd like him to be happy again in his private life, because he really deserves to be. Not with Molly though - too sweet, like Liberty said. I agree that he's probably the character that develops the least  throughout the series (apart maybe from Mrs Hudson, who is also pretty static), but somehow I don't mind. I couldn't say in which direction I'd want him to be taken, so maybe just leave him where he is...

Molly - I loved the "new" Molly in S3, I'd like to see her and Sherlock redefine their relationship as more equal, each respecting the other for their scientific talents and human qualities.  I'm not sure how long the running joke of Molly trying to date other men and always coming back to Sherlock will still be funny.

I sense some sort of disaster descending on the Watson family in S4, which will result in John needing true friends to lean on and help him find his feet again, and while Sherlock will certainly play an important part in this, John may also need someone less complicated, someone who'll just listen and hold his hand and hug him when he needs it. Sherlock wouldn't be the ideal person for that sort of thing.  Mrs Hudson would mean well but overdo it terribly. I think Molly would be very well fitted for that part.

Wiggins - no more of him, please. I hate that guy. I don't see his point (beyond his role in HLV). By this time, Sherlock has gathered quite a "family" (basically all the people on our forum banner) of lovely and interesting characters. They all have their narrative functions and they all deserve a place in Sherlock's family. But there's no need of adding new members all the time, especially not people like Wiggins that just don't live up to that standard, neither in terms of depth and complexity nor in terms of comic relief nor in terms of warmth and humanity.

Donovan - I seem to remember Moffat saying in an interview that the actress who plays Sally simply wasn't available for most of S3 due to other commitments, so I'm hoping that her personal resolution of the conflict with Sherlock in TRF has just been put off and will be shown at some point. I'd love to see those two sort it out with each other. I'm not sure how best to do it - Sally can't just go back to hating Sherlock and calling him freak, but neither do I want her to tearfully apologise and do a DI Dimmock from now on. Sally seems to have been written in a corner by this time, too - I just hope they find a creative way of getting her out of it again!

Last edited by La Jolie (August 21, 2014 10:14 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 22, 2014 7:18 am  #15

La Jolie wrote:

Mycroft - well. There's a whole world there still to be discovered. I want to see Sherlock being cleverer than Mycroft, just once. I'd like Sherlock to come to Mycroft's aid, for a change, rather than him rescuing Sherlock all the time.

I love that. I'd love to see Mycroft get into trouble big time. Possibly with his life at stake. That would of course probably mean that we'd have to have a criminal mastermind at work once again, and after Moriarty and Magnussen I think I would like to see things getting a bit smaller again. But... since Mofftiss announced what S4 will be like, I suppose it would make sense to have one of the Holmes Brothers (hm, maybe even the third one...?) in danger - and since we had Sherlock already, that would have to be Mycroft.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera