BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2014 7:40 pm  #1

John Watson, says to Sherlock I'm trying to get off with Sarah

John Watson, says to Sherlock I'm trying to get off with Sarah, right as she shows up that is probably the funnniest/most awkward scene Martin Freeman ever been in, what is your take on this scene guys?

"I'm not a psychopath, Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research."

June 17, 2014 11:43 am  #2

Re: John Watson, says to Sherlock I'm trying to get off with Sarah

Yeah, it's one of those cringeworthy moments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 17, 2014 1:32 pm  #3

A Brit on Tumblr or another forum explained that that phrase does not mean in the UK what it does in America, that it's innocent and doesn't imply sex, more like develop a spark of friendly relations--not necessarily romantic.

Compare this to the the phrase 'putting up shelves' in the UK as being euphemism for having sex with someone...

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 17, 2014 2:48 pm  #4

maryagrawatson wrote:

A Brit on Tumblr or another forum explained that that phrase does not mean in the UK what it does in America, that it's innocent and doesn't imply sex, more like develop a spark of friendly relations--not necessarily romantic.

Compare this to the the phrase 'putting up shelves' in the UK as being euphemism for having sex with someone...

Mary

Well, I don't know who that was but...I can assure you as a Brit born and bred that "getting off with someone" means you're trying to date them/get them into bed.

It's definitely romantic/sexual not just friendly. John would never use that term about Sherlock for example. And if he did, Johnlockers would be in the streets celebrating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 17, 2014 3:49 pm  #5

Nice to get another perspective. I'm glad to hear this because I can laugh at that scene again!

But please don't burst my bubble about the putting up shelves phrase. Sherlock making sex jokes with Molly made my day.

Rae

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

Board footera