BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2014 8:26 am  #101

Re: Fargo Discussion (WITH SPOILERS)

This episode was crazy. The whole time I was like "what? what?!? WHAT?!?"

Last edited by Pav (May 23, 2014 8:27 am)

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

May 23, 2014 8:45 pm  #102

Right…  right, of course!  Heard of the interesting phenomenon before, but only in passing awareness.  But, uh…  still?  In an area with winter blizzards going on, and frozen lakes??      
(I'm just gonna imagine for mental context some fisher got a little dynamite-happy) 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 25, 2014 11:33 pm  #103

This is becoming too much for me.
Especially the typical american police overkilling everybody, not even opening their eyes...

And I couldn't watch that scene with Lorne and the knife...

Everytime I'm asking myself, why am I watching this?

Poor fish btw...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

May 26, 2014 5:53 am  #104

My husband is most amused:
He sits there reading his book while I'm squirming in my chair, spending most of the time with my eyes closed or saying: oh my god...
This has been the biggest test of my watching life: I do not do violence and never want to watch anything  as violent as this again.
But it's very good and they are all brilliant!
Very dark humour there, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 26, 2014 7:36 am  #105

Yeah, I also don't like this strong violence, especially the way it is shown.
This is why I stopped watching Game of Thrones with my hubby.

May 26, 2014 2:04 pm  #106

Oh is that violent, too?
Maybe I won't bother watching it, then!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 26, 2014 2:56 pm  #107

Game of Thrones is quite graphicaly violent.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 26, 2014 4:33 pm  #108

Thanks for thr warnings!

May 26, 2014 6:26 pm  #109

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing the stereotypical reputation our Hollywood has sometimes with attitude towards violence, but it struck me curious/very intriguing that a couple of you so far have thrown up your hands so to speak about the show being 'typical american style'.  Maybe not so much in certain specific ways or same style, but aren't shows in other countries like that sometimes?  I know the Brits definitely have a dark (or more dry?) humor thing going on at times and reputation for different style of tv shows, but… yeah, again, it's the way in which they show it. 

Just saying it doesn't seem purely an 'american' thing so much as also a 'Fargo'/Coen brothers thing, and just found it thoughtfully interesting people put it that way.  Depends on the person's sense of humor/okayness with it, I suppose (I mean, I enjoy the also-guilty Game of Thrones, but wouldn't watch Dexter or Hannibal).  I even found the last one a little over the top, but…  eh, we're all still watching for Martin, aren't we?   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

May 26, 2014 7:02 pm  #110

I'm watching for all of them, as they are all brilliant...
But this is a true story and is truly horrific!

May 26, 2014 7:33 pm  #111

If it makes you feel better BB this is definitely NOT a true story!! The same text was flashed up in the beginning of the film which actually felt a lot more like it might have been a true story. I felt pretty duped when I learnt that that was just a cinematic device
In the T.V series I liked the warning initially as it was a link to the film, but now it annoys me as the TV show seems more based on mythology and parable and definitely not "true".

Last edited by NotYourHousekeeperDear (May 26, 2014 7:34 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

May 26, 2014 7:37 pm  #112

Yeah, apparently it starts with a true story but then goes off...
I would like to see the film.
The dark humour is very clever.
I'm just a wuss

May 26, 2014 9:27 pm  #113

Russell wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing the stereotypical reputation our Hollywood has sometimes with attitude towards violence, but it struck me curious/very intriguing that a couple of you so far have thrown up your hands so to speak about the show being 'typical american style'. Maybe not so much in certain specific ways or same style, but aren't shows in other countries like that sometimes? I know the Brits definitely have a dark (or more dry?) humor thing going on at times and reputation for different style of tv shows, but… yeah, again, it's the way in which they show it.

Just saying it doesn't seem purely an 'american' thing so much as also a 'Fargo'/Coen brothers thing, and just found it thoughtfully interesting people put it that way. Depends on the person's sense of humor/okayness with it, I suppose (I mean, I enjoy the also-guilty Game of Thrones, but wouldn't watch Dexter or Hannibal). I even found the last one a little over the top, but… eh, we're all still watching for Martin, aren't we?

I agree.  It sort of makes me laugh when these kind of stereotypes pop up because people are usually looking through a very narrow lense.  I don't see American shows in this genre as any more violent/gory/shocking than shows in this genre from any other country.  You could, perhaps, make an argument about the prevalence of guns but that's really about it.  I don't think Fargo is any more violent or upsetting than what I saw of Utopia or Misfits, for example, but maybe that's just me.

I find this far more stomach turning than anything that's been on Fargo (made doubly so, since it aired a month after the Sandy Hook massacre):

I understand people having an aversion to violence when they're looking for entertainment.  Even as somebody who doesn't mind it (I like noir, detective stories, and dark humor so violence often plays a part in the things I enjoy) I sometimes find it to be too much.  But I don't understand dismissing it as an "American" thing.  Americans don't have a monopoly on violent media, and in many cases aren't even the worst offenders.

I think it's also worth repeating that there is no part of Fargo that is a true story.  At all.  It is a work of fiction from start to finish.  Enjoy it (or don't...) as such and don't worry about the real life people.  There aren't any.

May 26, 2014 11:13 pm  #114

Holy crap.  What show is that clip from?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 27, 2014 7:50 am  #115

Well I didn't watch the clip.
But the behavior of the police about the guy tucked to a gun was typically american police to me... Shoot on everything that moves, until it stops, even if it is moving because of the impact of your bullets...

Also the whole attitude of the police "investigating" is quite clichee...

May 27, 2014 6:54 pm  #116

The Television Critics Association Awards have announced their 2014 nominees meaning that Fargo has their first nominations of the season.

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials
American Horror Story: Coven (FX)
Broadchurch (BBC America)
Fargo (FX)
The Returned (SundanceTV)
True Detective (HBO)

Outstanding New Program
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)
Fargo (FX)
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
True Detective (HBO)

True Detective is obviously going to win (and, interestingly, was nominated in both Drama and Miniseries categories), but it's still a nice way to kick off the season. 

May 27, 2014 6:55 pm  #117

tonnaree wrote:

Holy crap.  What show is that clip from?

Utopia.  It's a good show, but very intense and doesn't hold back on the violence.  Definitely not for everyone.  It's getting a remake in the US.  I don't remember what network is doing it, but David Fincher is directing so it will certainly get a lot of attention when it's released.

May 27, 2014 6:56 pm  #118

Good stuff.

May 27, 2014 6:56 pm  #119

zeratul wrote:

Well I didn't watch the clip.
But the behavior of the police about the guy tucked to a gun was typically american police to me... Shoot on everything that moves, until it stops, even if it is moving because of the impact of your bullets...

Also the whole attitude of the police "investigating" is quite clichee...

I see.  Well, I'd ask for examples because if something is "typical" then providing evidence of such should be no problem, however I can already tell that I wouldn't be given any so I won't bother.  The only response I have at this point is that "shoot on everything that moves, until it stops" is absolutely not a typical American law enforcement response.  Which is why it's on television.  Because a heightened reality is the only place something that nuts would ever be deemed acceptable and because it's something that carries shock value (shocking = not typical).  I will also point out that all of the tv critics who reviewed that episode pointed to that specific scene as the most unbelievable thing that's happened on the show so far.  Including the fish.

I obviously made a mistake in thinking this was going to be a thoughtful conversation about violence in media when really it was just excuse to wag fingers at dumb 'mericans and their dumb SWAT teams.  I apologize.  Please carry on, I won't interrupt again.

May 27, 2014 9:25 pm  #120

besleybean wrote:

I'm watching for all of them, as they are all brilliant...
But this is a true story and is truly horrific!

Oh, but of course!!     Love them all.  Just commenting that despite the continuing strangeness of it, most of us started watching because of Martin.    Glad it seemed to get a pretty good reception.  Although, if you take a look at the Wiki page on the episodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_(TV_series)#Episodes), look at the viewership numbers.  Kinda sad after the initial curiosity/excitement of the premiere, it's really gone down!  Guess people didn't like the premise as much as the movie (or enough to stick with).  Just interesting.  I wonder how it's doing across the pond?

And asyouwish - yes!  It just varies in tone/style/sense of humor/whether the show is using it for shock value, as you said.  I haven't watched Utopia or Misfits, and as already mentioned above, don't really get into super dark/gory shows even over here, like Hannibal and Dexter, but already picked up the sense they were quite harsh as well.  Oddly enough, I don't mind (even enjoy) the style/obvious fantastical way things are handled in Fargo and Game of Thrones.  It's just the way they handle the dark twisty-ness of it, and getting you to root even for the bad guy, and not all the violence simply being 'for the hell of it'.  Sometimes that gratuitous attitude with it is probably why there's a media stereotype with it, like you said.  Or how some places overly focus on it, you think?  Even the Fargo movie was based on a bunch of actual murder incidents melded together (which is why the 'disclaimer' that the show also does is that much more amusing as a story device). 
Heck, even knowing there'd be a body count as the show went on, I was still "aww, man!" when they did it to Mr. Numbers!  Goes to show how interesting they make everyone.  I found that pair hilarious…  What's Mr. Wrench going to do now?    (and yes, I curiously looked up their names, since were never mentioned!)

Board footera