BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2014 1:24 pm  #21

Re: The Interviews Thread

thanks Susi - will watch that later.
Just out of interest, does anyone know of any footage of Tom Hids speaking about Ben?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 21, 2014 4:33 pm  #22

It's been said by people that know him that he's quite quiet (apart from his bursts of hyperactivity, I suppose ), so I don't know if he talks so much in interviews as a way of trying to be extra obliging and giving as full an answer as possible? I can't imagine he talks in this way in conversation with friends!!
He's lovely to listen to but it's been mentioned by a couple of journalists that he "rambles on", and I hate when they seem to mock him for it:/

Last edited by Tinks (May 21, 2014 4:33 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 21, 2014 7:20 pm  #23

SusiGo wrote:

Did we have this one? It is from the Park Theatre Anniversary and he eloquently talks about theatre, Tom Hiddleston and watching Peter O'Toole on stage as a teenager (plus him being videobombed for a change):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPdU9_RtPj0

He is ... just amazing! I watched a lot of interviews which were boring, because the artists only answer with 2 or 3 empty sentences.
But if Benedict is asked something he always tries to tell ... a short story. And I hang on his lips. Not only because they are beautiful  or I'm adoring his voice.  It's also fascinating what he has to say!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 21, 2014 7:25 pm  #24

Tinks wrote:

It's been said by people that know him that he's quite quiet (apart from his bursts of hyperactivity, I suppose ), so I don't know if he talks so much in interviews as a way of trying to be extra obliging and giving as full an answer as possible? I can't imagine he talks in this way in conversation with friends!!
He's lovely to listen to but it's been mentioned by a couple of journalists that he "rambles on", and I hate when they seem to mock him for it:/

He can come to me and ramble all day, I wouldn´t mind a bit! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 21, 2014 8:09 pm  #25

Ha ha, only now read your post, Tinks.
Just wrote how I am impressed of him being that smart in interviews. And you mentioned something "slightly" different. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

May 21, 2014 8:33 pm  #26

Oh I wasn't criticising him, honest!
I love his smartness, too, and could happily listen to him all day
I was really just remarking on all the lovely and different  sides to his character, and at the same time being a bit protective of him I guess - I was thinking of one press interview in particular where I felt the journalist was a mean spirited about his style of answering questions, if I'm honest.

Last edited by Tinks (May 22, 2014 5:30 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 22, 2014 4:50 am  #27

I think it also depends in the questions and how they are asked. In "good" interviews his answers always seemed interesting and meaningful to me. Do I know the interview you are talking about?

(Tony Hadley)

May 22, 2014 5:29 am  #28

It was a newspaper interview gently, and I can't remember which 'paper it was.
Just the tone of it stuck in my mind because it annoyed me.
As an example: the interviewer asks about his kidnap experience but doesn't include one quote from Ben's reply, preferring to mention that he talks "on and on" about "every small detail" - well would you expect him to brush over such an experience?! And why ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer?! Grr!!
Honestly, Benedict seems to have been charming and smart, but the journo clearly has an agenda to paint a picture of him as a "posh eccentric" which is how a lot of our Press like to portray him.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 22, 2014 5:36 am  #29

"Posh eccentric", ey? Think , those journalists can't differ between film and reality. An actor who plays Sherlock, Khan and Assange HAS to be eccentric of course. *shaking my head*

(Tony Hadley)

May 22, 2014 5:36 am  #30

Ah, jealousy is a terrible thing and Benedict should rise above it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 22, 2014 5:41 am  #31

I had a wonderful dream I was interviewing him last night.... I cannot remember for the life of me what I asked or what he said, but it was wonderful just looking at his face.

If the dream ever comes true I'll report back here

I'm clueing for looks

May 22, 2014 5:43 am  #32

Actually you've reminded me of something.
But it was Martin.
A while back I had a dream where he and Amanda were being interviewed on set, but I can't remember what was said...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 22, 2014 5:44 am  #33

If the dream comes true can you tell us beforehand so we can all come along to - err - help?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 22, 2014 7:24 am  #34

Tinks, I remember reading that interview, too, but just like you I can't remember the newspaper/magazine. It might even be that we've talked about it in another thread at the time, but I could be wrong.
But you're asking the right question: Why ask him a question like that if you're not interested in the answer? I'd say journalists should know by now that Benedict tends to be very elaborate in his answers. So you either prepare for it and live with it - or leave it. I mean, I can understand that most journalists would like to ask as many questions as possible, and Benedict certainly doesn't make it easy for them when it comes to that. On the other hand, his style of answering makes it very easy to print the best interview you've ever had the fortune to print. In my opinion. Because his answers are intelligent, interesting, articulate and dedicated.  

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 22, 2014 7:25 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 22, 2014 7:37 am  #35

What I said, Solar.
Benedict was interviewed so many times already. And if I a journalist prepares for an interview he/she should know about Benedict's way of answering.

(Tony Hadley)

May 22, 2014 7:44 am  #36

Or you come up with something like Harper's Bazaar and ask him things like "Money or sex?". 

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 22, 2014 7:45 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 22, 2014 8:03 am  #37

Yes, another good example.
When is your turn for an interview then, Solar? I really would appreciate that!

(Tony Hadley)

May 22, 2014 8:26 am  #38

Tinks wrote:

It was a newspaper interview gently, and I can't remember which 'paper it was.
Just the tone of it stuck in my mind because it annoyed me.
As an example: the interviewer asks about his kidnap experience but doesn't include one quote from Ben's reply, preferring to mention that he talks "on and on" about "every small detail" - well would you expect him to brush over such an experience?! And why ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer?! Grr!!
Honestly, Benedict seems to have been charming and smart, but the journo clearly has an agenda to paint a picture of him as a "posh eccentric" which is how a lot of our Press like to portray him.

I probably read that terrible interview you mentioned. It began with the charming words "Benedict Cumberbatch is hideous" and continued with similar "pearls" to the very end. I rolled my eyes so hard reading it my head started to spin.
I was quite surprised the reporter even dared to inquire about Ben´s kidnapping. How dense must you be to ask things like "How was it when you was kidnapped? Was it fun when you were trapped in a boot of a car, hehehe?" I thought the journalists would be just a tiny bit more tactful when touching such traumatic incidents in person´s life, but those people obviously learned their job from Kitty Reilly. 

You are also right about that "posh eccentric" image they try to construct around Benedict. One reporter even demonised Ben´s statement that he would send a rose to his girlfriend every week, if he had any. She tried to paint this romantic, gentlemanly gesture that Benedict witnessed in his own family (his father Timothy was doing this for his mother) as something pathological. She was so callous in this endeavour that even the most oblivious of her readers called her article "a piece of fanfiction". 

But no surprise there, journalism has a very low standard nowadays.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 22, 2014 8:35 am  #39

Ugh, I'm glad I didn't read the second one you mention, nakahara no wonder he's so careful with journalists these days.
Yes, that first one began by saying how dreadful he looked the first time they met (he was in costume and tired from filming), how very nice!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 22, 2014 8:38 am  #40

nakahara wrote:

How dense must you be to ask things like "How was it when you was kidnapped? Was it fun when you were trapped in a boot of a car, hehehe?" I thought the journalists would be just a tiny bit more tactful when touching such traumatic incidents in person´s life, but those people obviously learned their job from Kitty Reilly.

You are kidding ... seriously ... that can't be. Such a sensitive topic ... unbelievable to ask about that in a "funny" way.

And the comparison with Kitty Reilly ... brilliant one.

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera