BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2014 3:07 am  #1

Fun Question About British Titles and Same-Sex Marriage

It's my understanding that a woman who marries a man in Britian who receives a knighthood has the title "Lady." Agatha Christie's archeologist husband was knighted; she was "Lady Mallowan," and then later she was given the female version in her own right (Dame Agatha.)

So, if Sherlock received a knighthood (Doyle-canon, he actually refuses one, but it does get talked about in BBC), and married, say, Molly or Janine, one of the would be "Lady Holmes."

But I also hear the Britain is going to legalize same-sex marriage, if they haven't already.

So what if Sherlock married John? Or the reverse, what if John got the knighthood, for service to the country or something, and then they got married? 

Which actually raises the question about the husbands of women with the Dame title. 

July 6, 2014 11:58 am  #2

Re: Fun Question About British Titles and Same-Sex Marriage

Lol, well in my understanding, they both would be called Sir from there on,
Or am I wrong?
Lord Holmes/Watson Knight of the british empire/kingdom

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

July 6, 2014 3:02 pm  #3

Re: Fun Question About British Titles and Same-Sex Marriage

As far as I know, a Dame's husband wouldn't become "Sir", so I don't think a knight's husband would either at the moment.  The system is a bit behind the times .

Board footera