BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2014 11:56 am  #461

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

Exactly. I am sometimes getting a bit tired of posting all the evidence only to hear "that is not what they intended", "it will never happen", "it is just bromance". Especially regarding what Mycroft says about coincidence. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 27, 2014 11:58 am  #462

Creating/writing a tv show and coincidence... yeah, maybe once or twice, but not in every single episode over the course of four years...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 27, 2014 12:16 pm  #463

Despite my stance on Johnlock, I never said that Johnlockers never had scenes(though, I read some meta that goes overboard as well as shove Sherlock or John in scenes that make no sense in context but try to destroy the chemistry of another character between these two). There are loads of them because Sherlock and John are basicially the main characters. I do feel like you guys are being strung along. Since S3, I know a lot have been convinced Johnlock would happen, but I feel like you guys are going to be told by the writers: "What? You thought we would actually put these two together? Not what we intend! Sorry."

May 27, 2014 12:19 pm  #464

Probably we should go back to topic now. But it was basically S3 that turned me from a part-time to a full-time Johnlocker.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 27, 2014 12:23 pm  #465

Topic?

Oh, I would like for Sherlock to have sex.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 27, 2014 12:25 pm  #466

Lots! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 27, 2014 1:25 pm  #467

Harriet wrote:

Agree. And when I think of arguments like "I just don't want it to be like that", I wonder who is actually making things up.

How does someone who feels strongly "I don't want it to be like that" even watch the show?  The whole show reeks of Johnlock, maybe not in every scene, but in a large portion of them. I don't think I'd watch a show where something was so blatant but that I objected to. I do wonder why the no-johnlock people are even watching. Or how they can.

May 27, 2014 1:28 pm  #468

SolarSystem wrote:

It's quite interesting that it's mostly the Johnlockers who find proof after proof after hints after hints after proof for their Johnlock theory, whereas most anti-Johnlockers rarely present any proof. At least no proof that's based on what we actually see in the show.

It would be hard to present proof refuting something that's so in-your-face. After all, if every time you sat down to watch, a herd of horses galloped by, wouldn't it be hard to prove they didn't? Or that those noisy galloping beasts kicking up all that dust as they run by are really pussycats? Or nothing at all, just a figment of the imagination?

May 27, 2014 1:30 pm  #469

tonnaree wrote:

Topic? Oh, I would like for Sherlock to have sex.   

With John.

There, we kept it on topic, and got our johnlock agenda out there as well.  heh

May 27, 2014 2:03 pm  #470

I swear so many times it seems the "proof" offered by non-johnlockers all boils down to a flat " You're Wrong It Doesn't Exsist."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 27, 2014 2:23 pm  #471

Yes, tonnaree. They love each other, but they are not in love. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 27, 2014 3:20 pm  #472

ancientsgate wrote:

I do wonder why the no-johnlock people are even watching. Or how they can.

Maybe they watch the show for it's story and complex characters? Many people can watch a show for different reasons. Not everyone watches just for Johnlock or to see their favorite ship come to life. That's the reason why I watch the show primary. Ships is just a great bonus for me. 

Okay, back on topic of Sherlock's sexuality, I still think Sherlock views sex as an animalistic desire he is above doing despite his sexuality. 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 27, 2014 3:22 pm)

May 27, 2014 3:22 pm  #473

And where exactly do you see this view represented in the show? I only see what may be insecurity and a distancing from emotions in general, at least in series 1. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 27, 2014 3:26 pm  #474

Yes, sex doesn't alarm him.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 27, 2014 3:32 pm  #475

SusiGo wrote:

And where exactly do you see this view represented in the show? I only see what may be insecurity and a distancing from emotions in general, at least in series 1. 

I don't see insecurity in Series 1 Sherlock. He's so overconfident in TSiP and TGG especially. Also, due to the fact that when he mentions sentiment or love, he views such negative light like when he says "Love is a Much More Vicious Motivator".  He distances his emotions because he views them as distractions towards his work like love, guilt, caring. But of course, we do see it seep through now and again.

In Series 2, his comment he says: If I wanted to look at naked woman, I would borrow John's laptop.

He seems to be like rolling his eyes mentally, scoffing not the fact it is women, but the fact that John succumbs to such desires so easily. 

@mrshouse: Sex does alarm him, especially the expression on his face when Mycroft says it as well as how when sex is mentioned, he is shocked and awkward. 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 27, 2014 3:39 pm)

May 27, 2014 3:48 pm  #476

Awkward, this is what I wanted to say when I mentioned insecurity. Always in connection with women, btw. Not with John at Angelo's, not when Jim from IT hits on him.  

And as for series 1 - I do indeed see insecurity (I am not talking about sex here). The look on his face in TBB when he introduces John and is reduced from "friend" to "colleague" in front of a smirking Seb. In TGG(?) when they poke fun at him at the yard because John mentioned his ignorance of astronomy in the blog. And these are just two examples. Of course he is confident but only as long as he can revel in his own deductions and show his brilliance. 

May 27, 2014 3:55 pm  #477

SusiGo wrote:

Awkward, this is what I wanted to say when I mentioned insecurity. Always in connection with women, btw. Not with John at Angelo's, not when Jim from IT hits on him.

Yeah. Girlfriends are not really his area. But I see that statement towards Sherlock's view on women, which seemed to one of distrust and not knowing women well, which improves in Series 2. 

His expression when he found Jim's number under the dish before he told Molly was one of shock.

And as for series 1 - I do indeed see insecurity (I am not talking about sex here). The look on his face in TBB when he introduces John and is reduced from "friend" to "colleague" in front of a smirking Seb. In TGG(?) when they poke fun at him at the yard because John mentioned his ignorance of astronomy in the blog. And these are just two examples. Of course he is confident but only as long as he can revel in his own deductions and show his brilliance. 

Oh! I was referencing insecurity in sex, not those scenes. No, I agree with you on those scenes. Sherlock really seemed insecure and vulnerable in dealing with Seb. Though, in TGG, he seems really frustrated at John for mentioning his lack of knowledge of any department. 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 27, 2014 4:00 pm)

May 27, 2014 4:03 pm  #478

Did we ever consider that this very Sherlock is clever, brilliant, brutal in his open language to just everyone, might feel uncomfortable because he might not be for the casual sex? The hot sex Irene provides, fulfilling hot phantasies? Or maybe Janine cornering him and snogging for a good story to sell? Maybe he would rather commit to a person with whom he holds an emotional connection as well. It might be he has not had to much sexual expirience up to now, but he is not a virgin.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 27, 2014 4:13 pm  #479

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

His expression when he found Jim's number under the dish before he told Molly was one of shock.

We really must be watching different shows then, because I don't see the slightest hint of shock there. He takes the card with the number from under the dish in a matter of fact kind of way. He already gave Molly evidence for why Jim is gay, and this is just another piece of evidence.
I see lots of things in that scene, but no shock, at least not on Sherlock's side. Molly on the other hand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEcYGe0hzrw

May 27, 2014 4:37 pm  #480

Oh I definitely think there's a :
'I can't believe this guy is coming onto me' moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera