BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2014 8:02 am  #1

True of false: Are you a good lier?

Tell us something about yourself (you could be lying) & we have to guess if it is true or false.

For example: I am a food seperatist. I scoop out my cream firsr & then I drink my coffee or hot chocolate. I have the same fruits and vegetables found in salad but I consume them grouped and side by side.

True or false?

July 18, 2014 5:51 pm  #2

Re: True of false: Are you a good lier?

I'm a terrible liar and pretty bad at spotting lies too!  I was playing this sort of game with somebody a while ago and failed miserably. 

Anyway, I would say that this is possibly an unusual choice for a lie, because you've picked something which is quite specific and also quite plausible (and I think I actually like the idea of the salad vegetables being separate ).  For me, it's probably not the sort of thing I would think to say, unless I actually did it!   On the other hand, I'm thrown because I don't know if it's possible to scoop cream out of coffee, unless it's Irish coffee or whipped cream. 

I'm going to go for .... True!

Almost forgot ...

I used to play the clarinet in my school orchestra.  True or false? 

Last edited by Liberty (July 18, 2014 5:54 pm)

July 18, 2014 5:57 pm  #3

I've always been a terrible liar. Mostly because I was afraid of it... my mother could always tell when I was lying and it always made me all nervous when I had to lie... I've gotten a lot better and as I've evolved my acting skills it has become an easier task...

As for you Liberty, for the sake of it I'm going to go for true!

I lay my head to rest on a Hello Kitty pillow every night at the age of 24. True or false? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 19, 2014 5:24 pm  #4

Mine was false. I wish I could play the clarinet!  Although I did play in the school orchestra.

Hello Kitty pillow: my instinct tells me, "true"!  Because ... why not?  But then I think ... every night?  What if you go away somewhere?  What if the pillow is being washed and dried? And I can't answer "true" to everything!   So I'm going to say  ... False!

July 19, 2014 5:47 pm  #5

I was once stopped and then picked up by a cop in a car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 19, 2014 6:08 pm  #6

As I don't know you, it's rather guessing, right?
I'm a pretty good liar, at least people tell me this. But I hate lying, so I don't do it very often and only when circumstances request it (e.g. denying that a secret birthday party is being plannend :D )

I eat my food seperately too, so I'm pretty sure that's true. Sounds plausible.
Hello kitty pillow... could be true, and that would be cool, because I don't believe in "act your age"... it's boring. Also people like to share silly secrets with the world, so I'd guess that more people would tell the truth in this thread than create a lie. But as far as instincts go, I don't think your Hello Kitty pillow is true (sorry if it is!^^)
Picked up by a cop - yeah, why not. But I say no, because I don't know any cops who would do that ;)

I don't know what (not) to lie about myself. I like drowning paperbacks in the bath.

Last edited by Whisky (July 19, 2014 6:11 pm)

"It is what it is."

July 19, 2014 10:46 pm  #7

Whisky wrote:

. I like drowning paperbacks in the bath.

I want it to be true.

July 20, 2014 7:27 am  #8

I don't, cos it's book abuse. Ha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 20, 2014 4:59 pm  #9

One of my oldest and dearest friends and mentors was named after one of the Holmes brothers.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

July 21, 2014 6:56 am  #10

Oh, that's an interesting one.  Because if they were named Sherlock, then people wouldn't be likely to describe them as named after the brothers.  So it would have to be Mycroft.   Although it could be "Holmes", I suppose, but then I'd think they (I don't like to assume it's a man) were named after Sherlock rather than named after one of the brothers.  Or a middle name (do they have middle names?). 

Babies do get named after literary characters.   If you were a big Sherlock Holmes fan and wanted to choose a male name for your child, I could see Sherlock as being too obvious.   John is too common, which leaves you with Mycroft. 

Children get given worse names than Mycroft, so I'm going to go with "true". 

And I just noticed yours, Besleybean.  I'm going to say "true" because it's a common thing to happen.   It could even be a neighbour who is a cop giving you a lift. 

OK, I'm just answering that everything's true.  You're all making me realise how gullible I am .

July 21, 2014 7:46 am  #11

Honestly, I an the most gullible person in the world.
I believe everything I am told.
For mine, I had stupidly walked home alone, late after a dance.
A policeman saw me keep looking nervously behind me, so stopped  and offered me a lift home!

Last edited by besleybean (July 21, 2014 2:38 pm)

July 21, 2014 1:53 pm  #12

Well, mine is true and Liberty is correct that it's Mycroft. He has a sister named Shirley and is convinced his parents got that from Sherlock although they denied it till their dying day. Anyway, he's the loveliest, sweetest, and most generous human being on the planet and just Mycroft. It's no weirder than having friends named John.

Mary

July 21, 2014 3:27 pm  #13

It's fun to read here

besleybean, probably cops outside bigger cities do things like that. Never happened to me. It's very kind. So I was wrong

Liberty, WHY do you want it to be true that I drown my poor books? :D But, you're lucky: I really do.
I love books though. It's not that I want to destroy them. It started with a romance novel that had red coloured pages (not the whole pages, just outside on the edges - I don't know what it's called, with old books it's sometimes gold colour)... and I accidently dropped the book while reading in the bath. The red colour spread all over the pages and after drying it had a pretty cool "used" look with fluffy pages, a smell of bath soap and the red colour spreading everywhere It felt like "art", very special and fascinating.
I only drown books that I love dearly. It's like a ritual, a rite-de-passage, making the book truly mine. Have dropped four or five books into the bath so far - on purpose. (and one or two accidently...) I won't part with them ever. With english paperbacks, you shouldn't drop the spine into the water though - the glue isn't really water resistent So it's more like page-dipping with these. Do I sound crazy? :D
I also decorate my favourite books with decopatch to make them unique

Still curious about the hello-kitty pillow...

Last edited by Whisky (July 21, 2014 3:32 pm)

"It is what it is."

July 21, 2014 7:54 pm  #14

I shouldn't want books to be drowned ... but I'm a bath reader, and worry about getting the slightest bit of wet on books, so I loved the idea of wilfully drowning them!  It sounds even better now you describe it. 

It's so nice that you met a helpful cop, Besleybean.  I've also been picked up by helpful cops when I was hitchhiking! 

I wish I knew your real life Mycroft, Mary .

July 21, 2014 8:20 pm  #15

Liberty wrote:

I wish I knew your real life Mycroft, Mary .

My father died some years ago and I met Mycroft about a year later through the niche I blog about. He's been like a surrogate dad to me. My own family hasn't been particularly kind to me, so I feel blessed to have gathered many friends like him around me.

Mary

April 21, 2015 11:28 pm  #16

I will not mention the fact that you are talking about drowning books.

True or False? I have posters of Moriarty quotes all over my walls.

"Anderson, don’t talk out loud. You lower the IQ of the entire street.”-Sherlock
“Yes, thank you for your input.”-Sherlock
“Shut up everybody, shut up! Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe, I’m trying to think. Anderson, face the other way, you’re putting me off.”-Sherlock

August 15, 2023 9:06 am  #17

In our time, it’s probably right to say or you are a good actor))

Board footera