BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2014 10:56 am  #1

Hallo

.... from Germany! Happy to meet you all!

I see that i am not the only one from Germany coming here lately after our television show the third series. 

I really liked Sherlock from the first season, loved the main character, loved the chemistry between him and Dr. Watson, lost a bit of interset between the series, hated Moriarty-character with passion (sorry), till i watched the first episode once again and remarked how wonderful Freeman acts as Watson. In all other Sherlock productions outthere (i have not see all), i hated Watson with passion, i found him very boring, i even didn't liked too much him in the books... So it took Freeman and the BBC wonderful scrips to show me that is more depth in Watson and not just a cartoon. 

As the waiting for the fourth series will seem to me soo long, i cannot wait to chat about speculations. Mary, Moriarty, third brother, hey, lots to chat, isn't it? 

July 11, 2014 11:01 am  #2

Re: Hallo

Very nicely put! Warm welcome here and enjoy! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

July 11, 2014 11:09 am  #3

I must say I don't like Moriarty much either. He's my least favourite character on the show. I couldn't even really say why. Is it a bad thing that I thought Magnussen was more interesting to me than Moriarty?

July 11, 2014 11:30 am  #4

Welcome to the forum! 
There is a lot to talk about, indeed. I love Moriarty very much, but I'm not sure I would want to have him back. There are lots of directions they could take with the Special and S4, so enjoy all the speculations! 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 11, 2014 11:46 am  #5

TeeJay wrote:

Is it a bad thing that I thought Magnussen was more interesting to me than Moriarty?

No, why? It's matter of taste imo. I think they both are very interesting and also very different kind of villains. But for me they both also are and should stay dead.

Well, too much off topic ...

Er ... and of course ... Willkommen, A lovely light!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2014 4:25 pm  #6

Hi there;)

A warm welcome send from one german to a nother

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

July 11, 2014 9:05 pm  #7

Thank you for the warm welcome!

TeeJay, i also like more Magnussen as a villain than Moriartry. Somehow i don't like when baddies are shown so over-the.top. I coudn't buy it that he is so smart and clever.

Gently and SolarSystem, i hope too that both stay dead and not return. Just because it looks like a mockery when someone supposed to be dead is alive once again. Like in Dallas.It looks cheap and like the writers have no idea left. 

Draconia, nice to meet you! New here as well, i see 

July 11, 2014 9:15 pm  #8

Welcome, A lovely light (is your name from Edna St Vincent Millay?). Hope you will have a good time here.  

As for Moriarty - I like him as a character and Andrew is excellent but I never felt anything like love for him. For me Magnussen is a worthy successor and I would prefer them both to stay dead. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 11, 2014 9:52 pm  #9

Oh my gosh, Susi, I'm not the only one who thought of Millay!     Loved her stuff.  But yes, very nice name, whether it's a nod to that or nod, and welcome!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 11, 2014 10:28 pm  #10

Yey, SusiGo and Russell, it is indeed from The first fig. Love that poem! So much said in such a nutshell....

July 12, 2014 5:13 pm  #11

Hallo und Willkommen!!

I´m from Germany too and relatively new here and there are so many threads to explore and so many subjects to read about, you will surely have a lot of fun here!!

July 13, 2014 5:10 pm  #12

Germansherlockfan wrote:

Hallo und Willkommen!!

I´m from Germany too and relatively new here and there are so many threads to explore and so many subjects to read about, you will surely have a lot of fun here!!

Oh yeah, i have it already! Thank you for welcoming me.

July 13, 2014 9:01 pm  #13

Welcome to the forum 
I liked Watson from the books and stories but I wasn't a fan of any portrayal in films, even Jude Law's. And there was BBC Sherlock - like you said, wonderful scripts and excellent acting and suddenly I'm in love with John Watson, as I'm in love with Sherlock, Mycroft, Lestrade and basically any other character  
Nice to meet you, A lovely light! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

July 14, 2014 6:25 am  #14

Welcome to the forum, Lovely Light.

I completely share your thoughts about past and present Watsons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 14, 2014 6:03 pm  #15

A lovely light wrote:

Yey, SusiGo and Russell, it is indeed from The first fig. Love that poem! So much said in such a nutshell....

Cool!   So do I… my favorite of hers.  Just neat coincidence… I only know about her thanks to chance as well!  Not as famous, but certainly a favorite thanks to her descriptive language  (the rain 'knocking' at the door, and the sky pressing down on her also come to mind) 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 14, 2014 8:03 pm  #16

Willkommen! Hallo and welcome to the forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 15, 2014 8:08 pm  #17

I have just read that appaerently a lot of you don't seem to like Moriarty and don't want him to be back o.O but why....?
I am desperate for him to be back, for various reasons:
1. Andrew Scott's performance was one of the best that I have ever seen (even though he quite abandoned the ACD canon character.
2. Moriarty is not just the best villain of the Sherlock-universe but also in all of pop-culture, I mean he as a twisted mirror image of Sherlock showing him the possibilities of insanity
3. He is one of the few who on an intellectual level are equal with Sherlock thus their duells are quite dramatic and Sherlock cannot be assured of his succes
4. I really was disapointed by the other villains in S3, I mean the terror cell and the character of Moran were wasted (hope they are going to reuse him somehow), the guy who tried to kill John's former Colonel (I think) was just out to revenge his brother; so a quite understandable motive and CAM didn't strike me as dangerous as he appeared ( I mean as he said he was a business man and really it is Mary's own fault that she was a killer someday).
So I stop my rambling now before I get stoned :D

Last edited by BakerStreetIrregulars (July 15, 2014 8:10 pm)

Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain. You need me or you're nothing. Because we're just alike, you and I, except you're boring. You're on the side of the angels.

Board footera