BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2014 10:29 am  #241

Re: Letters Live

Loved reading your account, TeeJay

And that picture is so cool Clare, I also have a feeling that you will get another chance someday!

I adored those new videos, the one with Lou was cracking me up so much, I love how he assumes the writers of those letters
The American had a bit of a Khan feel to me... and I can't say I complain!

He is such a talented man

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 2, 2014 1:12 pm  #242

And here is the letter of photographer Richard Avedon to his father:

http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/87535456589/benedict-cumberbatch-reads-a-letter-from-richard

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 2, 2014 7:16 pm  #243

clareiow wrote:

Hi guys..... I'm still alive but only just!! So I have no photo, no audio or video of what happened, sadly.

But this is what happened.....

Ok so me and Bex and a lady from twitter called Chrissie were hanging around when Bex suddenly saw Benedict and Louise just walking through, no-one taking notice, no security. Ben waved and said hello to a little toddler running past and then someone asked for a photo and he said he couldn't stop.

They were with a guy called James Byng as well. They walked past us and towards the Tata tent rear entrance which is down a corridor...I stood at the end with my sketchbook in hand and couldn't move, just watching from afar. Then, suddenly they start walking back.

They're literally right in front of me and Bex is a way behind me. Just as they're about to pass (Benedict is chatting with loo at this point) I smile at James, James smiles back and I just thought, if I don't ask now I'm done for. So, I say: "Benedict would you look at my drawing?"

He looks back sort of saying he can't stop, but then he does a double take as he sees my drawing and his eyes widen and goes: "Wow" ..Then he looks at me right in the eyes and says "it's fantastic".

Then he says he has to go with an apologetic wave and i just crumble...

While I'm crying into Bex's arms, he then apparently turned again, looked at me and then looked at Chrissie and gave a thumbs up, she said she was convinced it was for me.

I'm still shaking, I'm still in dreamland. His eyes are so much paler in real life and they pierce through to your soul. He's also much more freckly in real life and his skin is flawless.

Should also mention I got a hug off Loo when she saw my drawing earlier in the day, and yesterday Bex and I met James Rhodes and had our picture taken with him!!!

All in all, 11 letters read by Benedict, meeting Benedict, Loo, James, and time with friends..... I'd say that was perfection!!!!

Such an amazing experience!  I am so happy for you!!

June 3, 2014 7:02 am  #244

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2014 7:31 am  #245

I don't think im going to be able to listen to that one for a while. I was in floods

I'm clueing for looks

June 3, 2014 8:31 am  #246

Wow. Like I said before, he was born to act.
Even with some of the audio drowned out by background noise, his rendition of that letter stopped me in my tracks.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 3, 2014 12:55 pm  #247

Finally got round to reading all the accounts of the lovely people who went to Hay to see and hear Benedict. Thanks so much for the photos and the video footage!
So happy for you all, must have been so wonderful to see Ben live on stage (same goes for seeing Loo Brealey)!
And to Clare: just wow!

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

June 3, 2014 1:13 pm  #248

Alone is what I have. Alone protects me.

June 3, 2014 3:58 pm  #249

Aw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 3, 2014 4:17 pm  #250

How they read this letter exchange!!! 
Watched it on YouTube.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 3, 2014 4:25 pm  #251

Them skipping together was so cute

And I'm fully enjoying watching and listening to him reading these... I do have a tear in my eye now, oh gosh! 

He really cares for what he reads I feel. You gotta love him for that

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 3, 2014 4:28 pm  #252

He is ACTING these letters. That's absolutely amazing!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 3, 2014 4:29 pm  #253

He is nothing but professional.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 4, 2014 11:13 am  #254

Here is a video from the reading with Lisa Dwan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbl7ydgZGcA

June 4, 2014 12:53 pm  #255

Very beautiful accounts, girls, I congratulate you to your good time at Hay Festival. TeeJay, your photographs are amazing, that one where Ben loks directly into your camera positively stops human heart.  And Clare, you are my hero - if I saw BC a few steps from me I wouldn´t be able to speak at all, I would probably just stand there mutely like a fish. Perfect, that you were able to show him your picture! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 4, 2014 1:11 pm  #256

Thanks Nakahara, I'm very flattered!

I still don't know how I managed it, I still can't believe it happened. Every night's sleep since has featured the whole scene, and I'm thinking now - I wonder if he thought of it and of me later that day. I was the only one there with art, so hopefully it stuck in his mind (for the right reasons).

Me and Bex were saying that when he looked back the final time and have us the thumbs up, he must have felt happy to see us hugging in joy. That must have given him a nice feeling....sigh

I'm clueing for looks

June 4, 2014 1:22 pm  #257

Well, your drawings are perfect, so I believe he really appreciated your art.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 4, 2014 2:52 pm  #258

Why thank you sweetie! Xx

I'm clueing for looks

June 8, 2014 4:26 pm  #259

So, here we are a week on and I still have a post- Hay glow.  Finally finished writing up my experience and am feeling thoroughly inspired to write letters.  I have some people I want to write to but I was wondering whether anyone on the forum wanted to try and start some kind of letter writing thing.  No idea how it would work, figured would need to see if anyone was interested first.  Just wonder whether it's worth trying, in this age where letter writing is a dying art and history is no longer being recorded in e same way.  Not that we would be writing anything majority historical, but you never know!!!

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the idea out there, see what people think.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

June 8, 2014 5:01 pm  #260

You mean to each other?

Board footera