BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 1:04 pm  #81

Re: Too many references?

I watched it with my hubby. he didn´t get all but enjoyed it anyway. I think they managed to keep the line between "just for fans" and " for everyone and fans should respect it".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 15, 2014 2:10 pm  #82

I watched SotT with my friend who loves BBC Sherlock but is not a fan, and she had really enjoyed TEH and was eager to see more.

Last edited by Harriet (January 15, 2014 2:14 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 15, 2014 3:00 pm  #83

Wholocked wrote:

Can we please get this thread back on topic now?

I've been addressed by several people here, even though I have asked for comments to be messaged to me rather than take a topic offline which I personally hate in any forum. I would just like to ask if those people who have addressed me/accused me of things feel that way, please message me and allow me a right of reply. I am only too happy to do so.
If not I will take it that you just had steam to blow off.
Thanks

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 15, 2014 3:47 pm  #84

So after reading the comments of Mattlocked, Pav, Mrs.W and Harriet it is safe to say that there were not too many references in the episode. I wonder why we as fans worry so much about it when "ordinary" viewers don't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 15, 2014 3:51 pm  #85

Schmiezi, are you feeling unsafe with different opinion? that would make us sorry. we care about "ordinary" watchers and their reception because of our friends/family while watching together. /and we are fangirling far too much and try to explain why

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 15, 2014 4:01 pm  #86

Oh no, sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

I am just a bit annoyed because there is so much negativity around regarding Series 3. And when I see people critizising it on the behalf of the "ordinary" non-hardcore fan watchers I get the feeling that some people exaggerate their criticisms.

It's understandable when people criticise things they don't like, but assuming what other people might criticise and then complain about it seems over the top to me.

(Okay, I am very annoyed about all the negativity around, but that is off topic here.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 15, 2014 4:37 pm  #87

Hubby - an (quite extra-) ordinary audience - said Sherlock is no matter what they do still 10 times better than average TV 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 15, 2014 4:47 pm  #88

You've got a good one there, Harriet!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2014 4:49 pm  #89

My 14-year-old son who is no fanboy and never visits tumblr and has never read Canon AND watched it with me in English liked all three episodes. So much for the "ordinary" viewers. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2014 4:58 pm  #90

I just looked up my son's facebook messenger after TSoT, an episode I didn't actually expect him to like.
Of course, he had watched series 1 and 2 several times - but he isn't familiar with fandom, canon and other stuff.
At 1.30 am he wrote: "Fantastic episode, Mama!". And at 5.44 pm: "It was really good!".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 15, 2014 6:11 pm  #91

you both have great sons 

January 20, 2014 9:30 pm  #92

I personally enjoyed the winks to us, especially the line about the shirt, and the two "kisses." IMO the second near-kiss was just there because of the first one, as if everyone's theory had to involve Sherlock making out with someone.

It's so rare that a show-runner cares what the fans think or say. Everyone involved in the show seems to be genuinely grateful for the attention and adoration fans are demonstrating. I'll admit to some good-natured fist-shaking in Moffat's general direction during the episode (I WANT MY EXPLANATION, DARN IT), but I recognize the show is great in large part because of him.

In general my attitude is sit back, relax, suspend disbelief, and enjoy my favorite favorite favorite show ever

January 20, 2014 9:40 pm  #93

Merry wrote:

I personally enjoyed the winks to us, especially the line about the shirt, and the two "kisses." IMO the second near-kiss was just there because of the first one, as if everyone's theory had to involve Sherlock making out with someone.

It's so rare that a show-runner cares what the fans think or say. Everyone involved in the show seems to be genuinely grateful for the attention and adoration fans are demonstrating. I'll admit to some good-natured fist-shaking in Moffat's general direction during the episode (I WANT MY EXPLANATION, DARN IT), but I recognize the show is great in large part because of him.

In general my attitude is sit back, relax, suspend disbelief, and enjoy my favorite favorite favorite show ever

*high five*

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 20, 2014 11:03 pm  #94

In general, I am okay with The Empty Hearse. However, if the next two episodes are anything like it, I'll steal all the prop umbrellas.

