BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2014 10:27 am  #61

Re: Possible "dark twists" in S4

Schmiezi wrote:

For me, a real dark twist would be to make John choose between saving Sherlock or Mary in some way. John would choose Sherlock, and Mary would die, and John would not forgive himself even though it has been his choice.

Oh yes, that seems very imaginable to me. And I wonder how Sherlock could manage it to put him back on track then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 7, 2014 12:25 pm  #62

SolarSystem wrote:

stoertebeker wrote:

I don't want to keep her forever in the show. I want our boys back together in Baker Street too. But I hope that Moftiss will manage to bring the lovely Mary back, the one we liked and loved. And then at the end of series 4 she might do something selfless, maybe saving John's and/or Sherlock's life by sacrificing her own. She'll die in John's arms and we all will be sitting in front of our TVs, crying for loosing her .

Sounds a bit like Disney to me... 
Seriously, if Mofftiss really manage to convincingly turn her into lovely Mary again (although to me she never really felt all that lovely to start with, but that's another story) and explain her actions in a way that makes sense and that makes us understand why she did what she did - then chapeau. Just sacrificing herself certainly won't be enough though, a lot of explaining has to be done. And to be honest: At this point I'm not really all that interested in lots of explanations and background that revolve around Mary. If they can deal with that in one episode, fine. The rest of the time we get should  mostly be about Sherlock and John.

I like Disney .
No seriously. Yes, my idea may sound a bit cliché and cheesy. And we know it's very unlikely for Moftiss to do something cheesy, isn't it ?
I was just a bit horrified by the "I want John to shoot Mary" thing. There is so much hatred against Mary going on (I don't necessarily mean this forum but on Tumblr and in fan fictions). To me this is very disturbing because IMO the character does not deserve such a harsh judgement. Mary did something wrong, something we might not be able to understand and as I said, I am not happy with her developement but I just don't think she is an evil character. Maybe she was once, but she changed, she wanted a normal life and yes she did something wrong and acted selfish to protect her happiness (maybe because she never really learned how to act differently, maybe because she has some kind of sociopathic tendencys herself). But again that does not make her evil.
Am I really the only one who wants to give Mary a second chance?

Last edited by stoertebeker (July 7, 2014 12:28 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 7, 2014 1:18 pm  #63

stoertebeker wrote:

[
Am I really the only one who wants to give Mary a second chance?

Definitely not. I totally agree with you that Mary deserves second chances. She is not evil, she is nothing like Moriarty or Magnussen and yet many people hate her just because she she lied to John and shot Sherlock. I know that things she has done were wrong and I don't approve them but on the other hand I understand her. She just wanted to have normal, happy life with her husband. She knew that if she tell John about her past he will be hurt and maybe leave her. It will make them both upset because she loved John and John loved her. So she lied, and I think that is what most people would do. It was a little bit selfish, I admit, but I can't blame her for that. Most people in this world just want to be happy.

About shooting Sherlock - I don't approve it but I believe her that she didn't want to kill Sherlock. I think she didn't come to Sherlock for help because of her past - she was special agent, she probably usually worked alone and deal with her problems only by herself. She was not familiar with asking for help. And when she was dealing with Magnussen and Sherlock came, she just act like her agent instinct told her. It's hard to get rid of your habits when you relied on them your whole life.

So I really don't approve what Mary has done but I'm trying to understand her. I still like her and want to see what will happen to my favourite trio in the future 

And agree, dark twist like John has to choose between Mary or Sherlock, or Mary sacrificing herself for John or Sherlock will be definitely heartbreaking 

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

July 7, 2014 1:26 pm  #64

I don't want to get into a discussion about Mary again, so just this: I'm not sure she deserves a second chance, because even after everything that happened because of her, she did not once say "I'm sorry, I made a mistake". When she's in 221B with John and Sherlock, instead of saying she's sorry that she shot Sherlock, she defends herself by saying that because of people like CAM there are people like her. Well. I don't see her regretting anything she's done, and in order to deserve a second chance she at least should show some remorse.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 7, 2014 1:37 pm  #65

I second that. Not a bit of regrets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 7, 2014 2:08 pm  #66

Thank you Marta. Well, Mary is a very divisive character and you are right Solar, this might not be the thread to discuss her all over again.

So back to the topic. From the story references Nakahara told in her initial post I like the idea of the "The Crooked Man". I would very much like to see a John-focused story. IMO we still don't know much about John's past and a story about John's military background could be very interessting (preferably with some flashbacks, I like seeing John in "soldier-mode" ;-) ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 7, 2014 4:17 pm  #67

I would love to find out more about John's background.  We know so little about him before he met Sherlock.

I also want him shirtless at least once so we can see his scar.

*paddles back to the shallow end of the pool*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 8, 2014 6:58 pm  #68

tonnaree wrote:

I would love to find out more about John's background.  We know so little about him before he met Sherlock.

I also want him shirtless at least once so we can see his scar.

*paddles back to the shallow end of the pool*

Somehow I don't think you are one to spend much time at the shallow end of any pool ...

I would like to hear more about the incident that let to John being shot, not only (but also) because seeing John shirtless sounds like a good idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 8, 2014 7:24 pm  #69

...but it says "dark twists", not "shirtless twists", Schmiezi...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 8, 2014 7:40 pm  #70

A dark twist would be if neither Sherlock nor John will be shirtless ...

Nooo, I cannot think of that. Way too dark.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 8, 2014 8:53 pm  #71

dark twist : John kills Sherlock, Lestrade kills Molly and Mycroft, Mrs Hudson dies from a heart attack and Wiggins live in 221B with Mary

just kidding...

I'm gooooone

July 8, 2014 9:52 pm  #72

SolarSystem wrote:

...but it says "dark twists", not "shirtless twists", Schmiezi...!

I'm greedy. Can't we have both?

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 9, 2014 5:06 am  #73

Hm, tonnaree, let me think...

...and the answer is: YES!

July 9, 2014 12:51 pm  #74

How about John and Sherlock trapped in a steam bath...........................ok.
I should quit while I'm ahead.
*goes back to corner*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 9, 2014 7:15 pm  #75

It could get dark in the steam bath, and they somehow end up tangled up while trying to navigate in the darkness.

There you go - dark twist.

July 9, 2014 7:19 pm  #76

Side of Angels wrote:

It could get dark in the steam bath, and they somehow end up tangled up while trying to navigate in the darkness.

There you go - dark twist.

Perfect!

July 9, 2014 7:37 pm  #77

Not saying another word.
Nope.
*bites lip*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 9, 2014 9:52 pm  #78

SolarSystem wrote:

I don't want to get into a discussion about Mary again, so just this: I'm not sure she deserves a second chance, because even after everything that happened because of her, she did not once say "I'm sorry, I made a mistake". When she's in 221B with John and Sherlock, instead of saying she's sorry that she shot Sherlock, she defends herself by saying that because of people like CAM there are people like her. Well. I don't see her regretting anything she's done, and in order to deserve a second chance she at least should show some remorse.

If it wasn't for Mary's having shot Sherlock, I could think of ways she could be "redeemed," or her past not as bad as it sounded, like...someone planted a false background either to trap CAM or for some other reason.

July 10, 2014 4:02 pm  #79

It was just a slight blip...shooting Sherlock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2014 5:54 pm  #80

I think that an episode seen from Mycroft's POV would be fascinating.  We suspect that he is far more deeply implicated in events than alluded to in the recent season.  We have seen these characters from both John's and Sherlock's POVs so Mycroft's could reveal much including the reasons for his fear for Sherlock---"I worry about him constantly" "Your loss would break my heart".

Season 3 left a lot of loose ends; a flashback episode to the period between Sherlock's re-admission to the hospital and Christmas at the Holmes' could fill in a lot of plot holes:

~How much did Mycroft know about Mary's history?
~What's his deal with Moriarty?
~Why did Mycroft take his secure laptop to Christmas dinner?
~Did anyone read the AGRA files?
~Why did John reconcile with Mary--who wrote his "prepared words"?
~Who is the "other one"?

Board footera