BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2014 11:27 pm  #1

Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' Short List Includes Benedict Cumberbatch

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/06/09/doctor-strange-benedict-cumberbatch-tom-hardy/

This could explain why Cumberbatch had paid a visit to Marvel Comics awhile back. I think he would make a great Doctor Strange as would certainly have the right look and the right voice.

June 11, 2014 6:23 am  #2

Re: Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' Short List Includes Benedict Cumberbatch

Benedict and Jerad Leto in one movie?!? Jesus, I don't think, I will be able to concentrate on anything .

As long, as the the shooting will not affect the making of series 4, I am fine with this. I love the Marvel stuff .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 11, 2014 9:47 am  #3

I think this means either Benedict or Jared Leto, but not both of them.
And we've had this a few days ago in another thread... it seems nothing is for certain yet. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 11, 2014 10:05 am  #4

If that article is to be believed, it's Tom Hardy they seem to really want.
I think Benedict would be better suited personally but that's probably just me.
I've got doubts about him being in this now - seems it could be just another rumour.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 11, 2014 11:06 am  #5

Althrough I´m a fan of movies based on comic books, I would like to see Benedict in something with more substance than this.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 11, 2014 11:17 am  #6

It's funny you should mention this, nakahara, because just the other day I said something that goes in the opposite direction to my boyfriend. I think Benedict is probably doing more movies with substance than many other actors, and once in a while I would love to see him in something that goes in a slightly different direction. And I'm not counting in something like "The Hobbit".
I'd love to see him in a clever, romantic (or not so romantic, I don't really care) comedy, because I think he would be great in a comedy and he just hasn't done enough of that.
And I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Marvel movie, although it would have to be one which doesn't take itself too seriously - like "Iron Man" or "The Avengers".

I'm sure he'll always be the man for serious, important movies, but I'm sure he can do both - movies with substance and movies with more of a fun factor.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 11, 2014 11:35 am  #7

He's one of the most versatile Actors around, imo, and it can only be good for his career every time he gets the chance to show that

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 11, 2014 11:43 am  #8

Look at how amazing he was in Star Trek and that's certainly not a "serious" movie.  But no matter what type of film he's in he's still Benedict and he brings his A game everytime.

Personally I can't wait to hear his voice work in the Peguins of Madegascar movie.  *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 11, 2014 11:43 am  #9

SolarSystem wrote:

I'd love to see him in a clever, romantic (or not so romantic, I don't really care) comedy, because I think he would be great in a comedy and he just hasn't done enough of that.
And I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Marvel movie, although it would have to be one which doesn't take itself too seriously - like "Iron Man" or "The Avengers".

I'm sure he'll always be the man for serious, important movies, but I'm sure he can do both - movies with substance and movies with more of a fun factor.

Comedy - yes! He would be superb in comedy and I would like to see him in one either.

But the roles of comic-book heroes are usually a bit flat, created by using patterns and well tried formulas and even very good actors have problems to breath more life into the by-the-numbers creations like this. Benedict´s talents would be wasted on this, I´m afraid.

It wold be like hiring Picasso or Dalí and then asking him to paint your wall green, if you know what I mean.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 11, 2014 12:12 pm  #10

I think it depends. I don't know the "Iron Man" comic, but I think that RDJ did a brilliant job and it was not just a comic book hero you've seen countless times before, imo. It always depends on the screenplay, of course, and I'm sure that Benedict would only want to be part of something like this if the screenplay and his role provided something new and interesting.

June 11, 2014 12:27 pm  #11

Yes, you are right. And Robert Downey Jr. is a good example of an actor who created something new out of comics book character.

June 11, 2014 2:28 pm  #12

But the roles of comic-book heroes are usually a bit flat, created by using patterns and well tried formulas and even very good actors have problems to breath more life into the by-the-numbers creations like this. Benedict´s talents would be wasted on this, I´m afraid.

And don't forget, Marvel has had a very good track record this last decade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 11, 2014 4:25 pm  #13

Doctor Strange isn't a two dimensional character though. There are other actors that I think would bring something special to this role but having watched a lot of Tom Hardy's work I am sure he would be wonderful. That is not to say that Benedict would not be wonderful too but don't underestimate Tom's ability to totally transform himself for a role.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera