BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2012 12:19 pm  #1

Sherlock's costume- Series 1 and 2

The BAFTA winning costume designer Ray Holman was responsible for the costume design of the pilot episode. Subsequently Sarah Arthur took over as costume designer for both series 1 and 2.

The coat
The Belstaff coat was bought for the pilot episode and continued to be used for the following 2 series. There are actually 3 identical coats. The coat cost over £1,300. Following requests received after Series 1 Belstaff relaunched the coat but it is currently unavailable to buy. Having checked Belstaff's website there is not even one vaguely similar available. The costume department added the red buttonhole detail.

Scarf
The one in Series 1 was by Paul Smith, there was only one, which is a costume nightmare for filming. It is no longer available. Paul Smith does have another navy cashmere scarf equivalent on their website but is is currently unavailable.
www.paulsmith.co.uk/shop
In Series 2 a different scarf(ves) were used. This scarf is by Hugo Boss @ Harrods (exclusive) but again is no longer available. It costs £39.99.

Gloves
These are by Paul Smith and...are no longer available. They are in two-tone black and grey. There is an update but it has no holes cut just above the knuckles and has a knitted cuff (so not much like them really). They cost £175

Watch
Sherlock's watch is a Rotary Vintage Stainless Steel watch GS02424-21. It is available! It costs £97.

Shirts
These are various makes and ranged in price from £150-£460. The purple one was the most expensive. It is made by Dolce and Gabbana. It has a lilac pinstripe and...is no longer available.

Suits
All suits are by Spencer Hart and cost from £495. Spencer Hart is based at:
39 Saville Row, London, W15 3QB.
The costume department bought 3 suits and an extra jacket.

Shoes
Yves Saint Laurent and cost up to £500. They are available. Eton lace-up in black leather.
YSL address is: 171-172 Sloan Street, London,SW1X 9QG
The costume department also doubled these shoes with ones from Poste (much cheaper) and a third pair were bought at TX Maxx.

Blue Dressing Gown
Derek Rose- Woburn 8 Navy Robe. Cost £279.99. Available from Harrods, 87-135 Brompton Road, London, SW1X 7XL. Derek Rose is based in Saville Row, London.
www.harrods.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 1:04 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's costume- Series 1 and 2

Great summary, I am now hoping that someone can share a few patterns too for those of us who like sew?

E.g., http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/sherlock-coat-womans-version

July 2, 2012 8:44 pm  #3

I am female, but I really want that coat. Sigh. I would even wear 5-inch heels just to pull it off if I had to.
In your countries, do they retire the number or the jersey (shirt) of a famous or well-loved player, so that no one on that team will ever have that number again? Perhaps that is the fate of the purple shirt and the coat.
I never noticed the lilac stripes - even in HD. Perhaps there's a new limerick in there somewhere.
Thank you for the summary!

July 2, 2012 11:07 pm  #4

I am pretty sure if you adjust the hemline you can pull this coat off without heels.. that's the beauty of that cut. However, you need a waist to speak off as this gives it the unique silhouette.

July 3, 2012 2:52 am  #5

The Doctor wrote:

I am pretty sure if you adjust the hemline you can pull this coat off without heels.. that's the beauty of that cut. However, you need a waist to speak off as this gives it the unique silhouette.

Thank you. I am blesssed with small waist. But as much as I like to sew, I hate to do alterations. I'd rather make a coat from scratch than hem one. 

December 3, 2012 2:21 pm  #6

Silly question: I don't suppose anyone has any information on his stripy pyjama pants at all? Probably expensive like everything else but I'd kill for a pair because they look insanely comfy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

April 1, 2013 8:45 am  #7

I am pretty sure if you adjust the hemline you can pull this coat off without heels..

May 21, 2013 1:12 pm  #8

Here it is, clean and simple; epic Sherlock coat and scarf = sexiest Sherlock Holmes outfit ever! 
I would love to have that coat <3

-------------------------------------------------------

June 25, 2013 9:57 am  #9

You need a waist to speak off as this gives it the unique silhouette.

Please delete the link from your signature. Thanks. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is nothing funny about sexy nurse costumes. This sarcastic festival reflects, rather, an infernal demand for revenge by children on the adult world.

Last edited by SusiGo (June 25, 2013 10:09 am)

August 12, 2013 12:41 am  #10

Hello everyone! I'm new here (so I hope I'm at the correct place) and I got a problem.. I'm desperately looking for the bag Sherlock uses in episode 3 of series 1. He carries in it his camera when he visits Connie Prince's house.

I've searched all the internet and haven't found a clue. But maybe it's because of my bad searching skills ;).

I would be so grateful if someone could help me. Thanks in advance!

Board footera