BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2014 12:34 pm  #161

Re: 12 Years a Slave

SusiGo wrote:

Davina: In Germany from age 12.

Oh! Didn't know that. IMO that's too young.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 30, 2014 12:53 pm  #162

It is a strange thing in Germany. IMO violence is rated far more generously than sex. I remember watching the Columbus film with Depardieu ages ago. I was shocked that it was rated age 12 as it is extremely brutal. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 30, 2014 2:55 pm  #163

Just read some of your reviews, and I am very intrigued.
A friend of mine saw the film yesterday, she loved it, but she said it was truly hard to watch and she cried several times throughout the film.

I still want to see it, will be bringing tissues though.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

January 30, 2014 3:14 pm  #164

SusiGo wrote:

It is a strange thing in Germany. IMO violence is rated far more generously than sex. I remember watching the Columbus film with Depardieu ages ago. I was shocked that it was rated age 12 as it is extremely brutal. 

Susi, this is very true in America also.  A big peeve of mine.  Violence will be give a much softer rating than sex.  And don't even get me started about the fact that you can have female nudity all over a movie and still get an R rating but male nudity will get you an NC17.  Such a huge double standard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 30, 2014 5:02 pm  #165

Shame is an NC17 in the US then!! 

Hunger is also an awesome film, especially as a first feature by a director.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 30, 2014 5:16 pm  #166

Since I'm way above 18, I've stopped paying attention to movie ratings, but even as a German, it surprises me that the movie got a 12+ rating here. I mean, not only was there the very graphic violence, there was also nudity and pretty suggestive sex scenes.

Why do they even still bother cutting things out of movies like the gazillionth version of SAW?

January 30, 2014 5:26 pm  #167

We sat waiting to see it.
The certificate came up:  extreme violence, rape, full frontal nudity and racist language...
I turned to my pal and said: wow, that's some night out!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 30, 2014 8:16 pm  #168

LOL  BB!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 2, 2014 6:42 pm  #169

Mod's note: I have taken the liberty to delete some posts as they took a direction that seemed inappropriate and had no connection with the film discussed in this thread. I am sorry that some other posts had to be deleted as well just because they had quotes in them. I hope you will understand this measure. It was not an easy decision for me and has not been taken carelessly. Thank you. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 2, 2014 6:49 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 2, 2014 7:23 pm  #170

We trust our mods to make those judgement calls.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 7, 2014 5:59 pm  #171

I have finally gotten the chance to watch this.

I was in tears throughout the movie, I felt sick at some scenes even... I felt a shame over my own skincolour even... to think you feel you have a right to treat a group of people differently for what they look like. 

My mother has always been very racist and judging of others who weren't the same as her... I grew up thinking the same ways until I began seeing the truth. I hate my past. 

This is a very important film, today as well. This is something that should never be forgotten

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 8, 2014 12:14 am  #172

I understand Phantom.   I was born in the deep southern United States where the worst of these atrocities occured and I also felt shame watching the film.

But we are not responsible for the actions of our ancestors.  Our only responsibility is to grow and learn from their failings.  To be better.

I was lucky and even in the deep south I grew up in a house without bigotry. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 8, 2014 7:28 am  #173

Yep.
Racism was an alien concept to me, but at an early age my parents explained to me that some people were racist.

Last edited by besleybean (June 8, 2014 9:52 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 8, 2014 8:08 am  #174

tonnaree wrote:

I understand Phantom.   I was born in the deep southern United States where the worst of these atrocities occured and I also felt shame watching the film.

But we are not responsible for the actions of our ancestors.  Our only responsibility is to grow and learn from their failings.  To be better.

I was lucky and even in the deep south I grew up in a house without bigotry. 

Well said, tonnaree. Absolutely agree. 

June 11, 2014 3:57 pm  #175

Although I saw the film at the cinema I have just bought the DVD. When I am feeling in the right frame of mind I shall watch it again. It is such an important film. Sadly, fascism is alive and well in the UK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2014 4:35 pm  #176

Oh yeah, but people who know this, don't need to watch it again!
I don't think I could.

July 21, 2017 12:14 pm  #177

I just saw this movie for the first time yesterday. I thought I wouldn't react so much to the content of the movie, seeing as I grew up with North and South (one of my all-time favorite series!). 

But to my surprise, I was moved in a way I thought I never would be by this movie. Maybe because I've gotten older? I don't know. Superb acting all around! It devastates me that there existed people with that kind of world view, and that they felt entitled to treat black people in such a manner. And it wasn't even that long ago!

Benedict was great as always. I read through this thread and saw someone mentioning how they wanted Ben to play a real bad baddie .Well, this is the closest he's come for me - towards the end, when he didn't want to hear about Solomon saying he was a free man, I felt disgusted. Which was something new, I've never felt that level of pure disgust towards any of Ben's characters before.

I like that, btw. I like that Ben dares to play characters that are actually quite unlikable, and won't always go for the heroic and cool just because he's everyone's heartthrob.

I was shocked when it was revealed at the end that it was based on a book, that it had happened! I didn't know that. That made it ten times more horryfing.

Amazing movie, well-deserved Oscar winner.

Edit: Oh, and I was confused by the last scene between Solomon and Ford as well. Why did Ford carry a rifle? He was the plantation owner, meaning the direct boss of the overseer. Why couldn't he simply tell the overseer that Solomon was not to be treated badly, and that any future misdemeanor should be reported to him before any punishment were dished out, for instance. I didnt' get that. Didn't he sit with the ultimate power and say?

Last edited by Vhanja (July 21, 2017 12:16 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera