BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2012 1:59 pm  #1

Lessing and Sherlock

Something – and I didn't know what it was - about the solar system /primary school stuff scene has been sounding so familiar with me over the past months – but it was not until today (I was comfortably sitting in the sun on my balcony together with DI Leo Wechsler - hi, SusiGo!) that the penny finally dropped.

Sherlock apparently was G. E. Lessing's role model for his concept of genius - going by his "Hamburg Dramaturgy" from 1767.
(No, I'm kidding, of course – but the similarity is impressive!)
Here's the German original:

"Dem Genie ist es vergönnt, tausend Dinge nicht zu wissen, die jeder Schulknabe weiß; nicht der erworbene Vorrat seines Gedächtnisses, sondern das, was es aus sich selbst, aus seinem eigenen Gefühl, hervorzubringen vermag, macht seinen Reichtum aus; [Fußnote] was es gehört oder gelesen, hat es entweder wieder vergessen oder mag es weiter nicht wissen, als insofern es in seinen Kram taugt; es verstößt also, bald aus Sicherheit bald aus Stolz, bald mit bald ohne Vorsatz, so oft, so gröblich, dass wir andern guten Leute uns nicht genug darüber verwundern können; wir stehen und staunen und schlagen die Hände zusammen und rufen: 'Aber, wie hat ein so großer Mann nicht wissen können! – Wie ist es möglich, dass ihm nicht beifiel! – Überlegte er denn nicht?'
Oh, lasst uns ja schweigen; wir glauben ihn zu demütigen, und wir machen uns in seinen Augen lächerlich; alles, was wir besser wissen, als er, beweiset bloß, dass wir fleißiger zur Schule gegangen, als er; und das hatten wir leider nötig, wenn wir nicht vollkommne Dummköpfe bleiben wollten."

Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729-1781), Hamburg Dramaturgy, chapter 36, 1767.

As I couldn't find an English translation at all I tried a simple one by myself (Sorry, G.E. - won't happen again ):

"The genius isn't expected to know thousands of things every school boy does.
What makes him so special is not a matter of a good memory but that he is able to create things out of himself - based on his own feelings.
The genius decides for himself whether things that he learnt once are useful to him or may be deleted.
Sometimes he doesn't even know important things, so that we ordinary people wonder how such a great man was so ignorant.
Let's keep silent about that.
We mean to humiliate him by telling him our dismay; but we make ourselves look ridiculous in his opinion.
Yes, we may have more knowledge than the genius – but that's only proof that we were regrettably in need to learn more at school in order not to remain complete idiots."

Last edited by tobeornot221b (July 1, 2012 5:30 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2012 3:30 pm  #2

Re: Lessing and Sherlock

Oh, that's great, didn't know that text but Lessing must have been a prophet . And give my regards to Leo  . BTW, did I already mention that he has curly dark hair …?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2012 4:02 pm  #3

SusiGo wrote:

Oh, that's great, didn't know that text but Lessing must have been a prophet . And give my regards to Leo  . BTW, did I already mention that he has curly dark hair …?

Leo greets you back. But he's busy with ... legwork by now: "Wir lösen unsere Fälle nicht bei Koks oder Geigenspiel."
Yes, curly dark hair. Can picture him. Distracting...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2012 6:00 pm  #4

tobeornot221b wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Leo greets you back. But he's busy with ... legwork by now: "Wir lösen unsere Fälle nicht bei Koks oder Geigenspiel."
Yes, curly dark hair. Can picture him. Distracting...

Did I really write that? How embarrassing, but I'd completely forgotten  .

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2012 6:06 pm  #5

SusiGo wrote:

Did I really write that? How embarrassing, but I'd completely forgotten  .

p.141. You even mentioned Sherlock Holmes...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2012 6:18 pm  #6

Now, that's really interesting because I wrote the novel in 2003/2004 when my youthful Sherlock admiration was long gone. Hm, I guess my subconscious somehow knew that about six or seven years later something like this would happen. Maybe I should read the book again …

July 1, 2012 7:19 pm  #7

Amazing! I really wonder if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle read this? You can just see the reaction that John has to Sherlock's lack of knowledge of the Solar System in the ' we stand and stare and clap our hands together and cry,' ' But it's the Solar System! ' From the canon we can can see the idea of the mind a an attic and from Sherlock his mind being like a hard drive from which he deletes what is unnecessary.

Thank you so much for posting this.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 7:21 pm  #8

BTW, excellent translation, Tobe  .

July 1, 2012 7:24 pm  #9

Yes Tobe, forgot to say very good translation m'dear!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 7:30 pm  #10

Very cool find to-be..thanks for sharing and translating!  I absolutely believe this phenomenon to be true. I remember reading accounts of Einstein at Princeton, how he got lost walking on his way home. And talk about Sherlock-like: Einstein once played a violin duet with young Queen Elizabeth and he stopped mid piece to tell her she was playing too loud Must be in the genius gene pool.

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 1, 2012 7:42 pm  #11

Thanks Susi and Davina...
Lessing isn't that easy to understand at times - even in German.
I think ACD shamelessly nicked him!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 5, 2012 11:28 pm  #12

Nice find.

I love this part because now it actually gives me a good excuse not to remember things. Like if someone tells me something and then I've completely forgotten about it the next time it's mentioned and they're like "how did you forget? I only told you yesterday" I just reply "It's not important" or "I deleted it" or "I only remember the important things" etc.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera