BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2014 7:21 pm  #1

Bumping, yay or nay?

Just a quick question about bumping old threads.   If I want to talk about something is the preferred action to continue an old thread, or to start a new one?  I've been doing a bit of both (sorry!) because I couldn't find the correct etiquette. 

I've seen a couple of posts (not recent) gently telling people off for starting new threads for things that have already been discussed.  On the other hand, I don't know if I should be replying to posts from 2012, however interesting. 

July 18, 2014 7:34 pm  #2

Re: Bumping, yay or nay?

Liberty wrote:

On the other hand, I don't know if I should be replying to posts from 2012, however interesting. 

Why not? Having been around here myself since February 2012 I would know most of the threads (and there are truly interesting ones!)
Newbies, of course,  can't be expected to read through everything here, but it's perfectly ok to reply to older threads as well as to create new ones. As for the latter: You can be assured that we turned every stone concerning series 1 and 2 - and there will be a thread for everything! And it's often so much fun to re-read our opinions and thoughts from two years ago. So, don't hesitate: If possible, go for the old threads and reply to them!

Last edited by tobeornot221b (July 18, 2014 8:10 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 18, 2014 8:07 pm  #3

Thank you!  I'm glad to hear it - I'm gradually catching up on old threads and there are some fantastic discussions there! 

July 18, 2014 8:14 pm  #4

Also there are threads worth being brought back to attention from time to time.
I'm often surprised and delighted 

Last edited by Harriet (July 18, 2014 8:20 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

July 18, 2014 8:32 pm  #5

I agree, you can't really do wrong, and just recently some older threads surfaced again that I hadn't read before, either. So it was quite interesting! And I also find it very interesting to see what older threads are of interest to new members.
And I'd say that if anyone starts a new thread on a topic we've already discussed in great detail, someone will just post the link to the already existing thread.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 18, 2014 9:27 pm  #6

Several threads about the same topic can be a bit confusing. And as a newbie I am always happy to discover old threads and read what people thought about a certain topic at the time when it was first discussed. Besides, I think it can be very interesting to see if our views on some questions have changed as the series progressed.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

July 19, 2014 5:09 pm  #7

To sure it is ever a telling off as such, more that someone is flagging up an existing thread on the same topic as that allows folks to jump into that one and have a look if they want.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 19, 2014 5:18 pm  #8

I see, I must have misread the intent (knowing that some forums don't like old threads to be revived).   It's such a treasure trove here!

July 22, 2014 8:34 am  #9

Even I sometimes start new threads not remembering there's already one out there from ages ago. It's hard to keep track, but wherever possible, I do prefer to post on old threads and revive them rather than have more than one of the same thing.

If I do discover there's more than one topic discussing the same thing, I'll generally merge them.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera