BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2014 11:52 am  #441

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

Swanpride wrote:

If we only have a look at the first two episodes, I see a lot of evidence that there is something going on with Mary - but none that she might not love John, or that she is not supportive of Sherlock, quite the opposite in fact.

To be honest, even in the first two episodes I had the feeling that something wasn't quite right with Mary, because she just was too good to be true for my taste. She was so positive and so understanding and funny and witty... which is all good and fine, if not even: a bit boring. But at the same time to me it also signaled that it or rather: she wasn't meant to stay that way.
So what we got in HLV was just a logical development after TEH and TSoT - although I didn't really expect them to go with an ex-assassin-thing, and my first reaction to it was Oh please, really...?

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 10, 2014 11:53 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 10, 2014 4:14 pm  #442

SolarSystem wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

If we only have a look at the first two episodes, I see a lot of evidence that there is something going on with Mary - but none that she might not love John, or that she is not supportive of Sherlock, quite the opposite in fact.

To be honest, even in the first two episodes I had the feeling that something wasn't quite right with Mary, because she just was too good to be true for my taste. She was so positive and so understanding and funny and witty... which is all good and fine, if not even: a bit boring. But at the same time to me it also signaled that it or rather: she wasn't meant to stay that way.
So what we got in HLV was just a logical development after TEH and TSoT - although I didn't really expect them to go with an ex-assassin-thing, and my first reaction to it was Oh please, really...?

Quite so; she was such an obvious Mary Sue character that it stuck out like a sore thumb because Moftiss don't write Mary Sues.

I loathe redemptive character arcs; they have been done over, and over, and over again and getting something fresh or interesting out of them is hugely difficult, particularly since, by definition, it would remove the spotlight from Sherlock.

Sherlock is called Sherlock for a reason

March 10, 2014 5:20 pm  #443

Swanpride wrote:

Sherlock has a redemptive character arc, too.

Using the term 'redemptive' implies that someone has done something really, really bad; right up until the moment Sherlock killed CAM Sherlock had not done something really, really bad, and thus Seasons 1-3 cannot accurately be described as a redemptive character arc.

March 10, 2014 5:48 pm  #444

I would actually contest that definition of redemptive...
I don't think it has to be something really bad.
It can just mean an obligation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 10, 2014 6:13 pm  #445

besleybean wrote:

I would actually contest that definition of redemptive...
I don't think it has to be something really bad.
It can just mean an obligation.

Well, redemptive is an adjective and obligation is a noun, so I'm having some difficulties in working out exactly what you mean. 

Redemptive is almost always used in a quasi religious sense; it's tied into Christian thought and in particular the notion of sacrificing oneself for the good of others, thought to be embodied in the crucifixion.

One can redeem an object of value from the pawnbroker, but it is highly improbable that someone would regard or describe that as a redemptive act; on the other hand, Sherlock's willingness to take on the mission to Eastern Europe which he expects to result in his death can accurately be described as a redemptive act since the good of others is best maintained in a society where people take responsibility for their actions...

March 10, 2014 6:48 pm  #446

I don't think Sherlock has a redemptive arc ..he starts out as pretty much a blank slate in ASIP..and John kinda becomes his guide starting with the bit not good? question and culminating in the John Watson always puts me right. comment.

Personally as a cynical pessimist I don't believe a leopard can change it's spots and also dislike the redemptive arc with Mary...but maybe karma will punish Mary for her crimes where Sherlock/society hasn't.

However as part of the wider making Sherlock a good man ...it's likely letting go of bad stuff and not falling into bitterness and hate...is something relevant and wider reaching like most of the points they make...@individuals@society@countries@the world.

Sherlocks redemption/teaching Mary how to choose morally right from wrong began almost instantly I thought..with showing her to tell the trutth to John..tell the truth and shame the devil..his parents marriage..as John noted..and a right way to go about dealing with / killing Magnusson.
well if there is a good way or a good reason to kill someone..it was Sherlocks way imo.
Likely though as always with Sherlock the motives will be complex and many but mainly based in his kind of logic.
Of course with Mofftiss the dark humour bar stewards..its possible Sherlock and John have offered Mary the side of the angels cocktail....and she won't drink it.

Last edited by lil (March 10, 2014 6:59 pm)

March 10, 2014 7:11 pm  #447

Lil

I agree; we are watching, along with Lestrade, the process by which Sherlock becomes a good man, and not just a great man, and Moftiss are not going down the well trodden primrose path of saying that Sherlock was a bad man who becomes good because people love him, or he loves them.

He can strive not to let it drag him down, and that is what I think the writers are showing us; there was immense potential for bitterness and regret over his failure to believe what his mind told him about Mary, and yet he didn't go that way.

And as Oscar Wilde noted, forgiving ones enemies really annoys them

March 10, 2014 7:40 pm  #448

Swanpride wrote:

Sherlock certainly does have an arc which is designed to determine if he will be a great man or a good man. It is hinted more than once that he had a shaky past, for multiple reasons (drugs being the most obvious one).

I'm not pointing this out to defend Mary. But it is an interesting parallel. When Sherlock meet John he had apparently just managed to turn his life around, and meeting John helped him to stay on this path. John's blog gave him fame, and John's friendship gave him an understanding for sentiment.

When Mary meet John, she had already started her new life with a new identity, doing her best to leave her past behind her. And John's love and understanding as well as Sherlock's forgiveness and sacrifice gave her the chance to be Mary Watson instead of A.G.RA.

Lestrade already accepts that Sherlock is a great man; his question is whether Sherlock will someday become a good one as well, but at no point does Lestrade suggest that Sherlock has been an actively bad man. There is a difference between passive and active; the only thing we know of Sherlock's past is that he took drugs. Taking drugs is not a criminal offence; killing people is.

John's blog did not give Sherlock fame; Sherlock's abilities brought him fame because John blogged about it but, oddly enough, many people don't want fame. Sherlock doesn't; it's boring. Sherlock really isn't interested; he wants stuff which stimulates the mind, and whatever else can be said about interacting with journalists, mental stimulation isn't high on the list.

As for leaving her life behind her, Mary had either retained her gun or acquired one on the black market. Someone who has left her past life behind her doesn't risk a mandatory five year prison sentence for possession of a hand gun without a licence, and Sherlock did not trust her with his drugged parents and brother, which gives us some indication of what he thinks about her...

March 10, 2014 9:27 pm  #449

Sorry, but I really cannot accept placing Sherlock on the same level with Mary. This is utterly against everything SH stands for and has always stood for. With all due respect to your wish to defend Mary but this is just wrong. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 10, 2014 9:51 pm  #450

About that (Mary's)  gun: it's a Sig P232, which actually does point to a past career as US CIA, possibly wetork, because of the silencer/suppessor. It's often a gun used in Lw Enforcement in the US, but if she went rogue (which she did according to the series) that might be why she even had the silencer in the first  place. 

I also think that she could care less about redemption of any kind-- after all, she took that gun (and silencer) with her to Leinster Gardens , not with the intention of negotiating with Sherlock--obviously! 

Also, keep in mind that she beleives she is justified in her kills, "People like Magnussen are the reason for people like me". 

That's not someone who wants to tread the straight and narrow. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (March 10, 2014 9:57 pm)

March 10, 2014 10:42 pm  #451

Swanpride wrote:

For Sherlock is the same true as for Mary: We don't know exactly what they did and why they did it. For example Sherlock has changed from someone who apparently had no idea how to handle a weapon (or at least had utterly disregard to gun safety) to someone who uses it expertly...we assume that Magnussen was his first kill, but we don't know.

I'm not sure how expert you have to be shoot someone at short range; you are making assumptions without any evidence to support them. Our Sherlock may not have peppered the wall with a patriotic VR, but then Victoria is no longer Regina.

I do find it very strange that people seem to think that slagging off Sherlock seems, in some mysterious fashion, to turn Mary into a tragically misunderstood figure.

We know very little about Mary; we know that she is an exceptionally skillful liar, that she kills people for money because she thinks people deserve to be killed, that she shot and came very close to killing Sherlock, that she threatened him in hospital after she shot him, that after that she hunted him across London with a loaded gun, and that she tells John that if he knew who she was he would stop loving her.

Swanpride wrote:

It's entirely possible that she went on a more or less legit undercover mission which went badly wrong

Mary acquired her new identity 5 years earlier; what sort of legit undercover mission involves a CIA operative stealing the identity of a dead baby in England? I would have thought that the CIA could manage something rather better planned than that. And it is not entirely possible; it completely contradicts what she says to John...

March 10, 2014 10:45 pm  #452

Swanpride wrote:

Actually Magnussen says something along the line that it seems like she "freelanced"...meaning either he wasn't sure about it, or he can make it look like she did. It's entirely possible that she went on a more or less legit undercover mission which went badly wrong. And I am pretty sure that she had a silencer beforehand too...I doubt that any operative would work without one.

So, why would she tell John that the information on the flashdrive A.G.R.A.-- would send her to prison for the rest of her life? If it's just a mirror of Sholto's situation, why couldn't she just come clean? Sholto not only took the responsibilty for his actions, but also shouldered the blame-- even though he didn't deserve to be scapegoated as he was. 

Sherlock takes responibilty for killing Magnussen; and shields John from being implicated, by making sure that he does it in front of a lot of witnesses. And he submits to punishment for the crime. 

All I see Mary doing is lying and running, and hiding, and harming anyone that threatens her cover, it just doesn't say to me that she was *ever* on the side of the angels. 

March 10, 2014 11:57 pm  #453

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

Actually Magnussen says something along the line that it seems like she "freelanced"...meaning either he wasn't sure about it, or he can make it look like she did. It's entirely possible that she went on a more or less legit undercover mission which went badly wrong. And I am pretty sure that she had a silencer beforehand too...I doubt that any operative would work without one.

So, why would she tell John that the information on the flashdrive A.G.R.A.-- would send her to prison for the rest of her life? If it's just a mirror of Sholto's situation, why couldn't she just come clean? Sholto not only took the responsibilty for his actions, but also shouldered the blame-- even though he didn't deserve to be scapegoated as he was. 

Sherlock takes responibilty for killing Magnussen; and shields John from being implicated, by making sure that he does it in front of a lot of witnesses. And he submits to punishment for the crime. 

All I see Mary doing is lying and running, and hiding, and harming anyone that threatens her cover, it just doesn't say to me that she was *ever* on the side of the angels. 

Yes: we never see Mary showing the slightest interest in the consequences of her actions beyond those which directly affect her; everything else is collateral damage which she ignores, because, as long as she has what she wants, everything's fine.

And I do feel that the test of 'what would Sherlock's loved ones think' of what she has done is a valid one since it punctures the bubble of sentiment which, at least some, fans erect around her with the old familiar mantra of 'because she loves John'' as if anything and everything can be disregarded 'because she loves John'. 

For example, Molly loves Sherlock, but she has never displayed any desire to kill John to give her a better chance of taking his place alongside Sherlock solving cases; the notion is so selfevidently ludicrous when you spell it out in black and white that it's a useful counter to all the warm and fuzzy stuff.

Mind you, following my less than stellar experience at the Royal London today I can tell you two things; the outpatients department (plastics clinic) is archetypal cruddy hospital decor, hence my not bothering to take a photo, and that the entire computer system for the entire hospital was down with no idea of when it would come back up. Thus, even after a two hour wait, there was no way to make contact with the labs, and no way to access the surgeons notes, which makes a tad difficult to do anything meaningful.

Wish me luck Wednesday morning, when I'm going back there; who knows, they may have got the computers working again, so I am still hoping that I may be on the plane to San Diego next Monday.

However, I thought that the total systems crash at the RL might be useful to you, fanfic wise, and therefore worth writing it up for you

March 11, 2014 5:35 am  #454

Swanpride wrote:

When Mary meet John, she had already started her new life with a new identity, doing her best to leave her past behind her.

I'm not convinced that's true. At this point we just don't know whether or not she really had tried to leave her past behind and start a new life. Just because she is with John (and has been with him for at least several months before Sherlock's return, and also had a boyfriend before she met John) doesn't necessarily mean that she led the life of a normal girlfriend and nurse. She could have continued to do whatever it was exactly that she was doing in the past - without anyone knowing, of course.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 11, 2014 5:50 am  #455

Willow wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

Yes: we never see Mary showing the slightest interest in the consequences of her actions beyond those which directly affect her; everything else is collateral damage which she ignores, because, as long as she has what she wants, everything's fine.

And I do feel that the test of 'what would Sherlock's loved ones think' of what she has done is a valid one since it punctures the bubble of sentiment which, at least some, fans erect around her with the old familiar mantra of 'because she loves John'' as if anything and everything can be disregarded 'because she loves John'.

For example, Molly loves Sherlock, but she has never displayed any desire to kill John to give her a better chance of taking his place alongside Sherlock solving cases; the notion is so selfevidently ludicrous when you spell it out in black and white that it's a useful counter to all the warm and fuzzy stuff.

Mind you, following my less than stellar experience at the Royal London today I can tell you two things; the outpatients department (plastics clinic) is archetypal cruddy hospital decor, hence my not bothering to take a photo, and that the entire computer system for the entire hospital was down with no idea of when it would come back up. Thus, even after a two hour wait, there was no way to make contact with the labs, and no way to access the surgeons notes, which makes a tad difficult to do anything meaningful.

Wish me luck Wednesday morning, when I'm going back there; who knows, they may have got the computers working again, so I am still hoping that I may be on the plane to San Diego next Monday.

However, I thought that the total systems crash at the RL might be useful to you, fanfic wise, and therefore worth writing it up for you

Good luck!!! You folks have got me writin' up a storm, so thank you!!

June 3, 2014 4:58 am  #456

I just found this on tumblr and think it is quite convincing. It really seems Mary was ready to shoot Sherlock a second time... so much for remorse...

http://cumberswag.tumblr.com/post/87652349610/cantpronounce-bloggerjohn221b-jaradel

June 3, 2014 6:42 am  #457

I agree. Although I think this is actually the third situation in which she is ready to kill him. 

She was prepared to kill him at the office (and, yes, she did not go for the head, we had all this before, but still).
Then she threatened him in his hospital room. Imagine he had been fully conscious and refused to keep quiet about all this to John - what do you think would she have done? Fiddled with the taps? The oxygen?
So this here is actually the third time she is prepared to kill Sherlock. 

(And I must say I really cannot believe Amanda's interviews about Mary being redeemed and all that). 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2014 7:50 am  #458

Indeed, you could say it was the third time she was ready to kill Sherlock. And Sherlock knows this, he's not stupid. He honestly can't forgive her, not even for John's sake... and John can't forgive her, either. Unless of course... Sherlock and John both know something about Mary that the audience doesn't know yet. But to be honest, I'm not really interested in a big reveal about Mary in S4 that all of a sudden makes us all go "Oh, right, she had good reason to do what she did...!".

June 3, 2014 1:05 pm  #459

It wasn't like Sherlock wasn't threatening himself in that scene. Bringing Mary to an empty house, the story of him gambling with a female cannibal, placing her face on the house, and the whole place was really isolated so who wouldn't believe someone was planning something devious? To Mary, she thought Sherlock was going to kill her or something. It wasn't actually a very cordial meeting. 

Mary cocks her weapon in an attempt to tell Sherlock she is ready for anything he was going to try on her. She didn't expect John to be there or Sherlock actually tricking her into telling John who and what she really is. 

June 4, 2014 8:21 am  #460

Please remember that before she had not only shot Sherlock but threatened him in the hospital while he was utterly helpless.
And her "There is nothing in this world that I would not do to stop that happening" only comes after she has recognised Sherlock. She thinks she is alone with him and the dummy. 

I can only repeat - had they wanted us to like Mary and to forgive her, they would have done it differently. Or they failed spectacularly. 

Board footera