January 21, 2014 2:24 am  #95

MahnSherlolly03 wrote:

In general, I am okay with The Empty Hearse. However, if the next two episodes are anything like it, I'll steal all the prop umbrellas.

I can guarantee you that the next two episodes are nothing like it.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 21, 2014 6:51 am  #96

And indeed are hugely better!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 29, 2014 1:12 pm  #97

As i have been referred to this topic I take the freedom to reply even though i am "Johnny-come-lately" here. 

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

My point is though, even if you HAVE seen every single other episode of Sherlock but aren't part of the fandom...it's too much.

i can reply to this. A friend of mine has seen all the previous episodes but he is not involved in any kind of fandom. Let me say first that he utterly loved season 3 (maybe more than i did) but he didn't get many things! I had a LOT of explaining to do. Funniest thing was that he didn't even know Anderson! I had to explain to him who he is, he really though that he is entirely NEW character (yeah, i know, not really paying attention i guess) 
Having said this, he did enjoy the show nonetheless. I guess that the "regular" viewers of that TV show can enjoy it but they miss out a lot of the subtle things, obviously. Yet it seems to work nonetheless. 

June 30, 2014 2:01 pm  #98

another latecomer...

I think it's safe to say that TEH wouldn't be first choice if you had to pick an episode - no matter who chose, fan or casual viewer.
I got the feeling, that here on the forum many very active fans didn't like episode 1 as much as the others. Or at least there was more potential for critical response... I joined here only after series 2, but I think the focus was so much on the Reichenbach episode that critical response for series 2 fell short. Now that we don't have something similar like the fall, maybe people take more time to consider the episodes in detail. Also the expectations were incredibly high and hard to meet.

To me, the fan service in TEH felt like a slightly desperate attempt to meet expectations and not to disappoint. Maybe with tongue in cheek, but still. Problem I had with this: I want to keep the fine line between what's in my head (shipping and stuff) and what appears in the show. When I say I would like to see this and that, then only half of it is what I actually need to see - the other half is fantasy that, if I am very honest, I would prefer to stay only fantasy.
That's why I didn't like the Molly/Sherlock and Moriarty/Sherlock scene until it was revealed that it's only in Mollys/ Mrs. Hudsons imagination... which I thought was cleverly done, and made it perfectly okay for me because it was there with a background. friend of mine without any fandom-contact said: "ohhh, that's the housekeeper imagining they have a relationship? the one who also said they only need one bedroom?" ...she understood that part perfectly well, although she doesn't know anything about shipping. same with molly, same with the "fan club"... the media attention in TRF hints at a fanbase, there must be more kitty rileys, and any viewer who has seen the first two series won't have a problem understanding series 3, imo. I don't know about casual viewers, but I have to agree - to jump into a series somewhere in the middle and to expect everything will be easily understood... hmmm, no. if they like it, or even only parts of it, they can easily provide background with watching the other episodes.

Personally, I fell in love with series 1 and 2 without any effort... for series 3, it took patience and lots of re-watching until I could fully appreciate it and with TEH I never quite succeded. I got the impression others went on the same journey.
Friends of mine, who patiently waited for series 3, but haven't been much (or not at all) involved in fandom, had similar feelings for TEH.The main points that they disliked were: the focus shift from crime story to relationships, the disjointed pieces all over the episode, the change of "atmosphere" compared to series 1+2. the fan-service was not even really recognized as such. Obviously, only active fans will recognize it for what it is and catch all the hints.

So I think, maybe TEH is indeed not the best episode, even if it has great moments and dialogue. I don't think the huge fan service is the main reason. Even without it, I probably wouldn't like the episode much better. (I do like it, of course... but it's the only episode where I skip parts when re-watching, which wouldn't be necessary if it was as captivating as the others, imo)

"It is what it is."

June 30, 2014 6:59 pm  #99

...but still, I like TEH much more than TSoT...

Board footera