BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2014 7:01 pm  #1

Black Mass

Ok, so I am not sure it is true, but here you are:

http://www.boston.com/entertainment/movies/2014/05/21/benedict-cumberbatch-take-bulger-role-black-mass/lTeJtQLzss4DhAEqryGo3M/story.html

Benedict with Johnny Depp? And they already started filming... I wonder if he is so desperate to do some acting or whether this was this mysterious project he said he was not allowed to talk about.

May 21, 2014 7:14 pm  #2

Re: Black Mass

Well, I certainly hope it's true. I love Johnny Depp!  Having him and Benedict in the same movie would be awesome! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 21, 2014 7:19 pm  #3

Finally something! Thank you for this excellent news! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 21, 2014 7:26 pm  #4

I hope it's true, it would be awesome to see Johnny Depp and Benedict as brothers!  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 21, 2014 7:38 pm  #5

Wow, Benedict would be very busy man in the next few years. But I'm happy, next film to wait for

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 21, 2014 7:44 pm  #6

Oooh! Now this really is interesting!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 21, 2014 8:04 pm  #7

Marta wrote:

I hope it's true, it would be awdefinitely see Johnny Depp and Benedict as brothers!  

I'm not sure if I find it "awesome" but it would be definitely interesting.
But I need some more to believe it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 21, 2014 8:06 pm  #8

I also found some information on this here:

http://cumberbatchforum.tumblr.com/post/86423756376/benedict-cumberbatch-joins-johnny-depp-in-black-mass

There it says that Benedict talked about this project when he visited The Guardian last month.
Well... I'm not particularly keen on Johnny Depp, and the last movies he made were just not my cup of tea. Nevertheless... Benedict seems to be getting very busy now...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 21, 2014 8:10 pm  #9

...the director definitely sounds promising though, Scott Cooper did "Crazy Heart" and "Out of the Furnace". Haven't seen the second one yet (but read lots of good stuff about it) and loved "Crazy Heart".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 21, 2014 8:12 pm  #10

Right, that could be true then. Which I would love. Benedict ... acting again. Finally!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

May 21, 2014 8:15 pm  #11

And since they seem to have started filming already, Benedict could do this and then wait for Martin to finish Richard and then they could both go back to 221B...

May 21, 2014 8:19 pm  #12

Which would be ... the best thing ever!!!

(Tony Hadley)

May 21, 2014 8:22 pm  #13

Yes, I would love to see him act again. Does anyone know when the story is set? I googled his character who is 80 this year. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 21, 2014 8:26 pm  #14

John Connolly and James "Whitey" Bulger grew up together on the streets of South Boston. Decades later, in the late 1970s, they would meet again. By then, Connolly was a major figure in the FBI's Boston office and Whitey had become godfather of the Irish Mob. What happened between them - a dirty deal to trade secrets and take down Boston's Italian Mafia in the process - would spiral out of control, leading to murders, drug dealing, racketeering indictments, and, ultimately, to Bulger making the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List.
(Source: IMDB)

Release Date seems to be October 2015.

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 21, 2014 8:28 pm)

May 21, 2014 8:29 pm  #15

Thank you, Solar. I read that Johnny Depp will be nearly unrecognisable and be as good as bald. So I would say it will be set later in his life when he was hiding from the police and finally convicted and imprisoned. Billy Bulger is five years his junior. 
Ha, I love speculating and then being surprised what they make of it. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 21, 2014 8:36 pm  #16

Look at this:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1795563!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/depp17f-1-web.jpg

http://cdn1.bostonmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/deppbulger.jpg

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 21, 2014 8:38 pm)

May 21, 2014 8:39 pm  #17

Oh, sh**. Gulp. I think this would be the only hairstyle I could not bear. 
But I think this will not happen. Billy Bulger has very full hair. 

May 21, 2014 8:44 pm  #18

Yeah, I'm sure all Johnny Depp fans will be quite thrilled, seeing him like this...
Let's just hope that his brother will look a little bit... different.

May 21, 2014 8:46 pm  #19

Well, when he has full hair now … Sorry for being such a hair fetishist and sorry to all men with a receding hairline - I know it is not your fault - but it is really not very attractive. 

These were my shallow two minutes. 

May 21, 2014 8:51 pm  #20

Well, it depends...

http://feminspire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/patrick-stewart1.jpg

But seriously, nothing bad about two shallow minutes. I'll gladly admit that I hope to see Benedict with hair in this (and any other) movie.

Btw, this film is also based on a book:
http://www.amazon.de/Black-Mass-Whitey-Bulger-Paperback/dp/B00BQ1N4UK/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400705455&sr=1-3&keywords=Black+Mass

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 21, 2014 8:51 pm)

Board footera