BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2014 12:42 pm  #181

Re: August: Osage County

Mattlocked wrote:

What was its "original meaning"? Where can I find it?

I think in old Greece a comedy wasn't funny or was it?

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

June 20, 2014 12:46 pm  #182

Ah, you mean it that way! I thought about an earlier "comedy original" of AOC! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 20, 2014 4:00 pm  #183

There is real humour...it is the whole gamete of human emotion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 21, 2016 7:42 pm  #184

I've just seen this movie, and have to say I am quite blown away. I imagined it would be some mediocre Hollywood drama. And perhaps, objectively speaking, that's what it was. But I loved it. Way more than I ever thought I would. And Ben was just a small reason for it. 

Meryl Streep is a treasure, and every movie I see her in, she just confirms whe she is considered one of the greatest actresses of all time. I have high expectations of her, and she went above and beyond was I expected. 

Actually, every single actor was amazing in this movie. I could relate  (not that my family is like this, but I could relate to details or emotions in a way I usually don't in Hollywood movies), it felt believeable and credible.

And Ben's character... omg, my heart was breaking in every scene. It was so amazing and refreshing to see him playing something different from the charismatic, intelligent and arrogant characters he often plays. Not that I mind that, of course, but I loved seeing him in something completely different - and he nailed it! He was too adorable to be real.

Amazing movie!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 21, 2016 9:17 pm  #185

Yes, Ben did an amazing job of showing this character's vulnerabilities.  I wanted to wrap him in a blanket and just hug him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 22, 2016 5:28 am  #186

He really did. As always he played it with a subtlety that I admire. The only character who was overly dramatic was Meryl Streep as the mother, bit she was supposed to be that way. And Meryl did a fantastic job as always!

It's not easy making a play into a good movie I suppose but they managed it!

Little Charles is one of my favourite characters of Bens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 22, 2016 5:44 am  #187

I can do little but agree with you.
Love this film.
Love all the performances.
Love Lil Charles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 22, 2016 1:47 pm  #188

Same here.
Meryl Streep's character is over the top, but that does not make her unrealistic.  Dramatized, sure, but the character reminds my mum and I of my grandmother on my mum's side.  She doesn't necessarily have the same problems or do the same things, but the personality is similar and the kinds of things she says can be similar.  Scary, right?
And yes, I felt so bad for Little Charles.  As sad as his part of the story could be, I wished we got to see more of the character and that's not only because Benedict plays him.

Clueing for looks.

August 22, 2016 1:57 pm  #189

Yeah, I know what you mean. Meryl's character with her older daugher reminded me a bit of me and my mum. Not that my mother is like that, of course, but I'm in that "why is it so easy to love your family, and so hard to like them?"-category, and this movie managed to get a lot of that across, I think.

I wonder if Little Charles ever learned the truth. I'm both sad and relieved we didn't get to see that, it was heartbreaking enough, the scenes we got. I loved his father, though. Such a kind person!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 22, 2016 6:45 pm  #190

Yep, both big and Lil Charles are fab.

Board footera