BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2014 10:18 am  #161

Re: August: Osage County

Sounds good to me, Harriet.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 10, 2014 10:34 am  #162

Yes, agree with you as well. I didn't see you had posted already 

Last edited by Harriet (April 10, 2014 10:35 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 3, 2014 8:38 pm  #163

I watched this film online yesterday. I liked Ben as Little Charles but I didn't like any of the other characters. The film was very dark and moving.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

May 3, 2014 8:41 pm  #164

I absolutely loved it.
Can't wait for my DVD to get here.
Definitely want to watch it with my parents.
Yes, Lil Charles is the absolute darling in that dysfunctional family.
His story is just the sweetest.
No wonder Benedict wanted the role.

Last edited by besleybean (May 3, 2014 8:42 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 19, 2014 8:15 pm  #165

Watched the DVD recently.
I didn't know anything about the story, I assumed it to be more a fun one... turned out it wasn't ;).
Shame Ben hat so few screen time... also it ended quite abrupt... Well actually, what's the difference in half-brother or cousin, if you can't have children phyiscally anyway...

Generally liked it though. But it was quite hard to follow, because everything happends in the dialogs, you need to concentrate quite much ;).

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

June 19, 2014 8:19 pm  #166

I'm pretty sure I say this every time anybody posts here.
But I cannot stress enough how much I love this film and  I wish I'd seen the play.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 19, 2014 8:58 pm  #167

It's great film. I was especially impressed by Julia's Roberts play. I think it was even better than (always perfect) Meryl Streep. Benedict was wonderful as always, scene with his dad was so full of warm and a little bit touching.

In my country this film was described as "comedy". I wonder who came up with this "brilliant" description, but he/she was obviously seeing some other film

Last edited by MartaSt (June 19, 2014 8:59 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 19, 2014 9:00 pm  #168

There were comic moments...but a lot of heart, too!

June 19, 2014 9:19 pm  #169

Agree but it was much more drama with comedy elements rather than comedy with drama elements

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 19, 2014 9:22 pm  #170

Comedy ...

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 19, 2014 9:31 pm  #171

And I've read this description before watching the film and thought that I will go to see this movie to cheer myself up And after watching it my face was like  Conclusion - better watch film first and then read the description xD

"

June 19, 2014 9:32 pm  #172

In my country it was the same.
Not just official sources but also the actors that portrayed the same roles in theatre, all propagated this movie as a comedy.
I was pretty amused and puzzled after I watched the movie itself.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 19, 2014 11:40 pm  #173

The trailers for that film could give you the impression that it was more "funny" than it was.  I think the studio was not sure how to market it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 20, 2014 5:34 am  #174

Again, I apologise if I have said this already.
Bit if I had judged that film by the trailers, I would never have gone to see it...they made it look crass.
The only decent clip I've ever seen of it, which I think may have been at an award show, was the mother-daughter chat in the car, when going to identify the body...that is one of the most moving scenes I have ever seen.
So this for me was when ONLY going to see it because of Benedict, was actually a great advantage...as well as knowing nothing about the play.

Last edited by besleybean (June 20, 2014 5:34 am)

June 20, 2014 8:14 am  #175

tonnaree wrote:

The trailers for that film could give you the impression that it was more "funny" than it was.  I think the studio was not sure how to market it.

Agree. And trailers and description tricked many people - when I was leaving the cinema after movie I saw that many viewers were puzzled and the most common comentary was "Hey, wasn't it suppose to be a comedy?"

"

June 20, 2014 10:40 am  #176

Well it's a comedy in its original meaning...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

June 20, 2014 10:48 am  #177

What was its "original meaning"? Where can I find it? 

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 20, 2014 10:48 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 20, 2014 11:19 am  #178

According to the press reviews on the book cover of the play which the film is based on it's a mixture of a family drama and some dark comedy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 20, 2014 11:22 am  #179

Very dark indeed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 20, 2014 11:57 am  #180

I can hardly see any comedy because it's too dark in there 

Board footera