BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2014 6:57 am  #1

" Not sure...but possible ! " theory: The 3th Holmes in series 4...?

Well, I not like too much making theories,but yet I have one... I share this with you, because I don't read yet similar idea. Unfortunately my theory not complete and I think that silly too... But still into my head what Mycroft said on nearly end of the last episode about their 3th sibling... My idea simple: if this sibling (probably sister ) alive, then this sibling could make the odd message. Somebody told me, that the next season will appear the 3th Holmes, so I got the idea. Maybe Sherlock helped her once and the sister want to reciprocate this for him. But I don't understand then why she not was there in their parents' house? What she done , that nobody talk about her? I think so, that this is too confused. But, who knows... Eventually this idea also could be a possibility, isn't it?( Sorry for my english, I hope you can understand me! )

June 16, 2014 7:06 am  #2

Re: " Not sure...but possible ! " theory: The 3th Holmes in series 4...?

Well, I am not sure about this whole idea of a third sibling. When watching the episode for the first time my immediate understanding was that Mycroft is not talking about a sibling of his but about a person who acted out of familial sentiment. This is the actual dialogue:

SIR EDWIN: If this is some expression of familial sentiment ...
MYCROFT: Don’t be absurd. I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion.
MYCROFT: You know what happened to the other one.

I think both interpretations are possible but in canon there is not mention of a third Holmes brother as far as I know. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2014 7:29 am  #3

SusiGo, thanks for the quote! I had a suspicion, that I misunderstood something... Sure, you're right. I think the hungarian sync confused me, because in there suggests these sentences, that Mycroft talk about another sibling... This was awkward a bit. I always thinking with hungarian brain unfortunately, but I read in english and this sentences means same for me ... Nevermind. Thanks for your words!  

June 16, 2014 7:52 am  #4

Well, there are a lot of people - also native speakers - who think that there might be a third Holmes. You can understand the sentence both ways. In the German dubbing they left it ambivalent as in English. Maybe we will hear about this in series 4 (or it will remain one of the unsolved mysteries ).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2014 8:32 am  #5

Actually, I immediately thought of a third Holmes brother, probably because Mycroft talks about "brotherly compassion" here in connection with his real brother, Sherlock. My boyfriend, who only saw it in the dubbed version, afterwards also said that in his understanding it means Mycroft is talking about a third brother.
I think though that you can also interpret it in a broader sense, like you already explained, Susi. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 18, 2014 1:57 am  #6

In orginal canon, Holmes mentions that he is decended from "country squires". In the 19th century and earlier, squires would own a manor house and the land on which the town around it was situated. The squire was responsible for the management of the town.
William Baring-Gould, who wrote the Sherlock Holmes biography, speculated that there must have been a brother older than Mycroft who had inherited the family's country seat.
So the idea of a third brother (or sibling) is semi-canonical, if one wants to accept Baring-Gould's ideas as part of canon. Since Moffat and Gatiss borrowed Sherlock's full name from the Baring-Gould biography, I assume they are borrowing the idea of a third sibling also although it remains to be seen if the above quoted line leads to the addition of a new character or was simply a throw-away line.

June 27, 2014 11:28 pm  #7

I need to wach the French version again (I've only seen it once, while I've lost count of the number of times I saw the English version lol) but I remember it had stricken me that they had chosen a translation that left no other interpretation than a third brother.

If I remember well, it was "Vous savez ce qui est arrivé à notre aîné"
(you know what happened to our older brother") !!!!

Well, actually, that's also the way I understood it, and I must admit that i'd be very excited if there really were a third brother. That and what redkitten said above, about "Sherringford", I was hoping it would be part of the show at one point. So I keep my fingers crossed!

Just like old times...

June 27, 2014 11:48 pm  #8

Punch me in the face wrote:

If I remember well, it was "Vous savez ce qui est arrivé à notre aîné"

Quite obvious how they made that translation error. The translator heard 'older one' rather than 'other one.' Just goes to show what a tricky business translation is. I rarely trust translations and I am always wary of transcripts.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 30, 2014 9:55 am  #9

RedKitten wrote:

In orginal canon, Holmes mentions that he is decended from "country squires". In the 19th century and earlier, squires would own a manor house and the land on which the town around it was situated. The squire was responsible for the management of the town.
William Baring-Gould, who wrote the Sherlock Holmes biography, speculated that there must have been a brother older than Mycroft who had inherited the family's country seat.
So the idea of a third brother (or sibling) is semi-canonical, if one wants to accept Baring-Gould's ideas as part of canon. Since Moffat and Gatiss borrowed Sherlock's full name from the Baring-Gould biography, I assume they are borrowing the idea of a third sibling also although it remains to be seen if the above quoted line leads to the addition of a new character or was simply a throw-away line.

I assume the same. I think it´s a simple nod - like so many others - to Baring-Gould´s theory/biography and I doubt that the sibling (if so) plays physically a role one day.

June 30, 2014 10:36 am  #10

anjaH_alias wrote:

and I doubt that the sibling (if so) plays physically a role one day.

Same here. The way I understand it, if there really is a third brother, something terrible must have happened to him. After all, Mycroft says:
"Don't be absurd. I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. You know what happened to the other one."
So, in my headcanon because of 'brotherly compassion' some sort of harm was done to that third brother. I would think that he is dead or just 'out of the picture'.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 13, 2014 4:05 pm  #11

Miss AdlerLock wrote:

Well, I not like too much making theories,but yet I have one... I share this with you, because I don't read yet similar idea. Unfortunately my theory not complete and I think that silly too... But still into my head what Mycroft said on nearly end of the last episode about their 3th sibling... My idea simple: if this sibling (probably sister ) alive, then this sibling could make the odd message. Somebody told me, that the next season will appear the 3th Holmes, so I got the idea. Maybe Sherlock helped her once and the sister want to reciprocate this for him. But I don't understand then why she not was there in their parents' house? What she done , that nobody talk about her? I think so, that this is too confused. But, who knows... Eventually this idea also could be a possibility, isn't it?( Sorry for my english, I hope you can understand me! )

Very good twist, I like it!    However, I think the other sibling was Magnussen.  But both brothers (Mycroft and Magnussen) agreed to never to tell Sherlock for X reason.  Where do you suppose Sherlock learned about using the memory technique he calls his mind palace?  

Hang on.  The more I think on this, how fabulous would it be that Mary is the sister.  Sent to be John's Gaurdian whilst Sherlock way away.  The word gaurdian pops up as Sherlock is analzying Mary when they first meet.  Gaurdian sent by Moriarty?  By Mycroft?  Remember Mycroft refused to attend the wedding.  "don't get involved"..."remember Redbeard".  I like this twist more and more Miss Adderlock as I think about it.  Perhaps Mary was sent away before Sherlock was born.  Or old enough to remember.  If Moriarty put her there, then once Sherlock is back, she is disposable.  Also, do we really know she's pregnant?  Some women don't show for months. Curiouser and curiouser, eh Alice?

Last edited by 2old2play (July 13, 2014 10:46 pm)

July 13, 2014 4:07 pm  #12

SusiGo wrote:

Well, I am not sure about this whole idea of a third sibling. When watching the episode for the first time my immediate understanding was that Mycroft is not talking about a sibling of his but about a person who acted out of familial sentiment. This is the actual dialogue:

SIR EDWIN: If this is some expression of familial sentiment ...
MYCROFT: Don’t be absurd. I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion.
MYCROFT: You know what happened to the other one.

I think both interpretations are possible but in canon there is not mention of a third Holmes brother as far as I know. 

I believe the other brother was Magnussen...it fits nicely.  

July 13, 2014 6:44 pm  #13

Well yeah...tho makes the conversation in the office(the other one) a tad strange.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera