BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2014 5:05 pm  #261

Re: The Imitation Game

besleybean wrote:

Does he really have such a bad rep with journalists?

I think some journalists think he is posh because he prefers to talk about his job as an actor and not about his private life and himself. It has to be annoying for him ( I think most of people would be annoyed in situations like this) so I don't get it why they prefer to insult him instead of trying to understand.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 6, 2014 5:22 pm  #262

Those who've taken the time to have a proper conversation with him actually seem to like him.
A lot of them have an agenda against him though, for numerous reasons that would drag the thread too far off topic if I listed them here, and probably not helped by the fact that he's been so vocal in his criticism of them, either!!!
Anyway, back on topic, the main thing is that this will hopefully be the Movie that perfectly showcases his talents!

Last edited by Tinks (June 6, 2014 5:23 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 6, 2014 5:32 pm  #263

Tinks wrote:

instead of Cumberbatch the internet sensation, or the Posh, quirky guy who doesn't like journalists!!!

He doesn't like journalists? Shit. I guess I should never tell him over a red wine what I do for a living...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 6, 2014 5:36 pm  #264

I think this is a bit generalised. Maybe he does not like journalists who keep asking the same silly questions about Cumberbitches and otters and do not listen to anything interesting he has to say about his work. And then there is of course the boring old story about his public school education which some people use as a reason to hate him. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 6, 2014 5:45 pm  #265

SolarSystem wrote:

Tinks wrote:

instead of Cumberbatch the internet sensation, or the Posh, quirky guy who doesn't like journalists!!!

He doesn't like journalists? Shit. I guess I should never tell him over a red wine what I do for a living...

Solar, I'm sure he'd love you
I meant he'd been vocal of those who paint an untrue picture of his background or what he's said.
*** off to stand in the corner until I've learnt not to generalise in my posts****

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 6, 2014 5:45 pm  #266

To be honest, I guess that most actors (or 'famous' people in general) aren't particularly keen on journalists. I'm sure most of them don't really enjoy talking to journalists, but it's part of the job and they have to do it, so they do it. And I'm also pretty sure that a lot of journalists don't do a very good job... they don't prepare before an interview and don't even try to come up with interesting and somewhat challenging or unusual questions. I'm sure Benedict enjoys talking to journalists when they give him something to work with, something that keeps not just the audience entertained but also himself.

Tinks...
I'm sure he'd love all of us, journalists or not!

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 6, 2014 5:46 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 6, 2014 5:46 pm  #267

SusiGo wrote:

I think this is a bit generalised. Maybe he does not like journalists who keep asking the same silly questions about Cumberbitches and otters and do not listen to anything interesting he has to say about his work. And then there is of course the boring old story about his public school education which some people use as a reason to hate him

As Sherlock has taught us, people are idiots.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 6, 2014 5:48 pm  #268

He did some amazing interviews like the GQ one. I think the outcome really depends on the preparation and care and intelligence of the journalist. He knows that he needs media coverage but this does not mean he has to accept every sort of silliness or worse. 

Oh - it seems we have gone way OT here. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 6, 2014 5:52 pm  #269

Sorry - that was my fault :/
I didn't mean to insult your profession, though Solar - sorry my dear

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 6, 2014 5:57 pm  #270

No worry. I joined in. Interesting topic. Maybe we can continue this somewhere else (although I hope there will be not too much bashing).  

June 6, 2014 6:07 pm  #271

Ladies, don't you worry about 'my profession'. This is not the only thing I do for a living, and like I already said: I am well aware that not every journalist is a good journalist. Some of the promotional interviews he did for STID or The Hobbit were just awful...! And those badly prepared journalists who ask silly questions don't even seem to be aware how much harm they are doing... they don't exactly make it easy for colleagues who want to do an interview with him in the future. 

But yes, OT.... we can continue somewhere else anytime.

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 6, 2014 6:07 pm)

June 6, 2014 6:53 pm  #272

Topic?!?!

I think that The Imitation Game is going to be an amazing movie and that Benedict Cumberbatch might well get an Oscar nomination out of it.

That better? 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 6, 2014 7:34 pm  #273

tonnaree wrote:

Topic?!?!

I think that The Imitation Game is going to be an amazing movie and that Benedict Cumberbatch might well get an Oscar nomination out of it.

That better? 

That's the spirit 

And in the topic - I think it's brilliant that there will be a movie about this great but I think little forgotten person.  I only hope that  they will mention the role of Polish people in deciphering the enigma because most people don't know that they have played big part in this history  (I hope it doesn't sound too proud, if yes -sorry xD )

Last edited by MartaSt (June 6, 2014 7:35 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 6, 2014 8:05 pm  #274

maryagrawatson wrote:

Tinks wrote:

He looks great doesn't he?
In the other still it looks like they're arresting a murderer! It's almost too awful to think about what he was put through - I'm really going to struggle with this Movie, I think

You need to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpSwP1XapTI

(Benedict reading one of Turing's letters. If it doesn't tear out your heart, you don't have one!)

Mary

That was lovely Mary.  Thank you for sharing.

June 7, 2014 8:57 am  #275

Today is the 60th anniversary of Alan Turing's death. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 7, 2014 9:05 am)

June 7, 2014 9:52 am  #276

He should have lived much longer.
Brilliant man.
Sad life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2014 10:15 am  #277

*raises glass* - again

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 7, 2014 11:05 am  #278

SusiGo wrote:

Today is the 60th anniversary of Alan Turing's death. 

How old was he when he died?

Such a crime against humanity.  

And sadly there are still places today where being gay is a crime.  Will we ever progress past this insanity?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 7, 2014 11:17 am  #279

Saw it was the anniversary of Alan's death today, felt very sad. That it's the day after the celebrations and commemorations of D-Day and the sacrifice those soldiers made - that Alan's passing should go unnoticed by TV networks is a tragedy.

We all (rightly) remember those who fought but the masses wrongly forget to remember those who helped behind the scenes. Plus of course the tragedy of his premature death - not from war. But from ignorance.

Everyone had their freedom. But for all he did, he didn't. So sad.

I'm clueing for looks

June 7, 2014 11:18 am  #280

Sadly it still is in my country (illegal to be homosexual), and I don't see any potential positive changes in the near future. Guess it takes time, and media plays a powerful role in changing people's perception. Hopefully this movie leaves a deep impact on everyone. 

Board footera