BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2014 4:49 pm  #21

Re: Benedict and Internet Fame

I'm trying to say, in a very rambling way, that I wish he would say no sometimes

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 26, 2014 5:38 pm  #22

besleybean wrote:

I'm just selfish and prefer it when he's in this country!

I'm an American and prefer to see Benedict in roles where he portrays British characters.  If he were to agree to a limited series US TV role, I would still rather he be British.  Jonny Lee Miller is able to retain his Britishness while starring in a season-long US series---in fact the final several episodes of Elementary featured a number of British actors including Rhys Ifans.

Currently, I'm watching Turn which stars jamie Bell. This series highlights the first American spies during the Revolutionary War.  Much of the cast is British.  When people complain about the accents, I tell them to turn on the captions---including for episodes of Sherlock.

I wonder if Benedict's management is guiding him more toward films and declining roles in miniseries.  I understand that Sherlock is on-going, but his work in Parade's End was amazing and I think the longer form gives him more time to create a character. 

May 26, 2014 5:55 pm  #23

I completely agree, JN.
I'm not sure if it's his management steering him, or his decision to have a go at Movies.
"Turn" sounds great

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 27, 2014 7:13 am  #24

Tinks wrote:

I think it's a double edged sword, though - I honestly understand the various reasons behind some of the stuff he's doing this year, but I'm beginning to think there's too much of it.
It might not even be the case that there are no offers - I mean he has two very exciting projects lined up for next year, and who knows what else he might be in talks for.
But all the public appearance stuff this year is giving people the idea that he has no work - and I can't thnk that's a good idea. I really don't want people accusing him of being famous just for being famous, you know? He's better than that.
I'm sure his publicists know their stuff, but sometimes I do wonder...

I understand what you mean.
It´s not just the people getting an idea that Benedict has no work, it´s also the danger of the public being fed up with his too numerous appereances on public events. If you open up your fridge and Benedict Cumberbatch falls out of it because he is suddenly everywhere, it´s a risk that you start to feel annoyed with him (if you are not a devoted fan of him, of course).
But on the other hand, it´s good that he gets attention by appearing as a presenter on various events. There are actors who try to achieve the same thing by being involved in juicy tabloid scandals or abusing substances. Benedict´s way is much better.
And does he really decline the roles in mini-series because he doesn´t want to be involved in them? Or was it just a coincidence and he declined them in belief that he will be involved in other projects soon (which were then delayed)?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 27, 2014 12:20 pm  #25

I don't see Ben as being over exposed.  You've got to remember that 90 precentof the population does not keep as close an eye on his movements as we do!    I would dare say no one else in my office is aware of the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch was in Monaco this weekend. 

And I'm not too worried about his career.  I agree with what has been said here many times.  I'd rather see him in small important roles than big cheap easy roles just for a paycheck.  Ben is a very smart man and I believe he has smart people around him.  He's enjoyed an incredible year of good work and professional recgonition.  He's also enjoying life to the fullest.

Relax ladies, he's got this. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 27, 2014 1:21 pm  #26

nakahara wrote:

There are actors who try to achieve the same thing by being involved in juicy tabloid scandals or abusing substances. Benedict´s way is much better.
And does he really decline the roles in mini-series because he doesn´t want to be involved in them? Or was it just a coincidence and he declined them in belief that he will be involved in other projects soon (which were then delayed)?

Good point, nakahara. Thank goodness he isn't in the tabloids for the wrong reasons.

His publicity team has got their work cut out for them handling such a big name and it's a tricky thing to remain relevant and not overstaying one's welcome. 

Like some have mentioned, I'd love to see Ben in another miniseries and not just big time movies. Parade's End was phenomenal. I wished he'd do more of that. At least Richard III is something to look forward to.  

May 28, 2014 5:26 am  #27

I think he's a mass of contradictions anyway in respect to the publicity thing!
He seems to genuinely uncomfortable with all the attention, and to hate the intrusion by the paps, etc., you can see it in his body language (I've read some horrible things recently about the lengths fans will go to, to track him down and get pics and stuff, too!)
But then again, I'll sometimes stumble across an interview with him somewhere online, where he's said something that an intelligent guy like him must know is going to, at the very least, set the internet alight!
So I do wonder if he plays a clever game, keeping his name out there while he continues to try to break into Movies properly.
Seems we are all agreed that we'd be happy to see him return his focus to the smaller screen though, and I'm convinced that's what he'll end up doing.... It certainly seems to be working for Martin at the moment.

Last edited by Tinks (May 28, 2014 5:28 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 28, 2014 12:55 pm  #28

Movie, television, theater, Jaguer commercials (  ) I think Benedict cares way more about the content than the media.  I trust whatever decisions he chooses to make.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 28, 2014 6:20 pm  #29

Me too.  In both his career and his life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 28, 2014 8:11 pm  #30

Allow me to be a bit selfish here for  moment -  he could have filmed a  couple of episodes of Sherlock in the time it has taken him to globe trot the world over these past months.  I realize Moffit and Gattis don't have a script yet, and who knows what Martin is up to - but still.  When the scripts for Sherlock are finally ready, who's to say if Ben will be available? I realize he needs time off, but like others I am left to wonder when his next paying job is going to be.
On another note, I think Benedict will carve out a roll for himself as one of the great British actors like patrick Stewart, Daniel day Lewis, Alex Guinness and the like, rather than a Hollywood heavy weight like brad Pitt, Tom cruise, or will Smith.

May 29, 2014 2:34 am  #31

kaye wrote:

Allow me to be a bit selfish here for moment - he could have filmed a couple of episodes of Sherlock in the time it has taken him to globe trot the world over these past months. I realize Moffit and Gattis don't have a script yet, and who knows what Martin is up to - but still. When the scripts for Sherlock are finally ready, who's to say if Ben will be available? I realize he needs time off, but like others I am left to wonder when his next paying job is going to be.
On another note, I think Benedict will carve out a roll for himself as one of the great British actors like patrick Stewart, Daniel day Lewis, Alex Guinness and the like, rather than a Hollywood heavy weight like brad Pitt, Tom cruise, or will Smith.

All of the parties involved have said they love Sherlock and enjoy doing it.  All have said they want to do Series 4.  It's only been 4 months since S3 aired, the blink of an eye in Sherlock time.  Let's not all panic yet.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 29, 2014 3:27 am  #32

I think he's handled himself beautifully so far.     And I agree there's
no real reason to think there won't be a Series 4.    We just have to wait.

nakahara wrote:

If you open up your fridge and Benedict Cumberbatch falls out of it because he is suddenly everywhere, ...

...not a problem here.    

May 29, 2014 6:28 am  #33

kaye wrote:

Allow me to be a bit selfish here for  moment -  he could have filmed a  couple of episodes of Sherlock in the time it has taken him to globe trot the world over these past months.  I realize Moffit and Gattis don't have a script yet, and who knows what Martin is up to - but still.  When the scripts for Sherlock are finally ready, who's to say if Ben will be available? I realize he needs time off, but like others I am left to wonder when his next paying job is going to be.

In fairness, I think most of Ben's globe trotting has involved work - just not acting. I don't think he's actually taking time off, as a lot of people seem to think...he's done a lot of personal appearances, some voice work, and there have probably been various casting meetings, etc., going on behind the scenes.

Last edited by Tinks (May 29, 2014 6:29 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 29, 2014 6:30 am  #34

Still not proper work...
But if he's happy, I am.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 29, 2014 6:42 am  #35

jenosborn wrote:

nakahara wrote:

If you open up your fridge and Benedict Cumberbatch falls out of it because he is suddenly everywhere, ...

...not a problem here.    

I wouldn´t mind either. But some of the people who are not his fans could have bit of a problem with this.

Last edited by nakahara (May 29, 2014 6:43 am)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 29, 2014 6:50 am  #36

besleybean wrote:

Still not proper work...
But if he's happy, I am.

I don't know if it's what he's happy with or if, as seems likely , it's all filler stuff while he waits and hopes for something involving acting to get going.
I just think that the perception some people have that he's decided to take a year off for a round the world type holiday is not accurate.
I long for some filming to start (I'm not sure about Black Mass - I think that might be a really tiny part), but I bet he's longing to do some acting, even more!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

Board footera