BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2014 3:43 pm  #1

I’m not a Doctor Who fan but…

My love for “Sherlock” has made me interested in the series.

I read that Moffat did write some great episodes for the series especially during Eccleston and Tennant era. I haven’t seen ones such as “The Empty Child” or “Blink.” However, the one that I did see and recommend is “The Girl in the Fireplace.” I found it to be a really moving episode (it certainly left me misty-eyed).

I do know that Gatiss has written several as well such as “Victory of the Daleks”, “Night Terrors”, “Cold War”, and “The Unquiet Dead.” I did see one called “The Idiots Lantern”, which was a fun one.

I’m very far from being a Whovian but I will watch the show if it happens to be on. It can have it moments and I’m certainly going to be on the lookout for any episodes written by Steven or Mark.                                 

June 4, 2014 7:55 am  #2

Re: I’m not a Doctor Who fan but…

Well you can watch most of doctor who at amazon instant video if it is available in your country.

My hubby and me started watching Doctor Who a couple of weeks ago and I am totally hooked.
I liked Moffat's episodes while Russel T. Davies was the show runner. But the fifth series was not that much my favorite... Also I miss Tennant...
And yes, Mark Gatiss also wrote episodes and actually he also played in one episode as an actor ;).

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

June 8, 2014 1:27 am  #3

What zeratul said.  Although personally, I always try to check the library for stuff I just want to casually check out, too.    (although netflix has, too!)  I didn't think I'd get into it either, having come across a couple re-runs of the 'classic' series and found them strange (granted, different style of tv back then!), but the concept was always great, and when they rebooted it all polished up a decade ago, been a fan ever since.

Mark did some fun ones, but I don't usually think of them when recalling 'awesome episodes'.  Now Moffat's, on the other hand, if you're just looking to lightly browse the familiar writers… wow.  He was quite a different show-runner than the previous Russell Davies and tended to have more series-story-arcs (which is why it's trickier at times to jump into some of the recent ones).  But he had a knack for creating some of the best monsters.  Joke that thanks to him, Whovians are (amusedly) 'scared' of stone angels, the dark, creepy snowmen, weird wi-fi sources, gas masks, and marks on your hands/arms (a joke referring to the Silents creatures)

You also named one of my top five favorites….    Wasn't 'Fireplace' beautiful?  That's the kind of stand-alone story with the perfect mix of DW themes of the effects of time travel/the kind of life he leads, scary creature, production style, and companionship/adventure.  'Blink', 'Midnight', 'The Eleventh Hour', and 'The Doctor's Wife' (written by the well-known Neil Gaiman!) also knock it out of the park in that regard.

Glad you enjoyed!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 4, 2015 8:46 pm  #4

Well I like him!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2015 10:51 pm  #5

I think he's great. I only started watching last season. I adored 'Listen' and 'Last Christmas', both written by Moffat. 

January 5, 2015 11:48 am  #6

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera