BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2014 9:05 am  #1

Chelsea Flower Show

Tonight on BBC2 at 2000. In amongst the flowers, flowers, and more flowers are interviews with Benedict Cumberbatch and Wanda Ventham. Oh, and some more flowers.

May 19, 2014 9:08 am  #2

Re: Chelsea Flower Show

they described him as "a keen gardener" on last night's trailer - now that's something I didn't know! Where would he find the time??!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 19, 2014 9:15 am  #3

Oh thank you. Brilliant to know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 19, 2014 9:21 am  #4

Aw and now I love him even more for some reason... This man keeps getting more and more interesting!!

I wish I had BBC on my telly... but oh well, thank goodness for the internet with videos and pictures! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 19, 2014 9:51 am  #5

This hobby passes to him nicely - gentle beauty of flowers for a gentle soul.

"Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to me to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers our desires, our food, are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers.”

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 19, 2014 6:29 pm  #6

Tinks wrote:

they described him as "a keen gardener" on last night's trailer - now that's something I didn't know! Where would he find the time??!

My thoughts exactly.  And doesn't he live in a flat which I imagine would have limited garden space.  Oh well, 30 mins until the mystery is revealed!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

May 19, 2014 6:31 pm  #7

Biggles86 wrote:

Tinks wrote:

My thoughts exactly. And doesn't he live in a flat which I imagine would have limited garden space. Oh well, 30 mins until the mystery is revealed!!

Last I heard he's currently living on the top floor of a lovley Victorian house.  He may own the whole thing but I don't know for sure.  I've also heard him mention "rooftop gardening."  You'd be amazed at what you can do with a small space if your creative.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 19, 2014 7:16 pm  #8

dartmoordoggers wrote:

Tonight on BBC2 at 2000. In amongst the flowers, flowers, and more flowers are interviews with Benedict Cumberbatch and Wanda Ventham. Oh, and some more flowers.

I love the way you put that.        Aww, this is so sweet!  What a neat event for flower-lovers… plus the addition of those two.   Yes, I heard the 'rooftop gardening' thing as well…  plus, no surprise he likely gets it from his parents… I recall the Moran interview at their house mentioning his dad going out to tend the garden at one point. 
Lovely article with a couple pics and great comments about him for those of us unable to watch yet. 
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/19/benedict-cumberbatch-photos-chelsea-flower-show_n_5352383.html

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 20, 2014 5:29 am  #9

Caught it on YT
A lovely piece - I think his Mum actually out talks him!
He seemed very quiet and thoughtful and sweet - and Monty, the interviewer, was actually listening to them both, which was nice to see

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 20, 2014 8:11 am  #10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 20, 2014 10:24 am  #11

I cant help imagening Sherlock with his mother at the flower show...
Really adorable Ben and his mother .

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

May 20, 2014 11:49 am  #12

And now we also know what Benedict considers to be romantic... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 20, 2014 11:55 am  #13

I thought he seemed quite sad at that point - then I thought, no he's either embarrassed or hungover and that's why he's talking so quietly!

Can I just confess that when his Mum patted his knee and thanked him for bringing her, it brought a tear to my eye
"You'll have a garden as big as this one day" - it seemed like her way of telling him she was proud of his success (I'm such a big softie!)

Last edited by Tinks (May 20, 2014 12:09 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 20, 2014 12:21 pm  #14

Tinks wrote:

"You'll have a garden as big as this one day" - it seemed like her way of telling him she was proud of his success (I'm such a big softie!)

You are not the only softie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

May 20, 2014 1:20 pm  #15

I love it when he says "Sitty down, mother."
But never in my life have I heard a man talk about flowers like that... he really finds something to say about almost anything you could ever think of, even flowers.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 20, 2014 1:22 pm  #16

Tinks wrote:

I thought he seemed quite sad at that point - then I thought, no he's either embarrassed or hungover and that's why he's talking so quietly!

Oh, I belive this was not hangover speaking and that he is a genuinely softspoken and quiet kind of person.
Loved the sound of his voice there, I could listen to it my whole day.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 20, 2014 1:24 pm  #17

This, nakahara!

(Tony Hadley)

May 20, 2014 1:53 pm  #18

He was absolutely spellbinding yesterday - it was almost as though he'd stepped out of the 18th Century, or thereabouts, and found himself in this modern, fast moving world!
At the same time, I wanted to scoop him into the biggest hug:D

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 20, 2014 1:55 pm  #19

How can you not love a man  who loves his mum so?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 20, 2014 7:06 pm  #20

I was gushing through that entire clip, gosh! His relationship with his mother really warms my heart! Good to see them get it so right!

And I just adore the way he talks about things, I mean good gosh he's interesting to listen to isn't he I'd LOVE to have a conversation with him at some point... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera