BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2014 11:46 am  #21

Re: How Much Benedict's Looks Have Changed

Well, I think that even when he's on a Red Carpet it should only be his own business and nobody else's what he's wearing. I mean, I'm not particularly fond of those two velvet suits he was wearing to the two premieres of the "Hobbit", but if he likes them - and even more important: feels comfortable in them -  then that's just perfect and exactly how it should be.

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 20, 2014 11:46 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 20, 2014 11:48 am  #22

Tinks wrote:

If you're shallow, Solar, then I think many of us are, too - me included!!
And I agree, he's absolutely looking better than ever right now - if you take the Oscars as just one of many many examples, he looked as good, in fact better, than any of the other guys there

We all spend a far amount of time in the shallow end of the pool.   Observe what thread in the forum has the most pages!  
I"m just saying. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 20, 2014 11:53 am  #23

indeed - I always did prefer to splash around in the shallow end!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 20, 2014 12:03 pm  #24

tonnaree wrote:

Tinks wrote:

If you're shallow, Solar, then I think many of us are, too - me included!!
And I agree, he's absolutely looking better than ever right now - if you take the Oscars as just one of many many examples, he looked as good, in fact better, than any of the other guys there

We all spend a far amount of time in the shallow end of the pool.   Observe what thread in the forum has the most pages!  
I"m just saying. 

I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
*whistles and strolls away*

@Solar
Well I think that he may have some styling advice before attending events like the Oscars or film premieres but I'm sure he wouldn't wear anything that he absolutely doesn't like.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 20, 2014 12:35 pm  #25

Personally, I see nothing strange with how his looks have changed. He´s between his thirties and forties, when the signs of aging start to be apparent on a person. So what? It was unrealistic to await that he will look like a teenager forever.

I think his manly looks are as attractive as his youthful looks.

That straight tall cypress I beheld
It robbed me of my mind and threw me down.
Those wanton eyes have enslaved my soul.
If thou desirest to preserve thy heart shut then thy eyes.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 20, 2014 8:29 pm  #26

Yes, to clarify, I was talking about when Ben is " on duty".  A lot of stars have a stylist for special occasions.  A stylist could provide guidance with regard to clothes, hair.  This is just for work related events where formal attire is required.  On his personal time he can wear whatever he wants, of course.  Yes Nakahara, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head.  He is aging (as we are all), and no, he cannot look like a young man forever.  I keep forgetting that he is pushing forty.

March 3, 2015 10:40 am  #27

I do think Benedict's face has matured quite a lot over the past few years. I watched all 3 seasons of Sherlock for the first time over about 2-3 weeks (in Jan/Feb this year), and then I watched the pilot and was struck by his angelic, baby-faced good looks after having gotten used to his more chiselled features by season 3. Since then I've been watching as many films and YouTube clips as I can get my hands on. I haven't managed to watch much from his earlier career yet except for some Fortysomething clips (what a cutie) but I'm very attracted to him as he looks now, perhaps more so than when he was younger.

I am not shocked that he has changed over such a short period of time - he has said himself that he was a late developer, and I guess age catches up with us all. He has also been working hard, and no doubt has a lot of physical stress associated with preparing for his different roles, as well as all the travel, interviews, promotional work etc. I think he is gorgeous, and really growing into his face well  .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 3, 2015 10:53 am  #28

I have to admit, this thread surprised me a bit. I've never thought he looked aged, old or worn out. He looks absolutely amazing for a 38 year old, I think.

And I honestly don't care how he dresses or what "stylists" would say. I've never seen him wear anything that didn't look good while being on duty. 

The only time I've reacted negatively to his appeareance is S1 Sherlock. He's so thin it's almost painful to watch those episodes. (Also, to be REALLY shallow, I prefer S1/S2 hairstyle to S3, but that's neither here nor there).

So, yeah, there are some pics where I feel he look too thin. Not that I think it makes him look old or worn or anything like that, just.... eat some, Ben!

Last edited by Vhanja (March 3, 2015 10:54 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 3, 2015 11:09 am  #29

I know what you mean, kaye. I was also surprised how quickly age can change a face. In those pictures, it looks a bit like a jump from college student to father and senior :D (I don't mean that in a negative way at all)

But I don't think it's unnaturally quick. We are just not used to look at faces that way. With friends and family, we never notice because we see them so often. And having Benedicts pictures all over the place all the time, it's similar - we adjust to the changes slowly, and that's why they never seem huge. But if I take pictures of me and my friends from six years ago, I am also shocked about how *old* we got in so few years... well. Who said time was relative...

But I think it's also about, what do you call it, reassurance. He has the reassurance of knowing that he has already done some good work, that he has established a position in his job and gets acknowledged for it. I think that shows in a face as well - confidence. And also happiness, what with marriage and all. I think in younger age, the facial expression is just not as... em, I miss the right word, something like *static* but not in a negative way... I mean, young people can have this searching expression, this expectation in their faces, like they set their eyes on a distant goal and are eager to get there. I think older people loose that - and I adore the few who don't.

Apart from that, I would probably prefer to compare role pictures to role pictures, and off-duty to off-duty pictures. Make up and hair can make a difference indeed.

"It is what it is."

March 3, 2015 11:12 am  #30

I agree with the hair do, I'm shallow enough for that as well.
He definitely looked much too thin and not very healthy after STID, I remember this Graham Norton show... ugh. I'm happy that he quit smoking and looks more after getting his nutritions now he is in a stable relationship and will look after a baby soon.
And I very much agree with ukaunz, his more mature face now is so handsome and interesting! In S3 his Sherlock looks much more like a human being that can be loved. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 3, 2015 11:34 am  #31

mrshouse wrote:

I agree with the hair do, I'm shallow enough for that as well.
He definitely looked much too thin and not very healthy after STID, I remember this Graham Norton show... ugh. I'm happy that he quit smoking and looks more after getting his nutritions now he is in a stable relationship and will look after a baby soon.
And I very much agree with ukaunz, his more mature face now is so handsome and interesting! In S3 his Sherlock looks much more like a human being that can be loved. 

Yes! He's almost too otherworldly in S1, much more human in S3.
I loved his look as Khan... those muscles on his lythe body were very sexy, and his face was filled-out in a healthy way but he still has those cheekbones! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 3, 2015 1:36 pm  #32

"Every man over forty is responsible for his face."
--Abraham Lincoln

I think Ben is right on track there, with his character showing through in all the best ways.

As to aging, it struck me right away in watching season 1 of Sherlock that within the same episode he could look 20 in one scene and late 30s in the next, depending on camera angles, lighting, and his own expressions. He doesn't look 20 any more (thank goodness, because that would be creepy!) but his apparent age still varies sharply depending on lighting (dreadful on red carpets, with all those flashes), setting, mood, and role.

Last edited by REReader (March 3, 2015 1:48 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 3, 2015 6:09 pm  #33

ITA REReader.

A lot of the time the way the lighting is done (as well as the make-up and other factors) influences my impression of his features. 

As you point out, RC lights (with the flash bulbs going off continually) really washes his features out and isn't the best. 

And that's a great quote by Lincoln!  Ben's face does show he is on track as well - in all the best ways!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera