BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2014 5:33 pm  #381

Re: The Imitation Game

I didn't know him either. In my country I was tought that mainly Poles were the ones who have deciphered the Enigma. But I think it's good that because you like an actor and you are interested in his roles it makes you learning  new things and developing your knowledge. I think it's very positive aspect of being a fan

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 23, 2014 5:33 pm  #382

I did. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 23, 2014 6:37 pm  #383

I knew he was a mathematician and one of first computer scientists. I learned about Turing machine and Turing test. But I knew nothing about his personal life, except the fact that he died when he was middle-aged. I haven't read his biography yet, they didn't have it in the library. But I'll get it

Marta, works of Polich mathematicians (Różewski, Zygalski, Rejewski) were crucial in breaking the code of Enigma. After this, cryptologists worked on deciphering the messages for years, improving methods to shorten the time of decoding (very important during the war) and finding new ones because the machine had been modified. Alan Turing was one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

June 23, 2014 6:45 pm  #384

Hey, Marta, if I remember correctly, you said that you are mathematician right? Have you learnt about Turing and Turing's test during your study or was it just your personal interest? I mean I've read somewhere that on the math studies Turing machine is in studies program and I wonder if it's true.

Last edited by MartaSt (June 23, 2014 6:50 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 23, 2014 7:38 pm  #385

I know that I know nothing, and I love the fact that I can broaden my horizon by being a fan of a British actor I didn't even know existed 18 months ago. Sometimes you find knowledge in the most weird places.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 23, 2014 7:39 pm  #386

SolarSystem wrote:

I know that I know nothing, and I love the fact that I can broaden my horizon by being a fan of a British actor I didn't even know existed 18 months ago. Sometimes you find knowledge in the most weird places.

And that's the beauty of it

"

June 23, 2014 8:03 pm  #387

I'm graduating. Just one exam in a couple of days and you can call me a mathematician
I have learned about computer science and algorithms so yes, about a Turing machine, too. It's a theoretical model and my course's purpose was to give us an idea what computer scientists' job was.
Turing test was only mentioned as the AI is still more science-fiction than reality. I've read a lot about it when Cleverbot was created and it was said that it almost passed the Turing test. 

Oh yes, Solar. I read a lot about WikiLeaks after The Fifth Estate. Before I watched it, I knew something from the news but wasn't really interested in the topic. Broaden horizons with Benedict Cumberbatch.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 23, 2014 8:06 pm  #388

Wow, Marta, keeping fingers crossed for your last exam. 

And it is truly amazing how many books I have read just because of this man. 
P.S. Just counted 13, ACD excluded, but I think I forgot some. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 23, 2014 8:09 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2014 8:09 pm  #389

SusiGo wrote:

And it is truly amazing how many books I have read just because of this man. 

Me too. And how much I've improved my English skills - also counts

"

June 23, 2014 8:18 pm  #390

SolarSystem wrote:

That's exactly what I can say. Apart from the fact that Benedict came into my life, I mean that I became really aware of him, just 9 months ago.
Brilliant that it was him and not an actor who just does boring mainstream stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 23, 2014 8:20 pm  #391

I just ordered the August issue of Empire:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41360

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 26, 2014 5:57 pm  #392

I think you can be justifiably called a mathematician without an exam. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 27, 2014 7:09 am  #393

July 1, 2014 5:43 pm  #394

This seems to be quite lovely - a book-length comic about Alan Turing. Not very practical to read on screen but the first 20 pages were really good:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/06/the-imitation-game-jim-ottaviani-leland-purvis

July 11, 2014 3:57 pm  #395

Andrew Hodges' book about Alan Turing is finally in my hands  I've already read about a half of it and expect to finish it in few days - it's so interesting! I finally fully understand how Enigma worked and how the mathematicians were able to break the cyphers. The author explains everything in such a good way. And Alan Turing is a unique person, I can't wait to see Benedict playing him! 

EDIT
Finished. I'm so happy Benedict is in that film because otherwise I might have never read it. I don't read many biographies but this one was definately worth reading and it has nothing to do with Benedict.

Last edited by Marta (July 16, 2014 6:22 pm)

July 21, 2014 6:40 am  #396

So the official TIG Twitter is teasing at a trailer release if it gets enough RT!!!

July 21, 2014 6:58 am  #397

Done. 

July 21, 2014 10:45 am  #398

Darn it! I've deregistered from Twitter!
I'm debating whether to rejoin now so I can RT!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

July 21, 2014 11:55 am  #399

TRAILER!
TRAILER!
TRAILER!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 21, 2014 11:56 am  #400

I actually read this as they are ready to release a trailer they just want to get us worked up even more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera